18:59:34 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 16 Nov 2020
18:59:34 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Nov 16 18:59:34 2020 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:59:34 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:59:54 <GeKo> o/
19:00:35 <acat> o/
19:00:51 <gaba> I added a few things to the agenda for today
19:00:55 <gaba> http://kfahv6wfkbezjyg4r6mlhpmieydbebr5vkok5r34ya464gqz6c44bnyd.onion/p/tor-tbb-2020-keep
19:01:06 * antonela waves
19:03:42 <sysrqb> ooookay
19:03:56 <sysrqb> i did not prep for this meeting as much as i planned
19:04:30 <gaba> well, we can always move the triage discussion for next week and get a little more prepared
19:04:44 <gaba> i added one topic about issue templates. I would like to add them to the repos
19:04:56 <gaba> in line 52 i link to examples of it
19:06:25 <sysrqb> nice
19:06:27 <antonela> templates are great
19:06:30 <antonela> +1 to add them!
19:06:47 <gaba> if you have any comment/opinion abou tthem please add a comment to the issue
19:06:59 <antonela> the issue is for all repos?
19:07:05 <gaba> and if nobody complains then I will add them to the repos on the applications group
19:07:07 <antonela> should we discuss the ones for tb specifically?
19:07:11 <gaba> we can add them per repo
19:07:24 <gaba> yes, i added it here to discuss the ones related to the applications group specifically
19:07:37 <gaba> we can have a different template for the issues in TB than the other repos
19:08:56 <gaba> any other thought?
19:08:58 <antonela> do you have a draft for the TB ones? or do we want to iterate what is suggesting here? https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/description_templates.html
19:09:23 <antonela> create an issue, propose a feature, join beta testing are great
19:09:24 <gaba> i want to iterate from what im suggesting in the issue linked in the pad
19:09:40 <gaba> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/gitlab/-/issues/47
19:09:52 <gaba> https://gitlab.torproject.org/gaba/sandbox/-/issues/new
19:10:13 <gaba> documentation, bug report, feature request
19:10:20 <antonela> oh i see, anarcat is having the same questions i did haha
19:10:35 <antonela> cool, we can discuss TB ones there (in that ticket)
19:10:39 <sysrqb> oh, nice, many templated
19:10:42 <sysrqb> *tempaltes
19:12:16 <gaba> ok, the next item i have is mostly that i just wanted to check if anybody is getting the feedback in google play
19:12:25 <sysrqb> yes, I'd be very happy adding some of these
19:12:32 <antonela> +1
19:12:40 <antonela> will explore the options and comment in your ticket gaba
19:12:42 <sysrqb> and I'd like one for transitioning onto the next firefox version
19:13:04 <sysrqb> I looked at some of the google play comments
19:13:13 <antonela> re gplay, i sadly read the user feedback, some of them yes
19:13:20 <sysrqb> none of them were helpful
19:13:26 <sysrqb> but i only looked at ~30
19:13:31 <antonela> i asked arthur a point of contact in fenix to talk about this feedback
19:13:43 <antonela> he gave me, so i have plans to email her this week
19:13:47 <gaba> great
19:14:02 <antonela> i'll not open issues in their repo
19:14:05 <sysrqb> antonela: can you cc me?
19:14:07 <antonela> i have not capacity to that
19:14:10 <antonela> sysrqb: for sure
19:14:13 <sysrqb> thx
19:14:29 <antonela> but i want them to be aware of it as a source of incoming feedback
19:14:47 <sysrqb> that's a good idea
19:15:21 <antonela> lets see if it works
19:16:04 <sysrqb> i assume they receive similar feedback on their apps
19:16:14 <sysrqb> but we have some users who don't use firefox
19:16:24 <sysrqb> so we may get some new feedback
19:16:29 <antonela> they do actually, i've been lurking the repo last week and some things are already there
19:16:37 <antonela> but you know, is about qty sometimes
19:16:39 <antonela> lets see
19:17:11 <antonela> we got some push from the omnibox in the last desktop update, but then people got used to it
19:18:06 <sysrqb> yeah
19:19:39 <gaba> ok
19:19:52 <gaba> the last item in the agenda is to talk about triage issues in the application group
19:21:24 <sysrqb> i think presenting a draft and then discussing it next week may be more productive
19:21:40 <sysrqb> but if anyone has more they want to say about it, then we can discuss it now
19:22:07 <sysrqb> from the sync we had earlier, i'll begin triagining tickets today
19:22:09 <gaba> ok, let me add an issue to https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/team and we discuss it there
19:22:32 <acat> i can do it on wednesday or friday
19:22:51 <sysrqb> and we'll triage tickets three time each week, on monday/wednesday/friday
19:23:00 <GeKo> i can pick up the other option
19:23:12 <GeKo> whatever that is :)
19:23:15 <antonela> 3 times per week?
