14:58:16 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 12 April 2021
14:58:17 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Apr 12 14:58:16 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:58:17 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:58:27 <boklm> hi!
14:58:35 <antonela> hello!
14:58:38 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hello!
14:58:42 <sysrqb> hello!
14:58:44 <emmapeel> o/
14:58:45 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:05:46 <sysrqb> okay, hello!
15:06:01 <GeKo> o/
15:06:05 <sysrqb> Please add any discussion items on the pad (line 48)
15:08:20 <emmapeel> nice! what i wanted to add is already added :D
15:09:44 <sysrqb> ah ha, great
15:09:56 <sysrqb> okay, let's get started
15:11:49 <sysrqb> we're now in build week, again
15:12:42 <sysrqb> we'll squeeze the alpha Android build in this week between the 78.10esr-based builds
15:13:21 <sysrqb> i have those reviews, and finishing the rebase and audits on my plate
15:13:56 <sysrqb> i'm hoping richard is available this week to start reviewing closed mozilla tickets
15:14:07 <sysrqb> GeKo: can you pick up the dev docs again?
15:14:11 <GeKo> yep
15:14:14 <sysrqb> thanks
15:14:17 <GeKo> and closed tickets if needed
15:14:20 <GeKo> just ping me
15:14:28 <sysrqb> thanks
15:14:29 <GeKo> and whatever is burning :)
15:14:51 <sysrqb> yeah
15:16:01 <sysrqb> boklm: did you add the item about adding the anon tickets projects?
15:16:08 <boklm> yes
15:16:38 <sysrqb> i'm supportive of adding those
15:16:40 <boklm> so what people think about adding some new projects to anon_ticket (cypherpunks)?
15:16:45 <sysrqb> does anyone want to discuss it?
15:16:52 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> +1
15:18:02 * sysrqb hears no objections
15:18:28 <sysrqb> i'll post on the issue that we should proceed
15:19:24 <sysrqb> okay, next. Burmese localization
15:19:48 <emmapeel> i would like to help bridge the gap between Burmese translators and tbb devs this week. please let me know if there are problmes you see with the strings, and i will try to test tbb with the Burmese translators to see that the strings look OK, etc.
15:20:15 <sysrqb> Unfortunately the release of Tor Browser 10.5a14 was delayed over the weekend
15:20:48 <sysrqb> hopefully it will be released within the next day
15:21:23 <sysrqb> emmapeel: thanks. i didn't see any obvious problems when I looked at the Nightly version on Friday
15:21:29 <emmapeel> one thing to note is that there are currently internet and electricity shutdowns in Myanmar, so the communication may not be so easy
15:21:49 <sysrqb> but I'll monitor the blog comments for feedback, as well as gitlab tickets
15:22:00 <sysrqb> yeah :(
15:23:01 <sysrqb> emmapeel: i'll ping you when the new Tor Browser version is available
15:23:12 <emmapeel> thanks sysrqb
15:24:02 <sysrqb> antonela: oh. did you add this item on the pad?
15:24:12 <sysrqb> i just realized I didn't send comms an update
15:24:27 <sysrqb> i directly pinged al over the weekend
15:24:38 <sysrqb> sorry for that
15:26:48 <sysrqb> okay, we can come back to this topic.
15:27:02 <sysrqb> The last item is about the upcoming Firefox ESR transition
15:27:04 <antonela> is good
15:27:08 <antonela> emmapeel handled it
15:27:47 <sysrqb> okay, good
15:28:25 <sysrqb> I sent an email to tbb-dev@ last week regarding future Tor Browser plans
15:30:02 <sysrqb> we can begin looking at the desktop migration from 78esr to 91esr at the end of this month
15:31:03 <sysrqb> we can move Linux's Nightly version onto 91 early in the process
15:31:36 <sysrqb> and then we can concentrate on moving Windows and macOS in June and July
15:32:14 <sysrqb> and this transition should be stable by September
15:32:45 <sysrqb> and this brrings us to the last item on the discussion list
15:32:53 <sysrqb> Tor Browser 10.5 and Tor Browser 11
15:33:51 <sysrqb> Tor Browser 11 is easy to plan - that is when we move Tor Browser Stable onto 91esr, in September (or earlier)
15:34:22 <sysrqb> Tor Browser 10.5 is a little more interesting
15:34:56 <sysrqb> the original goal was that 10.5 would be an anti-censorship focused version
15:35:22 <sysrqb> but we haven't accomplished much in that area
15:35:49 <sysrqb> we may have a quick-start mode, and that improves usability
15:36:22 <sysrqb> i was hoping Richard would be at this meeting
15:36:34 <sysrqb> is dunqan around?
15:36:48 <dunqan> hello! yes I'm lurking
15:36:54 <sysrqb> hi!
15:37:32 <sysrqb> antonela: dunqan: did you discuss the current quick-start implementation?
15:37:45 <dunqan> yep, antonela is going to be mostly taking back over on the quickstart work
15:37:53 <antonela> yes, i took over s30 tickets and also commented on the current ticket
15:38:11 <sysrqb> great. i haven't read the ticket recently
15:38:22 <antonela> do we know when richard is back?
15:38:26 <dunqan> we were hoping to get an up to date build to test the recent progress on the ticket I believe
15:38:27 <sysrqb> can you summarize your feeling about it in 1 sentence? :)
15:38:46 <sysrqb> oh, i see. okay
15:38:56 <sysrqb> richard should be back this week
15:39:03 <sysrqb> that was the plan last week, at least
15:39:13 <sysrqb> i'll follow up with him and confirm
15:39:24 <sysrqb> and then lat you know
15:39:30 <antonela> its great, i launched the latest build and i know there are a bunch of details dunqan and richard worked on refining but it looks super good
15:39:57 <dunqan> +1
15:40:00 <antonela> we will need to define some stuff around bridges
15:40:03 <sysrqb> awesome
15:40:33 <sysrqb> do you think it should be part of Tor Browser 10.5?
15:40:46 <antonela> depends
15:40:56 <sysrqb> phrased another way, is adding it in 10.5 an important improvement?
15:41:06 <antonela> im not sure about sponsor timelines
15:41:20 <antonela> back last year we decided to launch this in 2 parts
15:41:30 <antonela> i hope it eventually happens :)
15:41:37 <sysrqb> yeah
15:41:48 <antonela> 10.5 stable is june?
15:41:56 <antonela> i think we can have something refined for june, yes
15:42:11 <antonela> i need to sync with richard
15:42:29 <antonela> refined, polished
15:43:03 <sysrqb> yeah, i think we should release 10.5 stable within the next 6-8 weeks
15:43:28 <sysrqb> this will begin blocking/hurting the 91esr transition
15:43:43 <sysrqb> so i don't want to delay more than necessary
15:44:23 <sysrqb> but we can wait until Richard is online again
15:44:28 <sysrqb> and you can discuss with him a timeline for this
15:45:20 <antonela> yes, lets make sure gaba is in the loop, she should have better idea about sponsor timeline and teams capacity
15:45:33 <sysrqb> yep
15:45:40 <gaba> im here reading
15:45:55 <antonela> cool
15:47:15 <sysrqb> the four of us can meet later this week, if that will be helpful for planning
15:47:21 <sysrqb> because we missed the s30 meeting last week
15:47:31 <antonela> right
15:47:32 <sysrqb> but i'll ask richard for his availability
15:47:39 <antonela> super, thanks
15:48:23 <gaba> yep
15:48:45 <sysrqb> okay, that's all of the items on the pad
15:48:50 <sysrqb> thanks everyone
15:48:55 <sysrqb> have a good week
15:49:11 <sysrqb> #endmeeting