18:58:14 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 01 February 2021
18:58:14 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Feb  1 18:58:14 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:58:14 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:58:20 <sysrqb> o/
18:58:41 <dunqan> o/
18:59:05 <acat> hi
18:59:07 <gaba> hi!
19:00:19 <GeKo> o/
19:04:12 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
19:07:42 <sysrqb> okay, let's get started
19:09:27 <sysrqb> Last week, GeKo and I discussed building 10.0.10 beginning tonight, and publishing it on Wednesday
19:09:39 <sysrqb> this would align with a new tor stable release on Wednesday
19:09:57 <sysrqb> the goal is improving the stability/reachability of v3 onion services
19:10:10 <sysrqb> while the network is experiencing...overload
19:10:21 <sysrqb> (or, at least, dirauths)
19:10:40 <sysrqb> ideally we would build 10.0.10 using the new stable tor tag
19:11:08 <sysrqb> but then we are delayed a few more days before we can begin building
19:11:38 <sysrqb> the fix for v3 reachability requires changes on both the client side (Tor Browser) and the onion service-side
19:12:16 <sysrqb> so the situation won't improve until the next stable tor version is published
19:12:55 <sysrqb> but we think Tor Browser should be prepare for that timing, instead of the improvement depending on a new Tor Browser version
19:13:37 <sysrqb> I'm working on tor-browser-build#40223, which depdns on tor-browser-build#40224
19:14:34 <sysrqb> I'm hoping we can use a "simple" (and small) patch as the backport
19:14:48 <GeKo> yes, please
19:15:06 <sysrqb> but, right now, the merged branch is pulling in:
19:15:09 <sysrqb> 1924 files changed, 122205 insertions(+), 40927 deletions(-)
19:15:17 <sysrqb> so, it is neither simple nor small :)
19:15:19 <GeKo> nuts
19:15:53 <GeKo> i mean it's fixing just one issue
19:15:55 <sysrqb> i'm working on this right now
19:16:01 <sysrqb> yeah
19:16:27 <sysrqb> so, we'll see when we have a working patch
19:16:38 <GeKo> how come this is not just a cherry-pick of one or two commits?
19:16:59 <sysrqb> GeKo: that is the next approach I'll try
19:17:05 <GeKo> i mean when the new stable tor release comes out
19:17:20 <GeKo> those should just contain a small number of sec patches, too
19:17:21 <sysrqb> unfortunately there are a few merge conflicts I'll need to resolve
19:17:32 <GeKo> and our patch is likely just one of them
19:17:41 <GeKo> hm, oky
19:17:43 <GeKo> *okay
19:17:52 <sysrqb> yeah, i tried picking from the current 0.4.4 branch, where the backport already landed
19:18:17 <sysrqb> but apparently it's not a clean cherry-pick
19:18:35 <GeKo> could we get one from the network-team?
19:18:53 <sysrqb> i can try, but they're busy fixing other issues, too
19:20:03 <sysrqb> (and they may prefer we just wait until the tor stable version is tagged)
19:20:04 <GeKo> i see
19:20:14 <sysrqb> but i'll ask
19:21:29 <sysrqb> i'm not sure the tor stable will be tagged on wednesday, too
19:22:02 <sysrqb> but i think we should still plan on it
19:23:24 <sysrqb> in addition to 10.0.10, we have an Android alpha at the end of this week
19:23:42 <sysrqb> we should get the 86.0b5 tag tomorrow, for gecko
19:24:48 <sysrqb> and we can start building that after we finish building 10.0.10, and after the toolchain updates are ready
19:26:35 <sysrqb> GeKo: when do you think you'll have a branch ready for tor-browser-build#40217 ?
19:26:43 <sysrqb> i see you're making progress on it
19:26:45 <GeKo> tomorrow
19:26:48 <sysrqb> okay
19:27:00 <GeKo> i am mostly done
19:27:07 <GeKo> need to clean things up and re-test
19:28:50 <sysrqb> great
19:28:54 <sysrqb> thanks
19:29:17 <dunqan> hey, sorry, just catching up
19:29:24 <sysrqb> I saw your comment on tor-browser-bundle-testsuite#40017, and I'll look at that, too
19:29:28 <sysrqb> dunqan: o/
19:29:36 <dunqan> <+sysrqb> Last week, GeKo and I discussed building 10.0.10 beginning tonight, and publishing it on Wednesday <- does that mean 10.0.10 is being brought forward from Feb 23rd or am i misunderstanding?
19:29:49 <sysrqb> dunqan: no, in addition to
19:29:58 <GeKo> yeah, a bit surprising but it was not an inermittent error
19:29:59 <sysrqb> so we'll just bump the 23 Feb version to 10.0.11
19:30:18 <dunqan> sysrqb: ah gotcha, thanks!