19:23:25 <sysrqb> acat: GeKo i don't have a preference, so you can fight over it :)
19:23:41 <sysrqb> antonela: yeah, just making sure we are keeping track of new tickets that are opened
19:23:45 <GeKo> haha, i keep my fighting for important stuff
19:23:45 <antonela> isn't that too much given the current capacity?
19:24:05 * acat flips a coin
19:24:08 <sysrqb> antonela: no, not if we only get 0 or 1 ticekt in that time
19:24:10 <gaba> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/team/-/issues/1
19:24:17 <antonela> oh i see
19:24:22 <antonela> only new tickets
19:24:25 <antonela> not old tickets
19:24:27 <sysrqb> yeah
19:24:39 <GeKo> well, the old ones is still on my plate :)
19:24:41 <antonela> mostly bug reporting then
19:24:48 <antonela> GeKo: indeed
19:24:49 <GeKo> and it bubbls up slowly
19:24:52 <sysrqb> we need to triage those tickets at some point (soon)
19:24:53 <acat> ok, i'll do wednesday :)
19:24:53 <GeKo> *bubbles
19:25:04 <GeKo> great, friday it is then
19:25:16 <antonela> haha
19:25:20 <sysrqb> but that's not (really) included in tihs triaging role
19:25:38 <sysrqb> we can slowly chip away at them, as we have time
19:25:48 <GeKo> sysrqb: speaing of which i plan to get back to design document updating soon. i think i can make some progress in my spare time
19:25:51 <sysrqb> and maybe we all grab two older tickets during our triaging, as well
19:25:52 <GeKo> *speaking
19:26:15 <GeKo> actually, i will prioritize that still higher than trigaing older tickets
19:26:25 <sysrqb> GeKo: yeah, i put that on my plate a few weeks ago, and then it fell off again
19:26:31 <sysrqb> the design doc
19:26:45 <sysrqb> but that is something i would like to see updated before we move onto 10.5
19:26:50 <gaba> ok, adding all this to the pad so we can start documenting it for the wiki...
19:26:54 <GeKo> oh, i actually triaged all tor browser tickets up to #11XXX
19:26:55 <sysrqb> and, in particular, desktop rapid release
19:27:09 <GeKo> so, those, should be in better shape that those later
19:27:26 <sysrqb> great
19:27:28 <GeKo> but, yeah, that whole thing will involve some effort
19:27:39 <antonela> could you add an UX label to tickets that needs UX/UI help during your triage? That will help us to set up some priorities :)
19:27:46 <sysrqb> we did triage a little during the gitlab migration, too
19:27:53 <GeKo> indeed!
19:27:57 <sysrqb> but we didn't cover the remaining ~3000
19:28:18 <sysrqb> antonela: yes we'll add that
19:28:37 <gaba> the same if the ticket needs other teams work
19:28:47 <gaba> we have labels for core and anti-censorship
19:29:14 <antonela> sysrqb: excellent
19:29:16 <sysrqb> ah, indeed,
19:29:23 <sysrqb> "cCre"
19:29:30 <sysrqb> *"Core"
19:29:35 <sysrqb> I wouldn't guess that :)
19:29:50 <antonela> haha
19:30:02 <sysrqb> that is good to know
19:31:17 <sysrqb> acat: can you add the github ticket onto android-components#34439?
19:32:05 <acat> ok, actually it's the geckoview one for now, so i'll do it with the one in tor-browser
19:32:29 <sysrqb> ah, okay, yes please, thanks
19:33:14 <sysrqb> okay
19:34:15 <sysrqb> Tomorrow we're releasing 10.0.5 and 10.5a4
19:34:44 <sysrqb> 10.0.5 is already synced on the staging web server
19:34:59 <sysrqb> does anyone want to create the blog post for that?
19:35:09 <sysrqb> if not then I can easily do it
19:35:25 <sysrqb> (we haven't been this prepared for a release in a long time)
19:35:36 <sysrqb> so that is exciting
19:35:44 <gaba> nice!
