15:00:26 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 26 April 2021
15:00:26 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Apr 26 15:00:26 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:26 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:34 <sysrqb> welcome, welcome
15:01:00 <pospeselr> o/
15:01:02 <dunqan> o/
15:01:09 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:01:12 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hello!
15:01:17 <boklm> hi
15:01:55 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos apologizes profusely for missing last week's meeting
15:02:04 <antonela> hello!
15:02:06 <sysrqb> o/
15:02:42 <gaba> hi!
15:06:09 <sysrqb> okay, let's get started
15:06:10 <sysrqb> boklm: did you see my ping in #tor-dev?
15:06:36 <boklm> yes, I'm currently uploading my android build
15:06:38 <emmapeel> o/
15:06:43 <sysrqb> great, thanks boklm
15:06:46 <sysrqb> hi emmapeel !
15:06:59 <emmapeel> alo alo
15:07:27 <sysrqb> i opened tor-browser#40420 for tracking that
15:08:06 <sysrqb> hello matrix people
15:08:27 <dunqan> lol
15:09:02 <dunqan> _oftc-irc:matrix.org has joined the chat_
15:09:31 <sysrqb> heh
15:10:13 <sysrqb> okay, we have three significant objectives over the next month
15:10:25 <sysrqb> and i want to make sure everyone is aware of them
15:10:42 <sysrqb> the final piece is the discussion topic, as well
15:11:00 <sysrqb> (or, the first discussion topic)
15:11:29 <sysrqb> 1) Stablizing S30 quick-start in nightly/alpha
15:11:51 <sysrqb> (not landed in nightly yet, but hopefully it will be next week)
15:12:04 <sysrqb> 2) Moz89 preparations
15:12:20 <sysrqb> 3) version 2 onion services deprecation
15:13:16 <antonela> 4) snowflake lands in stable?
15:13:16 <sysrqb> 1. is still in pospeselr / antonela / dunqan's hands
15:13:31 <sysrqb> antonela: yes, but i'm less concerned about that
15:13:39 <antonela> oki
15:13:45 <sysrqb> but, yes, 4. snowflake in 10.5 stable :)
15:14:02 <antonela> re 1. yes, can we upstream s30 patches to make it the next alpha?
15:14:20 * antonela which is on may the 4th if im not wrong
15:14:30 <emmapeel> i wanted to talk about QA when adding new langs but maybe is just a ticket, not a point on the meeting
15:15:14 <sysrqb> emmapeel: okay, i added an item on the meeting pad :)
15:15:28 <sysrqb> i can ping you when we reach it
15:15:39 <emmapeel> great, thanks!
15:16:08 <sysrqb> antonela: i suspect may 4th is optimistic now
15:16:14 <sysrqb> let's say may 7th
15:16:24 <sysrqb> and that is probably too aggressive, too
15:16:27 <sysrqb> but let's try
15:17:01 <antonela> okey, we are planning an small round of feedback collection with that alpha
15:17:13 <antonela> so we will plan with may 7th in mind
15:17:41 <antonela> pospeselr: how do you feel for that date for wrapping the url stuff?
15:17:46 <antonela> urlbar i mean
15:17:46 <sysrqb> i'd like at least one nightly
15:18:05 <sysrqb> so the patches should land before 4 May
15:18:23 <antonela> well, exclusive folks already have the nightly :)
15:18:38 <antonela> sounds good matt, i want to make sure pospeselr is fine with it
15:18:40 <pospeselr> which urlbar fixes? moving the bootstrap status to separate thing in the urlbar?
15:18:53 <pospeselr> or pruning out search suggestions, etc when offline?
15:18:58 <antonela> the former
15:19:22 <pospeselr> ok the former should be done this week
15:19:38 <pospeselr> if we're lucky it may get done today
15:20:00 <antonela> amazing like always pospeselr
15:20:17 <sysrqb> great
15:20:31 <pospeselr> sysrqb: fwiw the about:torconnect feature is fully functional, we're just tweaking the UX at this point
15:20:52 <sysrqb> very exciting
15:21:14 <antonela> indeed
15:21:18 <sysrqb> should we start thinking about code review?
