18:58:29 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 2021 January 11
18:58:29 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Jan 11 18:58:29 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:58:29 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:58:45 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hello!
18:58:46 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-2020-keep
18:58:55 <sysrqb> (ignore the year)
18:59:00 <acat> o/
18:59:07 <sysrqb> Hello! Happy New Year, everyone
18:59:24 <gaba> hi!
18:59:51 <GeKo> hey
19:00:38 <gaba> can we move to http://kfahv6wfkbezjyg4r6mlhpmieydbebr5vkok5r34ya464gqz6c44bnyd.onion/p/tor-tbb-keep ?
19:01:00 <dunqan> hi all :)
19:02:56 <sysrqb> dunqan: hi!
19:03:08 <sysrqb> gaba: yes
19:03:15 <sysrqb> i'm not tied to the current pad
19:03:33 <sysrqb> i just didn't care enough to change it for this meeting
19:05:31 <gaba> ok
19:10:37 <sysrqb> GeKo: do you have discussion topics you want to add on the pad?
19:11:13 <sysrqb> ah, you're still adding items in your todo list
19:12:03 <GeKo> yeah, sorry, am late today
19:12:15 <GeKo> i'll add all my review work after the meeting
19:14:19 <sysrqb> Thanks
19:14:45 <sysrqb> Reminder: Please update your boards (as/if needed): https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/boards
19:16:32 <sysrqb> okay, let's start with discussions
19:16:42 <sysrqb> "Linux switch to Firefox 85?"
19:17:54 <GeKo> yeah
19:18:27 <GeKo> so i worked on getting the build parts done during the past couple of days and weeks
19:18:45 <GeKo> and am ready with that
19:18:45 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos notes that moving Linux to rapid release will make things more hectic for me in terms of the ARM/POWER ports, but that's my job to deal with and it shouldn't dissuade you in any way
19:19:06 <GeKo> but it does not run
19:19:16 <GeKo> due to https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-launcher/-/issues/40004
19:19:37 <GeKo> i rememberr mcs and brade not being overly happy with async logic here
19:19:48 <GeKo> but it seems it's time we need to bite that bullet
19:19:58 <GeKo> the qeuestion is when
19:20:13 <GeKo> given that linux will be the first platform where we plan to test https-only mode
19:20:33 <GeKo> and we rather wanted to start testing sooner than later
19:22:10 <GeKo> additionally, we should remember that there are other tickets we marked with ff88-esr or something
19:22:31 <GeKo> however, last time i looked those were no blockers for nightly builds imo
19:22:59 <acat> maybe we could move to async as part of s30 (quickstart)
19:23:42 <GeKo> ah, it's ff91-esr now
19:23:48 <GeKo> but, hrm we are missing tickets
19:24:00 <acat> GeKo: yeah, i changed the label to ff91-esr
19:24:30 <GeKo> no, that's all ticket i remember
19:24:32 <GeKo> thanks
19:24:43 <GeKo> *tickets
19:25:32 <GeKo> acat: maybe but that means async for esr78 already
19:25:48 <GeKo> not sure if that's a thing we want
19:25:59 <GeKo> but maybe it does not matter much
19:27:23 <acat> not sure how big the effort would be, i would need to take a look
19:27:44 <acat> but we could try, and maybe it's not too hard to move to async
19:27:57 <acat> and not too risky
19:28:50 <sysrqb> hello! (sorry!)
19:28:53 * sysrqb reads backlog
19:29:01 <GeKo> hi!
19:29:13 <acat> o/
19:29:48 <sysrqb> I lost internet here
19:32:10 <sysrqb> Originally, I put Linux on the build plan for 85b7
19:32:35 <sysrqb> but, that plan previously included an alpha version last week
19:32:54 <sysrqb> so we got would have two alphs this month
19:33:04 <sysrqb> that's not realistic at this point
19:33:33 <sysrqb> so we shouldn't include Linux in the 85 release plans
19:34:19 <GeKo> yeah
19:34:29 <GeKo> i am more interested in nightly builds at this point anyway
19:35:21 <GeKo> like getting this going fast in nightlies
19:35:51 <GeKo> + enabling htts-only mode thee
19:36:04 <GeKo> *https there*
19:36:11 <GeKo> and then thinking about alphas
19:36:14 <GeKo> and what we need for them
19:36:34 <GeKo> hrm
19:36:52 <GeKo> or maybe stabilizing on alphas first might be smarter
19:37:01 <GeKo> because it would make alpha releasing easier
19:37:20 <GeKo> hrm
19:37:36 <GeKo> anyway, nightlies first i think is s good goal
19:37:43 <GeKo> and then looking at the fallout
19:37:45 <sysrqb> that's true
19:37:53 <sysrqb> and needed as a dependency for alpha, anyway
19:37:57 <GeKo> given the updater is involved, too
19:39:11 <sysrqb> acat: can you put this on your plate for next week?
19:39:43 <sysrqb> i prefer you concentrate on getting the android tests working this week
19:40:04 <acat> sysrqb: tor-launcher#40004? ok
19:40:19 <sysrqb> yeah
19:40:42 <sysrqb> or, if you have some time later this week, then you can start estimating the time needed for it
19:41:21 <acat> ok
19:41:28 <sysrqb> but i really would like a stable android testing framework before we move on to move linux
19:41:37 <sysrqb> *moving linux
19:43:21 <sysrqb> GeKo: where are we with the mmdebstrap?
