15:00:00 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 3 May 2021
15:00:00 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon May  3 15:00:00 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:00 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:08 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:00:12 <gaba> hi!
15:00:27 <boklm> hi!
15:00:58 <antonela> o/
15:06:25 <sysrqb> oh, there you are
15:06:51 <pospeselr> o/
15:07:00 <sysrqb> happy monday
15:07:31 <pospeselr> heh
15:07:42 <sysrqb> okay. let's get started
15:08:41 <sysrqb> i'm expecting a 78.10.1esr point release and Fenix 88.1.3 tags from mozilla swithin the next couple days
15:09:13 <sysrqb> so we should plan on building for all platforms
15:09:59 <sysrqb> and we'll use Fenix 88.1.3 as the Android Tor Browser stable release
15:10:26 <sysrqb> because we were planning on releasing that early this week, anyway)
15:11:09 <sysrqb> (that is release Android Tor Browser stable based on Fenix 88)
15:13:27 <sysrqb> pospeselr: are you planning another round of fixes for tor-browser#27476?
15:14:00 <sysrqb> (we can come back to this)
15:14:22 <sysrqb> antonela: tell me more about the S30 user feedback plan :)
15:14:43 <pospeselr> sysrqb: 27476 is ready for review
15:14:57 <pospeselr> dunqan has found a list of issues, but none of them are major enough to block merging with alpha
15:15:26 <dunqan> yup, mostly UX/UI edge cases
15:15:27 <pospeselr> unless there is something more immediately pressing this week, I can continue fixing the remaining odities
15:15:45 <dunqan> with the exception of the old tor launcher reappearing – but that may be a profiles/testing oddity that doesn't manifest in the wild
15:15:45 <antonela> my plan is having an alpha release and use that alpha to call for testing in tor-qa
15:15:46 <sysrqb> pospeselr: alrighty, great. will you  put an MR on my plate?
15:15:56 <antonela> sysrqb: i hope we can plan for it this week
15:16:01 <pospeselr> yeah
15:16:10 <sysrqb> pospeselr: great
15:16:14 <pospeselr> oh and the torbutton changes should work on their own w/o the tor-browser changes
15:16:16 <sysrqb> antonela: i see.
15:16:20 <sysrqb> okay
15:16:27 <pospeselr> though it will 'break' about:tor in only cosmetic ways
15:17:10 <dunqan> <antonela> sysrqb: i hope we can plan for it this week <- do we have an established flow for alpha testers to report issues?
15:19:07 <antonela> dunqan: we do have a how to report a bug entry in support, BUT we can review it
15:19:08 <antonela> https://support.torproject.org/misc/bug-or-feedback/
15:19:36 <antonela> (we can probably work in a template)
15:19:42 <dunqan> oh perfect, ty
15:19:55 <antonela> we should have thurayya in this loop, i'll send an email
15:20:08 <dunqan> yeah maybe we should pull together a template/single ticket to collate feedback for this alpha in particular
15:20:22 <antonela> right, that will make it easier for people to reporting
15:21:21 <sysrqb> antonela: are you imagining any changes in the browser (like the banner we added for snowflake)?
15:21:27 <sysrqb> i'm guessing no
15:21:36 <sysrqb> just promoting it externally
15:24:23 <antonela> good question, i think no
15:24:47 <antonela> what are you thinking about? a call out for feedback in the alpha?
15:25:17 <sysrqb> yeah, but i think that is less useful her
15:25:21 <sysrqb> *here
15:25:31 <antonela> i feel we should put some dev hours in the v2 deprecation, we can call for feedback in the app later (the next iteration of the launcher will happen at the end of the year, we have some time)
15:25:32 <sysrqb> compared to snowflake
15:25:37 <antonela> right
15:25:54 <dunqan> One thing I've noticed is that although the banners were very effective in terms of shear numbers, it's more of a firehose
15:26:07 <dunqan> e.g. we got a lot of non-snowflake users clicking the snowflake one
15:26:23 <sysrqb> yeah, exactly. i'm concerned about making changes for this feedback taking time away from v2 deprecatin changes
15:26:28 <sysrqb> antonela: ^
15:26:38 <antonela> dunqan: good point
15:26:43 <sysrqb> so i'm fine with not making changes
15:26:54 <antonela> super
15:27:36 <antonela> so, having the alpha is the best thing for us to collect user feedback
15:28:15 <sysrqb> sounds good to me
15:28:17 <antonela> and we will not push any substantial change for the stable release but run a QA of major bugs
15:29:12 <sysrqb> great
15:29:15 <antonela> shout out to duncan[m] for the QA outline in the ticket and to pospeselr for sure for the awesome work in that UI <3
15:29:35 <pospeselr> <3
15:29:36 <sysrqb> +3
15:29:45 <dunqan> \o/
15:29:46 <pospeselr> always a good time :)
15:29:53 <antonela> :D
15:29:55 <dunqan> ha
15:30:02 <pospeselr> (mostly seriously)
15:30:09 <sysrqb> heh
15:30:55 <sysrqb> pospeselr: will the torbutton MR contain the strings for localization?
15:32:12 <pospeselr> ummm I *think* they are in tor-launcher
15:32:13 <pospeselr> one sec
15:32:36 <sysrqb> ah, okay
15:33:16 <pospeselr> one annoyance is that we've modified a super verbose string to be way shorter for the tooltip, so the CL is huge from the deletion in non en-US locales
15:33:26 <pospeselr> yeah it's in tor-launcher
15:33:57 <sysrqb> okay
15:34:15 <pospeselr> sysrqb: what's your gitlab username?
15:35:42 <pospeselr> gah nm
15:35:45 <pospeselr> i'm failing at gitlab
15:36:05 <sysrqb> two thoughts: 1) maybe we should use a different label for the new string(s), 2) we may want to factor out the strings into a separate commit so translators can being their work while the code review is in progress
15:36:29 <sysrqb> but we can decide if either of those are necessary later this week
15:39:57 <sysrqb> pospeselr: and, separately, i'm going to put a couple reviews on your plate
15:40:05 <pospeselr> sounds good to me!
15:40:19 <sysrqb> thanks for reviewing all of the FF88 tickets
15:40:35 <pospeselr> np
15:41:40 <sysrqb> okay, i think that's everything for this meeting
15:41:47 <sysrqb> thanks for coming everyone
15:41:51 <sysrqb> #endmeeting