18:58:24 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 01 March 2021
18:58:24 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Mar  1 18:58:24 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:58:24 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:58:34 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hello!
18:58:37 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
19:01:24 <pospeselr> o/
19:05:32 <sysrqb> Alright
19:06:37 <sysrqb> GeKo: can you take the mozilla87 rebasing MRs this week?
19:07:05 <GeKo> yes
19:07:18 <sysrqb> thanks
19:09:39 <sysrqb> We currently have an Android Alpha scheduled for this Friday
19:10:08 <sysrqb> but last week was a disaster for me, so publishing an alpha this week seems unlikely
19:10:46 <sysrqb> I think next Tuesday seems more reasonable
19:11:28 <sysrqb> boklm: GeKo: let's sync near the end of this week
19:11:43 <sysrqb> because I am assuming the toolchain work will be the largest blocker
19:12:01 <sysrqb> but you need a few days for getting started on that, yes?
19:12:18 <GeKo> i am not doing anything in that regard at the moment
19:12:29 <GeKo> but i am happy to review boklm's patch
19:12:33 <GeKo> and help with that if needed
19:12:42 <GeKo> i chatted with boklm last week
19:12:50 <boklm> I'm planning to work on this this week, but I don't know yet how difficult/how long it will take
19:12:52 <GeKo> and he should be up to speed at least
19:13:15 <sysrqb> Yes, good, that was my understanding
19:13:52 <sysrqb> so boklm can have a couple days before we begin estimating when we can publish an Alpha
19:14:51 <GeKo> sysrqb: oh, and to be sure with "take the mozilla87 rebasing MRs" you meant review the rebased results, right?
19:15:03 <sysrqb> yes
19:15:06 <GeKo> k
19:16:04 <sysrqb> pospeselr: you are up to speed on the tor-browser#27476
19:16:08 <sysrqb> ?
19:16:12 <pospeselr> yep :)
19:16:15 <sysrqb> great
19:16:18 <pospeselr> progress is well underway
19:19:06 <sysrqb> this week we may actually have an unscheduled Linux-only stable release for tor-browser#40328
19:19:42 <sysrqb> i need to test the patch, but is may be a simple fix
19:19:47 <sysrqb> *it
19:20:09 <sysrqb> boklm: is your build computer setup now?
19:20:58 <boklm> yes, I can do builds
19:21:45 <sysrqb> thanks. If we have a fix, then I'm hoping we'll start building tomorrow
19:21:50 <GeKo> man, this bug is embarassing, if it turns out to be the issue :(
19:21:58 <sysrqb> yeah :/
19:21:59 * GeKo blushes
19:22:16 <sysrqb> *and* i stared at that patch and decided it was correct
19:22:49 <GeKo> *and* we did a lot of digging to find the root cause off the problem :)
19:22:54 <GeKo> *of
19:23:01 <sysrqb> yeah
19:23:10 <GeKo> *sigh*
19:23:15 <GeKo> but so be it
19:23:17 <sysrqb> oh well.
19:23:19 <sysrqb> yeah
19:24:29 <sysrqb> dunqan: do you want to talk about the survey?
19:24:38 <dunqan> hello! yes please
19:24:45 <sysrqb> o/
19:24:56 <dunqan> i was wondering if we could take down the banners (stable and alpha) for 2021-03-23?
19:25:22 <sysrqb> yes, we can do that
19:25:24 <dunqan> i'll doublecheck with anti-censorship that they're fine with that, but my guess is yes :)
19:25:31 <dunqan> great, I'll post the tickets
19:25:36 <dunqan> we've had... a lot of responses
19:25:44 <sysrqb> that's exciting
19:25:50 * sysrqb is a little surprised
19:26:07 <sysrqb> but happy to hear it. I hope they are high quality
19:26:11 <dunqan> yeah I'm suspicious of spam given the number
19:26:27 <dunqan> however I spot checked 100 and only found 1 or 2 spammy looking submissions
19:26:42 <dunqan> and we're currently well over 15k completions
19:27:16 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Honestly that number doesn't shock me, but maybe I'm overestimating the total number of users
19:27:58 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Shocking or not, it's great news :)
19:28:26 <dunqan> most of the responses are low-effort, but that may actually help us wade through everything faster so not necessarily a bad thing :)
19:28:58 <dunqan> Snowflake has had under 300 completions too, which is honestly pretty good given the subset of users we were targeting with that one
19:30:03 <sysrqb> ~1.5 million people should've seen the general survey banner
19:30:22 <sysrqb> so, 1% response?
19:30:38 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> So that's 1% response rate, doesn't seem too surprising to me
19:30:59 <sysrqb> yeah, that's fair
19:31:00 <dunqan> yeah it makes a lot more sense when you put it that way ^^
19:31:30 <dunqan> We may design the next survey (if/whenever that happens) to have more predetermined responses to ease with reporting
19:31:35 <dunqan> so, lessons learned :)
19:32:05 <sysrqb> and that 1% response rate is without localization
19:32:45 <dunqan> yeah, we don't seem to have had any complaints about that which is good
19:32:46 <sysrqb> this seems like a good learning experience
19:34:18 <sysrqb> okay, dunqan, yes if you can ipen tickets for removing the banner(s), then we'll revert that in the next release on the March 23
19:34:28 <sysrqb> *open
19:34:30 <dunqan> will do, thanks!
19:35:22 <pospeselr> dunqan: i've gotten through most of your feedback in tor-browser#27476 and should hopefully finish it up tomorrow, after which i'll try and get a build for you
19:35:40 <dunqan> that's awesome, thanks pospeselr!
19:36:17 <sysrqb> General reminder to update your Gitlab Boards (if needed)
19:36:49 <sysrqb> That's all I have for this meeting.
19:37:11 <sysrqb> I'll wait one more minute, in case anyone wants to add a discussion topic on the pad
19:38:15 <sysrqb> Alright
19:38:19 <sysrqb> thanks everyon
19:38:20 <sysrqb> e
19:38:23 <sysrqb> have a good week
19:38:23 <GeKo> o/
19:38:23 <pospeselr> l8r
19:38:25 <sysrqb> #endmeeting