16:00:19 <cohosh> #startmeeting anti-censorship meeting
16:00:19 <MeetBot> Meeting started Thu Apr 15 16:00:19 2021 UTC.  The chair is cohosh. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:19 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:45 <cohosh> here is our meeting pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-keep
16:00:54 <cohosh> dcf1: thanks for running the meeting last week
16:01:19 <dcf1> no problem
16:02:06 <cohosh> there's not much on the agenda for today
16:02:49 <cohosh> looks like microsoft still hasn't cut off our access to domain fronting
16:04:06 <cohosh> i've started putting together our march monthly report: https://pad.riseup.net/p/s_4y64GAf7y7foF_IKEK
16:04:15 <cohosh> so if anyone wants to add to it, feel free
16:05:39 <cohosh> the only discussion point is whether we want to select a reading for our next reading group
16:06:09 <cohosh> i would be down to discuss some of this throttling work
16:07:25 <dcf1> so far there's just the online report, no peer-reviewed publication yet
16:07:38 <dcf1> maybe we could get a censored planet person to discuss it with us
16:07:54 <cohosh> yeah that would be cool
16:08:11 <arma2> i bet we could get roya to engage if we asked
16:08:11 <cohosh> we've done readings in the past that weren't peer reviewed
16:08:27 <arma2> (or also eric etc, many options)
16:08:41 <cohosh> but we could also wait on it if it's work in progress and we want to see what else happens first
16:09:12 <cohosh> seems like there is a lot of potential discussion for future work and how we understand blocking :)
16:09:35 <cohosh> before we pick it, are there any other suggestions?
16:10:33 <dcf1> I'm looking at https://github.com/net4people/bbs/wiki/Reading-list
16:10:50 <dcf1> There is a new one I added a couple days ago from usenix security 2021, "domain shadowing"
16:11:08 <cohosh> oh yeah! we had the authors write a blog post for us that is still in the works
16:11:19 <cohosh> so they would probably be interested in joining for discussion
16:11:34 <dcf1> I skimmed it and at first didn't seem to see what it is doing differently than CacheBrowsing, except that you configure the CDn to point to other people's domains
16:11:40 <dcf1> oh great
16:11:58 <cohosh> okay let's pick that actually since we are currently engaging with the authors
16:12:21 <cohosh> and then we can see if there are any developments in the throttling work and leave it for a future discussion
16:13:15 <cohosh> this is stuff is also interesting: https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/68
16:14:00 <dcf1> someone got back a couple weeks ago to say they were doing experiments from China on that, but I haven't heard any results
16:15:18 <dcf1> yesterday someone posted what appears to be leaked schedule of what VPNs Roskomnadzor plans to try to block in the next 2 years, but there's no proof of its authenticity
16:15:22 <dcf1> https://ntc.party/t/rkn-will-try-to-block-the-following-vpn-services/1022
16:16:23 <dcf1> Tor is not on the list (neither is PIA, as valdikss points out)
16:16:34 <cohosh> woah nice
16:17:39 <cohosh> is goodbyedpi considered a VPN?
16:18:26 <dcf1> not really as I understand it, it doesn't interpose a proxy. you just connect directly to the distination using various flow-reconstruction-foiling tricks.
16:20:48 <cohosh> hm okay i see valdikss comment on the credibility
16:22:27 <cohosh> alright, unless there are objections i'll announce domain shadowing for the next discussion and see what we need to do to get the blog post published
16:22:47 <cohosh> sounds like we have some good ideas for future sessions as well
16:22:55 <cohosh> anything else to discuss this week?
16:23:47 <dcf1> I haven't forgotten snowflake!31, just haven't had time yet
16:24:14 <cohosh> okay no worries, it's not blocking me right now
16:24:19 <agix> hi
16:24:26 <cohosh> agix: hey!
16:24:56 <gaba> cohosh: did you see the issues from irl? no rush but it would be good to have a reply there https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/metrics/collector/-/issues/40002
16:25:04 <gaba> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/metrics/relay-search/-/issues/40003
16:26:12 <cohosh> gaba: yes, and i probably won't have time to work on them in the next couple weeks
16:26:22 <agix> cohosh hey
16:26:28 <cohosh> do you need feedback on something or just the actual bridgestrap work?
16:27:14 <cohosh> this would also be a good first task for meskio once he starts :)
16:27:47 <arma2> agreed ("hi, here's a codebase!" :)
16:28:24 <gaba> only a reply with timeline for iain to organize himself with work
16:28:31 <gaba> yes!
16:28:34 <cohosh> lol we used this ticket as our hiring programming challenge
16:28:58 <arma2> even better
16:29:07 <cohosh> or a slight modification of it
16:29:09 <cohosh> anyway
16:29:26 <cohosh> i'll respond with a timeline, thanks gaba!
16:31:28 * cohosh waits another minute to see if there's anything else before closing the meeting
16:33:02 <cohosh> #endmeeting