19:00:17 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 9 November 2020
19:00:17 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Nov  9 19:00:17 2020 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:00:17 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:00:31 <gaba> hey!
19:00:36 <acat> hi
19:01:15 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-2020-keep
19:01:38 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hello!
19:02:42 <sysrqb> o/
19:05:28 <GeKo> o/
19:09:38 <sysrqb> okay
19:10:13 <sysrqb> we have stable release (hopefully) being released today
19:10:31 <sysrqb> that includes a security update for Firefox and the new EOY campaign update on about:tor
19:10:57 <antonela> thanks for it sysrqb
19:11:10 <sysrqb> probably only desktop willbe released today
19:11:42 <sysrqb> and then android stable tomorrow, maybe with alphas for all platforms
19:12:09 <sysrqb> but the alphas may not be released until Wednesday, depending on the time needed for building
19:12:37 <GeKo> and then we start tagging 78.5.0esr :)
19:12:58 <sysrqb> and that is unfortunate, because i would really like an alpha based on 83b this week for android
19:13:24 <sysrqb> right, and then we have the new firefox versions next week
19:13:41 <sysrqb> and those should start building on Wed
19:13:59 <sysrqb> maybe i ask cohosh for some help
19:14:17 <sysrqb> and we can get parallel builds
19:15:06 <sysrqb> in any case, we have a build week with building
19:15:24 <sysrqb> *busy week
19:15:42 * cohosh pops head in
19:15:51 <sysrqb> o/
19:16:08 <cohosh> i can do builds if needed
19:16:19 <sysrqb> thanks :)
19:16:32 <sysrqb> i need to decide what is reasonable and worthwhile
19:16:37 <GeKo> sysrqb: i think it is not unreasonable to take the time for an alpha based on 83
19:16:42 <sysrqb> but i'll let you knowwithin the next days
19:16:51 <GeKo> and release the stable, say, later next week
19:16:52 <sysrqb> *know within
19:16:58 <GeKo> or early the week thereafter
19:17:15 <GeKo> i mean we have the first stable delayed by what? 4 weeks?
19:17:18 <GeKo> 6 weeks?
19:17:24 <sysrqb> heh
19:17:29 <sysrqb> true
19:17:31 <GeKo> so having the second stable delayed by just 1 week
19:17:36 <GeKo> seems like a good progress
19:17:46 <GeKo> we are still adjusting to the new reality
19:18:16 <GeKo> and having a one week delay but a better tested result seems to be not a bad trade-off for now
19:19:27 <GeKo> (actually the third given the chemspill, but the point remains)
19:19:47 <sysrqb> yes, that's true, we can think about this
19:20:01 <sysrqb> but what you suggest is probably what we'll do
19:20:42 <sysrqb> i would like to get ahead of these releaess with Fenix84, though
19:20:55 <GeKo> you are not alone
19:20:56 <sysrqb> lagging behind is painful
19:20:59 <GeKo> i bet ;)
19:21:49 <sysrqb> but taking one more version a little slower than mozilla is probably right correct decision
19:23:43 <sysrqb> okay, on a related topic, we (tentatively) have a roadmapping session on Thursday at 1500 UTC
19:24:18 <sysrqb> this is a meeting for planning Tor Browser 10.5 tasks and projects
19:24:22 <sysrqb> in general
19:24:33 <gaba> ok. is this in BBB?
19:24:35 <sysrqb> that meeting may be here or in #tor-meeting2
19:24:55 <sysrqb> gaba: are you available at that time?
19:25:00 <gaba> yes, I will be
19:25:04 <sysrqb> i know antonela said she's double-booked
19:25:07 <sysrqb> okay, great
19:25:57 <gaba> I can prepare it and be there.
19:26:00 <antonela> should we prepare something for thru?
19:26:20 <sysrqb> this roadmapping will include the remaining S58 tickets, S30 tickets, and general tor browser work we want to accomplish outside of those sponsors
19:26:31 <gaba> ok
19:27:30 <sysrqb> antonela: i can create a pad, and people can add requests/topics you want to discuss (or see in 10.5)
19:27:38 * antonela looks for her wishlist
19:27:42 <sysrqb> heh
19:27:51 <antonela> oki
19:27:56 <gaba> sysrqb: let me do the pad and ill add project/sponsor stuff there too
19:28:03 <sysrqb> we already have a few large projects that will take much of our time
19:28:16 <sysrqb> so i don't think we have a lot of room for adding more
19:28:28 <sysrqb> but i'd like to know what other people want, too
19:28:36 <sysrqb> gaba: okay, will do
19:29:04 <gaba> i will send it to tor-internal@ so other people know this session is happening
19:29:12 <sysrqb> sounds good
19:29:56 <GeKo> gaba: could that go to tor-project instead? or do we have something sekrit in the roadmapping?