19:30:35 <sysrqb> dunqan: i know that is (unforuntately) confusing
19:30:53 <dunqan> ha, no worries :)
19:31:22 <sysrqb> acat: i may hve questions about the testbuite, so don't be surprised if i ping you :)
19:31:30 <sysrqb> *testsuite
19:31:38 <acat> sysrqb: no problems :)
19:32:55 <sysrqb> acat: should we ping hiro or anarcat for tpo/tpa/team#40151 ?
19:33:22 <acat> maybe
19:33:22 <sysrqb> or do you know they saw it?
19:33:38 <acat> i'm not sure
19:33:44 <sysrqb> okay
19:35:00 <sysrqb> let's just make sure it's on their radar after the meeting :)
19:35:08 <GeKo> we should ping for the web server, too
19:35:26 <GeKo> that's the only thing that is actually preventing us from switching the nightlies over
19:35:27 <sysrqb> ah, yes
19:35:28 <sysrqb> let's ese
19:35:33 <GeKo> or, better, the only bigger thing
19:35:47 <GeKo> the other parts we are in control
19:36:00 <sysrqb> tpo/tpa/team#40146
19:37:07 <sysrqb> the label says it is on hiro's Doing board, but we should ask for a status update
19:38:04 <GeKo> yep
19:38:21 <GeKo> could you ping on that ticket, too (while you are at it=?
19:38:26 <GeKo> s/=/?/
19:38:47 <sysrqb> yeah
19:39:44 <sysrqb> acat: are you doing okay on the quickstart patch?
19:39:59 <sysrqb> (tor-browser#27476)
19:40:41 <acat> sysrqb: yeah, doing progress, just taking a bit more than expected
19:42:15 <sysrqb> is there any way we can help you? or do you just need more time?
19:42:43 <sysrqb> like, have you hit any blockers that you want to talk about?
19:42:57 <acat> i'll probably add some questions regarding maybe some UI elements which i'm not sure about, like how to show progress and errors
19:43:16 <acat> i mean, i'm not sure the designs cover all the details
19:44:27 <sysrqb> sounds good
19:44:31 <acat> but no strict blocker so far, i can fill the gaps and then maybe duncan can help with improving UI
19:44:34 <sysrqb> i'm sure dunqan will be happy to help
19:44:46 <sysrqb> great
19:44:51 <dunqan> yup for sure ^^
19:44:53 <dunqan> I
19:45:11 <dunqan> *I'm expecting there to be some gaps that will need filled too
19:46:10 <acat> duncan: thanks
19:46:22 <dunqan> acat: np, just @ me in the ticket with any Qs when they come up
19:46:45 <acat> will do
19:47:53 <sysrqb> acat: I also put fenix!94 and fenix!95 on your review list
19:48:08 <sysrqb> i'd like to get those into the next alpha this week, if possible
19:48:45 <sysrqb> (fenix#40141 and fenix#40109, respectively)
19:49:45 <acat> sysrqb: ack
19:50:10 <sysrqb> thanks
19:50:45 <GeKo> tor-browser-build#40214 and #40215 make sense, too
19:51:04 <GeKo> ah
19:51:05 <sysrqb> tor-browser-build#40215
19:51:27 <GeKo> the latter can probably be closed?
19:51:34 <GeKo> or duped over?
19:51:43 <sysrqb> yeah
19:51:59 <sysrqb> i just need to address acat's question in fenix!95
19:52:28 <sysrqb> but, yes, we don't need two tickets for that now
19:53:00 <sysrqb> tor-browser-build#40214 isn't critical, but I can write a patch for fixing that - so it's done
19:53:27 <GeKo> yeah, or i
19:53:41 <GeKo> do we then have all our remaining mozilla85 things fixed?
19:54:30 <sysrqb> i'll review the open tickets, but I believe that should fix all of them
19:56:40 <sysrqb> any last quick questins/comments/concerns?
19:56:46 <acat> there's tor-browser#40309
19:56:51 <sysrqb> *questions
19:57:06 <sysrqb> acat: oh, yes, i saw that on your list for this week
19:57:59 <acat> that may be a remaining 85 issue, but i'm not sure if it's so severe
19:58:25 <acat> but should be easy to fix, maybe it can be in the next alpha
19:58:31 <sysrqb> yeah
19:58:46 <sysrqb> I'd like that
19:59:01 <GeKo> there might be a point in the near future where we need to concede that we can't fix out all the fallout from one release
19:59:15 <GeKo> s/out//
19:59:35 <GeKo> but if we can avoid it by small costs it might be worthwhile
19:59:43 <sysrqb> i agree
19:59:51 <GeKo> so, even if it seems like nits now
20:00:01 <GeKo> chances are not fixing those with small effort now is biting us later
20:00:12 <GeKo> *will be biting
20:00:22 <GeKo> (happened in the past several time :))
20:00:49 <sysrqb> yeah, that's a good point
20:01:10 <sysrqb> okay, we're a few minutes over the hour mark
20:01:15 <sysrqb> thanks everyone!
20:01:20 <sysrqb> have a good week
20:01:25 <sysrqb> #endmeeting