18:59:09 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 19 January 2021
18:59:09 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jan 19 18:59:09 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:59:09 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:59:32 <sysrqb> Normal pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
18:59:55 <acat> o/
18:59:56 <dunqan> o/
19:00:03 <sysrqb> hello hello
19:00:07 <gaba> will be here in 5min
19:00:13 <GeKo> o/
19:00:13 <sysrqb> gaba: no worries
19:07:03 <sysrqb> okay
19:07:32 <sysrqb> We had an exciting start of this week
19:08:17 <sysrqb> We were planning on releasing 10.5a7 today, but we're blocked on tor-browser-build#40208 now
19:08:51 <GeKo> i think moving forward with the release asap and noting the issue on the blog is a good idea
19:08:55 <sysrqb> Hopefully fixing that doesn't require re-building too many components
19:09:19 <sysrqb> i think we can start building 10.0.9 desktop
19:09:34 <GeKo> it's unfortunate but it's an alpha and we need all the testing for the upcoming 85-based stable
19:09:45 <sysrqb> but I'm worried we'll hit this same issue for the android builds if we don't find the cause now
19:09:53 <sysrqb> yes, that's true
19:11:14 <sysrqb> GeKo: do you want me to finish publishing it tonight?
19:11:27 <GeKo> i think so
19:11:38 <GeKo> as fast as we can get, i think
19:11:39 <sysrqb> it's ready on my people, exceppt a sig from acat for the unsigned shasums
19:11:50 <sysrqb> but i think we'll go without that
19:12:02 <GeKo> yeah
19:12:28 <GeKo> and meanwhile we could try figuring out what the heck is going on with that nimbus thing
19:12:28 <sysrqb> okay, i'll publish after this meeting
19:12:35 <sysrqb> yeah
19:12:38 <GeKo> so we can maybe fix the stable build
19:13:48 <sysrqb> acat: did you try building fenix and dumping the files?
19:14:24 <GeKo> it's interesting that we need different machines for that
19:14:42 <GeKo> back then when i dug into that rabbit hole one machine was enough
19:14:43 <acat> sysrqb: the commands in https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/issues/40208#note_2722462? not yet, will try now
19:14:54 <sysrqb> yeah
19:14:57 <sysrqb> okay
19:15:13 <sysrqb> i just re-built it in a fresh container
19:15:34 <sysrqb> so i'll compare it with my previous build and see if they match
19:16:15 <sysrqb> i'll try re-building my android-components input file, too
19:16:41 <sysrqb> i think that should rebuild nimbus, and maybe i can start debugging locally that way, too
19:16:43 <GeKo> glad i took notes from last time :)
19:16:48 <sysrqb> yes :)
19:17:09 <sysrqb> i needed to fill in a couple holes, but overall your comments are very good
19:17:55 <acat> sysrqb: so, you don't need me to rebuild and dump the files for now?
19:18:13 <sysrqb> acat: i think you rebuilding it will be helpful
19:18:28 <sysrqb> i don't know that I can debug it by myself yet
19:18:40 <acat> ok
19:19:01 <GeKo> sysrqb: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/168502246 has some more info i did not need
19:19:09 <GeKo> https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/168502246#comment17
19:19:27 <GeKo> might be that this is the time to test the ideas google folks had
19:19:38 <GeKo> in case the hole is even deeper this time
19:20:21 <GeKo> although it seems R8 is off the hook again
19:20:53 <sysrqb> maybe :)
19:21:00 <sysrqb> thanks for the link, i'll look at that
19:21:49 <sysrqb> I see the .zip dump files in my second build are named different than the .zips in the first build
19:22:01 <sysrqb> i'll compare the .class file after this meeting
19:23:29 <sysrqb> acat: did you see my fenix!90
19:24:03 <acat> sigh, sorry missed that
19:24:08 <acat> will review
19:24:10 <sysrqb> it's only a revert, so reviewing it should be easy
19:24:14 <sysrqb> thanks
19:25:13 <sysrqb> oh, and did you see my comment https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/torbutton/-/merge_requests/30#note_2722297 ?