19:36:46 <sysrqb> tomorrow's 10.0.5 is desktop-only
19:36:59 <sysrqb> and we'll plan on releasing a stable for Android next week
19:37:36 <sysrqb> if all goes well, this will prepare us for releasing stable desktop and android versions at the same time in the future
19:38:00 <sysrqb> oh, and that reminds me
19:38:38 <sysrqb> i've tried updating https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/wikis/Release-Schedule
19:39:02 <sysrqb> and, i started maintaining a calendar, as well
19:39:04 <sysrqb> https://nc.torproject.net/apps/calendar/p/M9SGxmtCEr42xJyj
19:39:06 <antonela> lovely
19:39:12 <gaba> ahh, great
19:39:12 <sysrqb> (that should be public)
19:39:58 <sysrqb> this is a little more burden then I'd like, but i think it is worth seeing visually where all of these versions are on the calendar
19:40:04 <sysrqb> and how they overlap with other events
19:40:13 <sysrqb> afk/holidays/etc.
19:42:08 <acat> sysrqb: thanks, i think it's very useful
19:44:05 <sysrqb> and that reminds me that GeKo acat, we should sync about how we squeeze an Android alpha into early January
19:44:21 <GeKo> yeah
19:44:47 <GeKo> i am around
19:45:01 <sysrqb> I can ping you tomrrow around 1400 UTC if that is better than tonight
19:45:05 <GeKo> for some value of "around"
19:45:19 <sysrqb> :)
19:45:31 <antonela> :)
19:45:53 <GeKo> but, yes, we should generally think about how the TPI vacation for us should work
19:45:53 <antonela> do we do roadmapping episode II this week?
19:46:13 <sysrqb> antonela: yes, that is my plan
19:46:29 <sysrqb> GeKo: yeah, i'd like to have a plan for a chemspill, as well
19:46:38 <sysrqb> just in case :/
19:46:58 * GeKo avoided the thing-that-must-not-be-named
19:47:08 <antonela> lol
19:47:51 <sysrqb> voldemort is not too bad, if you face it directly :)
19:48:08 <GeKo> weellllll
19:48:11 <sysrqb> but, anyway, yeah
19:48:12 <antonela> depends who you are
19:48:38 <GeKo> but more mundane things: tor-browser#40235
19:48:43 <GeKo> a new cycle begins
19:48:51 <GeKo> how do we distribute the work?
19:49:07 <sysrqb> indeed
19:49:10 <GeKo> as "usual"?
19:49:20 <sysrqb> i'm fine with keep the usual roles
19:49:30 <acat> ok, wfm too
19:49:39 <sysrqb> but i can switch if someone wants to dive into the proxy audit stuff
19:49:46 <sysrqb> i think we should eventually rotate
19:49:57 <sysrqb> so we have enough shred knowledge
19:50:00 <sysrqb> *shared
19:50:03 <GeKo> i prefer to get back on track time-wise first
19:50:13 <sysrqb> but i feel like we're still..yeah
19:50:19 <GeKo> with proper alpha releases in time etc.
19:50:20 <sysrqb> we're not quite on solid ground, yet
19:50:34 <GeKo> *on time
19:50:57 <sysrqb> sounds good to me
19:51:47 <sysrqb> GeKo: thanks for opening those tickets again
19:53:17 <GeKo> yeah
19:54:33 <sysrqb> gaba: should we continnue adding the Sponsor 58 label on tickets?
19:54:47 <sysrqb> i'm not sure when is the official end date
19:54:59 <sysrqb> i know hte report is not due until January
19:55:11 <sysrqb> (end of january?)
19:55:14 <sysrqb> *the
19:55:26 <gaba> the report is not due until january but we should start wrapping up
19:55:43 <gaba> we should close the stuff that we have and close s58
19:55:50 <sysrqb> okay
19:56:16 <sysrqb> i noticed tor-browser#40235 has the label
19:56:20 <sysrqb> and it is correct
19:56:38 <sysrqb> but i'm not sure how long we can claim these transitions are part of S58
19:57:02 <GeKo> yeah, i was on the fence
19:57:07 <sysrqb> maybe this is the final move that is part of S58?
19:57:11 <GeKo> i think it is better to remove the label
19:57:34 <GeKo> *shrugs*
19:57:51 <gaba> let's not add anything else to s58 unless is part of the work that we are already finishing
19:58:24 <sysrqb> okay, then we can delete the label on this new ticket
19:59:02 <GeKo> done
19:59:06 <sysrqb> thanks
19:59:14 <sysrqb> okay, we're at the hour mark
19:59:29 <sysrqb> any last comments?
19:59:59 <antonela> acat: based on our friday's review, i updated https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/trac/-/issues/40004
20:00:00 <sysrqb> alrighty, have a good week everyone
20:00:05 <antonela> if anything else is missing, let me know!
20:00:14 <acat> antonela: thanks!
20:00:19 <sysrqb> antonela: sneaking in before I close the meeting!
20:00:29 <antonela> i was patiently waiting for 1 minute!
20:00:30 <sysrqb> #endmeeting :)