15:22:22 <sysrqb> pospeselr: ^ that was for you  :)
15:22:40 <pospeselr> yeah, i think so after the urlbar fixes mentioned above
15:23:01 <sysrqb> okay
15:23:17 <sysrqb> i guess ping me when that's ready
15:23:24 <pospeselr> the biggest concerning piece is over the changes needed to enable dark-mode, but we've had a round of informal review from tjr and sanketh so I'm feeling less paranoid over it now
15:23:53 <sysrqb> yeah, i looked at the patch, too
15:24:04 <sysrqb> i only sarcastically commented abut your commit message
15:24:12 <pospeselr> aah right
15:24:25 <sysrqb> okay, sounds good
15:25:06 <sysrqb> alright, let's move on to: 2. Moz89
15:25:25 <sysrqb> we haven't finished Moz88 yet, but mozilla isn't waiting for us
15:26:57 <sysrqb> the next alpha release will depend on this Moz89 transition
15:27:22 <sysrqb> hopefully now we have mre tooling in place, and this process should be faster
15:27:26 <sysrqb> *more
15:28:16 <pospeselr> aw, so we need to look through the 89 patches as well?
15:28:20 <sysrqb> i'll be looking at the remaining Moz88 tickets this week, with pospeselr
15:28:39 <sysrqb> pospeselr: they don't stop :) :(
15:29:09 <pospeselr> unbelievable
15:29:57 <pospeselr> i believe i've posted the short list of tickets we need to look at for moz88
15:30:03 <sysrqb> thanks
15:30:32 <pospeselr> if we're splitting this up i can go through and do the same for 89 while you dive into those, or i can dive and you can make the 89 short list
15:30:35 <sysrqb> regarding 10.5a15, we may publish it despite non-matching builds - depending on the cause
15:30:44 <sysrqb> but we'll know after this meeting
15:31:07 <sysrqb> pospeselr: okay. we can talk about that
15:31:21 <sysrqb> looking at the Moz89 tickets in't very high priority right now
15:31:28 <sysrqb> we have 2-3 weeks for those now
15:31:42 <pospeselr> ah ok, then i'll focus on the 88s
15:31:47 <sysrqb> *isn't
15:31:49 <sysrqb> thanks
15:32:20 <sysrqb> okay. item #3, v2 onion service deprecation
15:32:47 <sysrqb> we have two tickets: tor-browser#40415 tor-browser#40416
15:32:53 <sysrqb> (thanks antonela )
15:32:57 <antonela> :)
15:33:02 <antonela> feel free to go over them after the meeting
15:33:16 <antonela> they dont have a final version, is an opening to see what we can do with the time we have
15:33:56 <sysrqb> we have a very short timeline for these issues
15:34:09 <sysrqb> so they are somehow getting completed in May, too
15:34:17 <antonela> (thanks dunqan for your review there!)
15:34:24 <dunqan> no prob!
15:35:47 <sysrqb> okay, #4. snowflake in 10.5 stable.
15:36:21 <sysrqb> i discussed this with cohosh, and we are planning on leetting snowflake continue into 10.5 stable
15:36:31 <sysrqb> we may get some last-minute patches in May
15:36:51 <sysrqb> but, overall, we'll see what happens when it's available to move people
15:36:57 <sysrqb> *more
15:38:18 <sysrqb> okay, next item.
15:38:30 <sysrqb> antonela: we can re-start the release meetings
15:38:40 <sysrqb> maybe that is helpful as we get closer to 10.5 stable release
15:38:56 <antonela> right
15:38:57 <sysrqb> and we have a lot of activity in May
15:39:51 <sysrqb> 4 May at 1900 UTC?
15:40:04 <sysrqb> gaba: ^
15:40:30 <gaba> hey
15:40:52 <sysrqb> restarting the release meeting
15:41:16 <gaba> ok, adding it to the calendar. should we send a mail to tor-projecT@ about it?
15:41:55 <sysrqb> sure. i think it is more for internal coordination
15:42:03 <sysrqb> but we can announce it  on the mailing list
15:42:12 <gaba> ok
15:42:36 <sysrqb> should i send that or should you?