19:25:42 <sysrqb> the patch you created for tor-browser#40249 is for master
19:25:49 <sysrqb> we'll need one for maint-10.0, too
19:26:16 <sysrqb> i'm not sure if you tested cherry-picking the patches
19:26:48 <acat> ok, i'll check it for maint-10.0
19:28:09 <sysrqb> thanks, sorry I didn't include that in the ticket
19:31:10 <acat> np, thanks
19:31:12 <sysrqb> I see we have two discussion items
19:31:31 <sysrqb> first one is tor-browser#40282
19:31:40 <sysrqb> who wants to discuss this?
19:32:53 <sysrqb> If no one wants it, then I'll move on to tpo/ux/research#11
19:33:05 <sysrqb> dunqan: did you add that?
19:33:05 <GeKo> <- not
19:33:11 <dunqan> yup, guilty
19:33:15 <sysrqb> :)
19:33:19 <GeKo> bang
19:33:44 <sysrqb> I didn't look very closely at it, but I like how the UI looks
19:33:55 <dunqan> so it's more of a procedural question about review/build: would you like me to create a new ticket for the banner in applications with the details, and if so in which project?
19:34:26 <sysrqb> we'll need two tickets
19:34:42 <dunqan> yup, that was going to be my next Q :)
19:34:43 <sysrqb> one will do under tpo/applications/torbutton, and the other under tpo/applications/fenix
19:34:53 <dunqan> perfect, ty
19:34:53 <sysrqb> the first is for desktop and the second for android
19:35:14 <sysrqb> if you can do that, I'll appreciate it very much :)
19:35:37 <dunqan> no problem at all, thanks!
19:36:03 <sysrqb> thank you
19:37:50 <sysrqb> Oh, unrelated, but this is your weekly reminder about keeping the Boards updated (as needed/if needed)
19:38:32 <sysrqb> do any of you want to discuss any other topics?
19:38:50 <GeKo> so for the releases
19:39:09 <GeKo> we aim at starting desktop stable tormorrow?
19:39:13 <GeKo> *tomorrow
19:39:34 <sysrqb> pending the maint-10.0 torbutton patch, yes
19:39:39 <GeKo> and then ?
19:39:41 <sysrqb> i'll prep the rebase tonight
19:40:27 <GeKo> how is the mobile stable plan going?
19:41:15 <sysrqb> i want to see how much progress we make on the current issue
19:41:28 <sysrqb> let's talk about that tomorrow
19:41:33 <GeKo> fair enough
19:42:00 <GeKo> the other topic that is lingering in my head is what we can leanr from this releases cycle
19:42:03 <GeKo> *relase
19:42:09 <GeKo> *release even :)
19:42:24 <GeKo> i feel we need to improve things here somewhere
19:42:28 <sysrqb> i reflected on that a little
19:42:39 <GeKo> but we can discusss that later
19:42:44 <GeKo> once the releases are out
19:42:49 <GeKo> and we have the whole picture
19:43:13 <sysrqb> for my peices, I felt I was exhausted during the last week of December, so Iwasn't as productive as I needed
19:43:26 <sysrqb> and I had a slow start last week, and that delayed other work
19:43:55 <sysrqb> but we can schedule a retrospective in the next week or so
19:44:06 <GeKo> sounds worth it imo
19:44:08 <sysrqb> and discuss this
19:44:20 <GeKo> or just use a browser meeting for that
19:44:30 <GeKo> (the regular monday one)
19:44:38 <sysrqb> that could work
19:44:49 <GeKo> i don't have a strong opinion on that
19:45:10 <GeKo> (but tend to think one meeting less is a good thing)
19:45:22 <sysrqb> that's usually true
19:45:35 <sysrqb> i'll tentatively add it as s discusion topic for next week
19:45:46 <sysrqb> s/as s/as a/
19:45:49 <GeKo> great, thanks
19:46:54 <sysrqb> any other topics for this week?
19:47:26 <acat> not from my side
19:47:41 <sysrqb> alrighty. Thanks everyone
19:47:43 * GeKo is fine
19:47:43 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> (whoops, sorry I'm super late today :( )
19:47:52 <sysrqb> hi Jeremy_Rand_Talos !
19:47:52 <GeKo> hihi
19:48:07 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos is catching up on scrollback
19:48:25 <sysrqb> i'll close the meeting, but ping us ifyou have questions :)
19:48:43 <sysrqb> #endmeeting