19:30:31 <gaba> sure
19:30:41 <gaba> nothing secret. Ill send it to tor-project
19:30:49 <GeKo> thanks
19:32:04 <sysrqb> +1
19:32:17 <GeKo> sysrqb: should i pick up the tor build bustage for macos? you don't have it in your planned work
19:32:33 <GeKo> i think it would be good to have this sorted out so we can pick up the new alpha
19:32:38 <GeKo> in 10.5a4
19:33:04 <sysrqb> oh, that should be on my list
19:33:06 <sysrqb> must've fallen off
19:33:14 <GeKo> long list
19:33:41 <sysrqb> but, i fyou can squeeze that into your week, then i would appreciate it
19:34:02 <sysrqb> buti was thinking
19:34:09 <sysrqb> if you and acat build the alphas
19:34:20 <sysrqb> then i'd use my build machine for debugging the tor bustage
19:34:28 <GeKo> yeah sounds like a plan
19:34:42 <sysrqb> okay
19:34:47 <GeKo> my other server is currently down
19:34:57 <GeKo> so i only have the tpo build machine to debug this kind of stuff
19:35:09 <GeKo> so, i can focus on the alpha instead
19:35:32 <sysrqb> okay, then that's the plan
19:37:04 <sysrqb> moving on to remaining s58 work
19:38:33 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33664
19:38:41 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?milestone_title=Sponsor+58+-++Tor+Browser+Security%2C+Performance%2C+%26+Usability+Improvements
19:39:19 <gaba> there is a bunch of thing sthat we can close
19:40:42 <sysrqb> yes. O1.2 is the largest outstanding/remaining objective
19:40:44 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33656
19:41:04 <sysrqb> along with O2.3 https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33656
19:41:17 <sysrqb> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33660
19:41:44 <GeKo> o2.1 and o2.4 are done, right?
19:41:56 <sysrqb> acat is spending some looking at O2.3
19:42:16 <sysrqb> GeKo: yes, there are some open tickets in 2.4, but i think e can move those out of S58
19:42:25 <sysrqb> *we
19:42:44 <GeKo> oh, and close a bunch of them, too
19:42:49 <sysrqb> yes
19:43:27 <gaba> are you both closing them?
19:43:39 * GeKo is leaning back
19:43:43 <sysrqb> nearly all of the remaining tickets are focused on testing and maintainability
19:44:30 <sysrqb> (i'm not closing tickets, checking boxes, or moving out tickets right now)
19:44:50 <sysrqb> but, overall, this was the plan we agreed on, so that's good
19:46:11 <sysrqb> i should pick up O1.2 again and start talking with mozilla aboutusing their infra
19:47:46 <sysrqb> one problem is I'm seeing a lot of rebasing conflicts when we move onto the next version, for fenix in particular
19:48:18 <sysrqb> so automation may not help as much as we'd like until we upstream more of our patches
19:49:18 <sysrqb> but i'd like to learn if using mozilla's infro is still an option
19:49:38 <sysrqb> even if we don't begin using it immediately
19:51:01 <acat> i guess for running try tests it might be useful, but we still would need to whitelist tests so that the results are somehow meaningful
19:51:04 <sysrqb> and for O2.3, we just need to spend some time looking at the test failures and fixing or disabling those tests
19:51:22 <sysrqb> acat: yeah
19:52:03 <sysrqb> at some point, i'd like to go through every layer for android, from gv -> fenix
19:52:37 <sysrqb> and for desktop we "only" need to ceoncenrate on firefox
19:52:40 <sysrqb> *concentrate
19:52:53 <sysrqb> but this is a longer-term project
19:53:52 <sysrqb> i have a feeling we can fix the tests in fenix and mozac more easily
19:54:17 <sysrqb> and then we can start run those tests
19:54:23 <sysrqb> *start running
19:54:59 <acat> yeah, probably
19:56:37 <sysrqb> and particularly for S58, i think focussing any remaining time we have on android is important
19:56:56 <sysrqb> now that you have the linux testsuite working again
19:57:02 <sysrqb> and nice work, by the way
19:57:17 <GeKo> +1
19:58:00 <acat> thx, we still need more tests but, it's a start :)
19:58:13 <sysrqb> yep
19:58:16 <acat> *but it's a start
19:58:23 <sysrqb> :)
19:58:43 <sysrqb> any final comments/concerns?
19:58:51 <sysrqb> we're at the hour now
19:59:22 <sysrqb> i'll triage the remaining tickets
19:59:25 <sysrqb> and clean up this sponsor
19:59:50 <gaba> thanks sysrqb
19:59:54 <sysrqb> so it only includes work we're actually planning on finishing
20:01:00 <sysrqb> alright
20:01:02 <sysrqb> thanks everyone
20:01:12 <sysrqb> and see some of you on thursday at 1500 UTC
20:01:34 <sysrqb> #endmeeting