15:00:46 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser meeting 19 April 2021
15:00:46 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Apr 19 15:00:46 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:46 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:54 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:01:24 <pospeselr> o/
15:01:26 <boklm> hi!
15:02:40 <GeKo> o/
15:06:26 <gaba> hi
15:06:35 <sysrqb> hello everyone
15:10:05 <sysrqb> i hope everyone had a nice weekend
15:10:15 <sysrqb> we're in release week
15:10:46 <sysrqb> Mozilla moved their release day to today, but i'm not moving our scheduled release day, tomorrow
15:11:24 <sysrqb> desktop Tor Browser stable will be ready for publication tomorrow
15:11:34 <boklm> any known reason about why they did that?
15:11:57 <sysrqb> boklm: yes, i was going to talk about that next :)
15:12:12 <boklm> ok :)
15:12:19 <sysrqb> simply, they are extending the FF89 beta cycle from 4 weeks to 6 weeks
15:12:41 <sysrqb> and it seems moving today's release made it nicer
15:13:17 <sysrqb> Mozilla want additional time for testing the changes in FF89, before releasing it
15:13:51 * antonela waves
15:14:09 <sysrqb> I assume this is giving them extra time for uplifting fixes into FF90 before that enters ESR.
15:14:19 <sysrqb> anik_009[m]: o/
15:14:23 <sysrqb> err.
15:14:28 <sysrqb> antonela: o/ :)
15:14:41 <antonela> o/
15:15:01 <sysrqb> this means that there aren't any scheduled releases in May from Mozilla
15:15:18 <sysrqb> i see two opportunities here
15:15:36 <sysrqb> 1) this should give us enough time to get our Android releases back on track
15:16:32 <sysrqb> 2) we should get Linux onto the rapid release train
15:16:52 <sysrqb> and then we'll move it back onto ESR along with the other platforms
15:17:08 <boklm> for the alpha series?
15:17:17 <sysrqb> maybe only nightly
15:17:23 <boklm> ok
15:17:27 <GeKo> i'd be very happen with 1)
15:17:47 <GeKo> *happy
15:17:53 <sysrqb> yeah.
15:18:38 <sysrqb> boklm: i think we should limit the Linux change to Nightly until we rlease Tor Browser 10.5
15:18:54 <boklm> yes
15:19:19 <sysrqb> great
15:20:20 <sysrqb> pospeselr: antonela: we didn't meet last week about the status of the quick start changes
15:20:37 <sysrqb> how close is that now?
15:20:57 <sysrqb> i saw pospeselr uploaded some test builds
15:20:58 <pospeselr> the remaining todos there are:
15:21:58 <pospeselr> - fix the about:tor onion pattern (nbd)
15:21:58 <pospeselr> - deactivate megabar expansion when not connected to tor (not sure about this one design wise, we should probably chat anto/dunqan)
15:21:58 <pospeselr> - fix any remaining design nits
15:22:31 <pospeselr> test macOS build with everything except thi sweeks work is here: https://people.torproject.org/~richard/builds/bug_27476/TorBrowser-tbb-nightly.2021.04.15-osx64_en-US.dmg
15:22:39 <dunqan> no prob, happy to chat about that one
15:23:08 <pospeselr> also not to sure about removing the placeholder text makes sense either
15:23:26 <antonela> thanks for that build pospeselr
15:23:33 <pospeselr> well makes sense on about:torconnect so it I've hidden it there, but things are weird w/ regards to other tabs
15:23:41 <antonela> im working with the offline status, will have updates this week
15:23:54 <antonela> right
15:24:34 <pospeselr> ok, in that case I'll prioritize diving into the potentially problematic mozila 88 patches this week before implementing more design for this
15:25:07 <sysrqb> can we set a target deadline of 30 April for having a patch that we can land in Tor Browser Nightly?
15:25:13 <pospeselr> well and fixing the about:tor onion pattern
15:25:23 <sysrqb> is that too fast?
15:25:35 <pospeselr> yeah I think so, presuming any new design changes aren't too crazy
15:25:49 <antonela> cool, yes they are not :)
15:26:08 <sysrqb> excellent
15:26:14 <antonela> i want to make more explicit when the browser is offline, right now with the default theme is quite hard to notice it
15:26:22 <antonela> we can do it with some small tweaks
15:26:43 * antonela small tweaks, the worst last two words
15:26:55 <pospeselr> i wasn't going to say anything :0
15:27:00 <antonela> lol
15:27:55 <sysrqb> heh
15:28:00 <dunqan> "diminutive adjustments"
15:28:36 <pospeselr> "what if we communicated the tor-browser connectivity state through the medium of dance"
15:28:47 <sysrqb> "no."
15:28:54 <antonela> "maybe"
15:29:07 <pospeselr> "easy patch have a new build up next week"
15:29:14 <pospeselr> *3 months later*
15:29:19 <antonela> "it takes 2 minutes"
15:29:37 * sysrqb reconsiders life choices
15:29:51 <sysrqb> aaaaaaanyway.
15:30:32 <sysrqb> With this timeline, i'd like to begin planning 10.5 stable in mid-June.
15:31:18 <sysrqb> we can discuss more concreate plans over the coming weeks
15:31:23 <sysrqb> concrete
15:32:22 <sysrqb> but i'll say "15 June" as a target/placeholder
15:32:54 <antonela> cool
15:34:04 <sysrqb> next topic, Moz88 Android
15:34:21 <sysrqb> i'm debugging a crash in a full testbuild now
15:34:50 <GeKo> ah, is that the reason why we don't have alphas yet?
15:35:15 <sysrqb> i was hoping we could combine 78.10esr and 88 Alphas
15:35:51 <sysrqb> but I don't want to delay the desktop build too long
15:36:14 <sysrqb> GeKo: yes, that's the main reason now
15:36:18 <GeKo> yeah
15:36:26 <GeKo> okay, i did not see any ticket or so
15:36:32 <GeKo> so i was wondering what is going on :)
15:36:41 <sysrqb> i got everything building on Friday based on boklm's toolchain updates
15:36:51 <sysrqb> but there's a crash in Fenix now
15:37:01 <sysrqb> so i'm looking at that today
15:38:16 <sysrqb> boklm: i have a small fixup for your branch - the fenix gradle dependency list is missing some packages we add in our patches
15:38:32 <sysrqb> i'll post a link to a commit with the changes
15:38:50 <boklm> ok
15:41:07 <sysrqb> last item it more of an announcement
15:41:46 <sysrqb> we're beginning the hiring process for a new tor browser developer position this week
15:42:33 <sysrqb> https://www.torproject.org/about/jobs/tor-browser-developer/
15:43:42 <sysrqb> please help advertise this position widely so we get as many diverse and qualified candidates as possible
15:45:02 <sysrqb> And this everything for this week's meeting
15:45:15 <sysrqb> thanks for coming, everyone
15:45:23 <sysrqb> #endmeeting