19:43:49 <GeKo> we are good
19:44:14 <GeKo> boklm and i debugged the issues during the last weeks
19:44:31 <GeKo> the rbm changes landed
19:44:51 <GeKo> and the tor-browser-build ones need just a final rebase and squashing
19:45:13 <GeKo> you and acat could try things out whether they are working on your non-tpo setups
19:45:32 <GeKo> because we'll burn the deboostrap bridge
19:45:59 <GeKo> that will happen with the nightly machine switch
19:46:20 <GeKo> which boklm is currently working on
19:46:36 <GeKo> there is no hard eta for that yet
19:46:57 <GeKo> but we might build our next alpha on that new system
19:47:45 <GeKo> i can point you to the right branches and the right incantations :)
19:48:17 <sysrqb> nice
19:48:37 <sysrqb> very exciting progress, thanks to boklm and you
19:48:49 <GeKo> i guess waht we should do is writing a mail to tbb-dev
19:48:53 <GeKo> once this hits nightly
19:49:01 <GeKo> both for our potetnail builders
19:49:09 <GeKo> as other projects using that
19:49:29 <GeKo> like pospeselr's and Jeremy_Rand_Talos
19:49:32 <GeKo> '
19:49:37 <sysrqb> yep
19:50:10 <GeKo> that's it from my side for that point
19:50:44 <sysrqb> great
19:50:51 <sysrqb> i look forward to trying this
19:51:06 <sysrqb> thanks
19:51:23 <sysrqb> dunqan: do you want to discuss S30?
19:51:31 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos is looking forward to this too
19:51:41 <dunqan> Yep, thanks!
19:51:48 <dunqan> I was just wondering how the S30 quickstart work is going / if you have a rough timeline of when you'll have builds ready for UI review / and if you need any further UX & design input atm
19:52:21 <dunqan> I'm aware I have this on my plate too, which I'm hoping to get around to *after* this week: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/34345
19:52:26 <sysrqb> I'll let acat take that question :)
19:53:49 <sysrqb> (if acat is still around :) )
19:53:52 <acat> not sure when exactly i'll have a build ready for UI review, but i think not this week :)
19:53:53 <acat> probably end of next week
19:54:40 <dunqan> np, just ping me here or on git (@duncan) whenever you have something :)
19:54:48 <acat> sure! thanks
19:57:09 <sysrqb> sorry, just digging up a ticket
19:57:18 <sysrqb> dunqan: this reminds me about tpo/ux/research/-/issues/11
19:57:30 <sysrqb> tpo/ux/research#11
19:57:53 <dunqan> Yes! I owe you a mockup for that
19:57:59 <dunqan> I'm actually working on it right this second
19:58:13 <sysrqb> we don't have much time for getting it into the next release in two weeks
19:58:24 <sysrqb> but we can probably still squeeze it in
19:58:26 <sysrqb> okay
19:58:43 <sysrqb> the sooner you can post that, the better :)
19:58:57 <sysrqb> thanks
19:59:01 <dunqan> np, will be with you for review by tomorrow morning :)
19:59:05 <dunqan> thanks again
19:59:13 <sysrqb> okay, great
19:59:36 <sysrqb> okay, and the last (quick) discussion item
19:59:44 <sysrqb> "Reviewer field in MRs?
19:59:46 <sysrqb> "
20:00:13 <GeKo> we got htat new capability
20:00:17 <sysrqb> (i think this is a GeKo topic)
20:00:20 <GeKo> *thatt
20:00:24 <GeKo> yeah
20:00:36 <GeKo> i saw the network team seems to want to work aounrd the issue
20:00:52 <GeKo> that the assigned reviews do not show up in the MR dashboard
20:01:05 <GeKo> by having a custom query
20:01:31 <GeKo> containing both the assigned MRs and those with the Reviewer field set to oneself
20:01:35 <GeKo> or something
20:01:43 <GeKo> and i started wondering what we want to do
20:02:02 <GeKo> i filed https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/gitlab/-/issues/88
20:02:12 <GeKo> but i doubt this will get resolved fast
20:02:31 <GeKo> likely needs an upstream fix
20:02:43 <GeKo> i can go either way
20:03:47 <sysrqb> hrm
20:05:01 <sysrqb> i guess the benefit of this new thing is that the "Merge requests" button now shows you all of your open MRs
20:05:12 <sysrqb> that's a weird trade-off, though
20:05:27 <GeKo> one can see it that way, yes
20:06:34 <sysrqb> https://about.gitlab.com/releases/2020/12/22/gitlab-13-7-released/#reviewers-for-merge-requests
20:06:42 <sysrqb> apparently this is still a half-baked feature
20:06:48 <sysrqb> and there are improvements coming
20:06:54 <GeKo> we got the first half :)
20:07:35 <sysrqb> maybe we should wwait and continue using the assigned field for requesting review
20:07:41 <sysrqb> until this feature is more useful for us
20:08:31 <sysrqb> we don't pre-emptively open MRs without an existing patch
20:09:12 <sysrqb> so i'm not sure we'll even have a MR where the assigned user is different from the creater
20:09:57 <sysrqb> if we used a different work flow (or if we change our workflow in the future), then I can see this additional field becoming useful
20:10:43 <sysrqb> s/even have/ever have/
20:11:00 <sysrqb> do you feel differently?
20:11:19 <GeKo> nope
20:11:45 * acat neither
20:11:51 <GeKo> but i am flexible here. i could get myself used to that half-baked Reviewer thing
20:12:14 <sysrqb> yeah, me too
20:12:22 <sysrqb> but i don't see much reason right now
20:13:19 <sysrqb> let's continue with the current workflow, and we can re-evaluate in the future if that seems like a good idea
20:14:15 <GeKo> wfm
20:15:21 <sysrqb> great
20:15:47 <sysrqb> okay, and with that, thanks for staying here an extra 15 min
20:16:02 <sysrqb> have a good week, everyone
20:16:07 <sysrqb> #endmeeting