15:43:23 <gaba> https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep <-- i will recover it
15:43:27 <gaba> I can send a mail
15:43:28 <antonela> thanks gaba
15:43:29 <gaba> about it
15:43:33 <sysrqb> thanks!
15:43:57 <sysrqb> grat.
15:44:04 <sysrqb> great
15:44:10 <sysrqb> okay, emmapeel o/
15:44:58 <emmapeel> ey there! ok, first of all, thanks so much for getting on board with releasing tor browser in burmese. the alpha was very timely and worked very well, made translators feel support ed and made them work harder
15:45:25 <emmapeel> now, the bad part was that the stable was just too quick for the feedback to make it to us in time
15:46:15 <emmapeel> the whole process of review took longer than the week we had, i am not sure if it was really because of the situation in Myanmar, like, they are shooting people and there is no electricity, let alone internet, or it is just hard to get the input back
15:46:39 <emmapeel> so, there were some changes that should have made it to the stable and didnt
15:46:56 <emmapeel> (i know, they should open tickets but they just mail erinm and then she tell me etc)
15:47:42 <emmapeel> then there was the windows installer thing. the translator was trying to report the problem for days and we didnt understood him. we (erinm and me) also didnt have a windows box to test the issue
15:48:35 <emmapeel> so, i wonder, apart of giving more time for the input, if we could have a manual test suite when a new language is added, to make sure we dont run on this problems
15:49:05 <sysrqb> yes, we should create a check-list (or similar)
15:49:16 <emmapeel> for example, the lack of Burmese option on the windows installer could have been found out by us instead of a translator that has little internet an does not know how to report tickets
15:49:44 <emmapeel> and when i say us i dont say me :D:D i mean, i do not know enough about windows
15:50:02 <emmapeel> but then if somebody asks me, i can say 'it has been tested!'
15:50:30 <sysrqb> i was more concerned with the localization in the browser, so i didn't test it on windows
15:50:45 <sysrqb> but yes, we should've seen this earlier
15:51:15 <emmapeel> i also think we need to give more time for feedback to reach us after we publish the alpha
15:51:24 <sysrqb> there are not many OS-specific parts, but this installer is one of them that we missed
15:51:46 <sysrqb> i thought we would get more feedback from the diaspora community
15:51:50 <sysrqb> and one week would be enough
15:52:04 <sysrqb> but that was a bad assumption
15:52:17 <emmapeel> i think it is important to publish the alpha early, but maybe we hurried a little bit with the stable
15:52:24 <sysrqb> yes
15:52:42 <sysrqb> i thought publishing the stable was more important because of the current situation in the country
15:52:45 <emmapeel> just saying this so people does not loose sleep with next language
15:52:54 <sysrqb> but maybe that was not right
15:53:53 <emmapeel> well, it is important, and maybe we can publish the stable anyway even with some errors, but the truth is that the contributors didnt had time to have their feedback. i am not talking directly with them, maybe that is another problem of loclab gatekeeping but the people is very scared at the moment
15:54:00 <emmapeel> maybe another language will be different
15:54:42 <sysrqb> okay, i understand
15:55:46 <emmapeel> anyway it was great and it was pretty fast and it worked! so it is only those two little things i would change. unfortunately we may be in a similar situation with other languages soon :S
15:56:03 <emmapeel> (of people wanting to use tor browser because their military is shooting at them)
15:56:17 <sysrqb> yeah, i'll write a small retrospective on this sowe can improve the process next time
15:56:24 <sysrqb> *so we
15:56:31 <sysrqb> thakns for this feedback
15:56:47 <emmapeel> thanks for supporting the whole Burmese localizatoin effort and being so quick!
15:57:03 <sysrqb> i'm  happy we can help people
15:57:08 <emmapeel> anyway thats all from me. i will open a ticket about the hecklist tonight
15:57:15 <sysrqb> thank you
15:57:17 <emmapeel> (checklist
15:57:45 <sysrqb> alrighty. that's everything for today
15:57:48 <sysrqb> thanks everyone!
15:57:50 <sysrqb> have a good week
15:57:53 <gaba> o/
15:57:55 <sysrqb> #endmeeting