16:00:24 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser Release Meeting 5 May 2021
16:00:24 <MeetBot> Meeting started Wed May  5 16:00:24 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:24 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:26 <antonela> hello
16:00:32 <sysrqb> Pad: http://kfahv6wfkbezjyg4r6mlhpmieydbebr5vkok5r34ya464gqz6c44bnyd.onion/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep
16:01:08 <sysrqb> or https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep
16:01:22 <antonela> o/
16:01:30 <sysrqb> :)
16:01:52 <sysrqb> welcome to the not-All-Hands Tor Browser release meeting
16:02:04 <antonela> ha
16:02:12 <antonela> do we need anyone else?
16:02:17 <antonela> gaba: ?
16:02:18 <sysrqb> maybe gaba
16:02:42 <sysrqb> idk if anyone else is coming. ggus is afk, yes?
16:02:46 <antonela> yes
16:03:09 <sysrqb> *shrug* only us
16:03:10 <antonela> so
16:03:13 <sysrqb> si
16:03:48 <antonela> we have an alpha set for 05.11 but is just mobile
16:03:49 <sysrqb> i adjusted some dates on the pad because I updated the release schedule
16:03:52 <antonela> super
16:04:07 <antonela> when is the desktop one and what do you aim to include there?
16:04:07 <antonela> also
16:04:24 <antonela> should we have v2 deprecation tickets and s30 related patches in different alphas?
16:04:44 <antonela> these are my main questions for today
16:05:50 <sysrqb> ideally they would be in added in different alphas, but I think we should combine them now
16:06:03 <sysrqb> we just don't have much time before 10.5 stable
16:06:32 <sysrqb> and i don't see much benefit in delaying the error message in the TB alpha with 0.4.6 already
16:06:38 <antonela> right
16:07:04 <sysrqb> so, if we can get these error messges/UI implmeneted soon, then I prefer including them
16:07:08 <gaba> hi!
16:07:11 <sysrqb> o/
16:07:41 <antonela> o/
16:08:04 <sysrqb> I think I may keep 11 May as Android only
16:08:12 <sysrqb> and then add a desktop version at the end of that week
16:08:16 * gaba will note this in the pad
16:08:17 <sysrqb> or early in the following week
16:08:34 <sysrqb> *desktop alpha version
16:08:37 <antonela> okey
16:09:11 <sysrqb> i don't think we'll finish the new v2 UI implmentations by the end of this week
16:09:36 <antonela> its good
16:09:47 <antonela> everything will happen next week then
16:09:51 <antonela> regarding https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40416
16:10:20 <antonela> im afraid a full-page warning in every v2 its too much
16:10:39 <sysrqb> and i didn't start reviewing richard's s30 changes, so that's still a few days away from being merged fo Nightly/Alpha testing
16:11:02 <sysrqb> antonela: yeah
16:11:09 <antonela> re s30: got it
16:11:15 <antonela> we can show it the first time and update the url bar icon in all the v2 the user will visit
16:11:16 <sysrqb> only show once, or add a checkbox "don't show this to me again"?
16:11:25 <antonela> right that is another option
16:11:39 <antonela> but the default warning message doesnt have that option, we will need to add it
16:11:57 <sysrqb> true
16:12:46 <sysrqb> i'm okay with showing only once
16:13:09 <sysrqb> and then the "learn More" > in the doorhanger does to the blogpoast?
16:13:14 <sysrqb> *blog post
16:13:24 <sysrqb> *goes
16:13:25 <antonela> i hope we can have the faqs in support so we can link there
16:13:40 <sysrqb> ah ha. okay, yes, that would be nice
16:14:16 <gaba> sysrqb: you are syaing that s30 stuff from richard will be able to go into this alpha release?
16:14:26 <antonela> sysrqb: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/support/-/issues/202
16:14:31 <sysrqb> gaba: yes, that is my hope and goal
16:14:43 <sysrqb> the current quick-start implementation he's been working on
16:14:50 <antonela> sysrqb: i'll ask gus for an url next week when he is back
16:15:03 <sysrqb> antonela: great, yes
16:15:18 <antonela> probably https://support.torproject.org/onionservices/v2-deprecation
16:15:20 <antonela> but not sure
16:15:28 <gaba> ok
16:16:21 <sysrqb> antonela: no problem. urls are easy to change :)
16:16:35 <sysrqb> (in a tor browser patch)
16:16:39 <antonela> yes
16:18:27 <antonela> then, i didnt mention it in the ticket, but we will have snowflake
16:18:31 <antonela> snowflake is already in alpha
16:19:01 <antonela> duncan is working on reporting the survey, we will have it ready for the release and i think that 'd be nice to have a blogpost specifically about it
16:19:06 <antonela> will ping cohosh about it
16:19:08 <sysrqb> antonela: oh. hrm. do you want to mockup errors on Android, too?
16:19:44 <sysrqb> antonela: oh, yes, creating a blog post is definitely a good idea
16:19:53 <sysrqb> we've had some comments on the blog asking about the results of the surveys
16:20:04 <antonela> re android, yes
16:20:31 <antonela> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40410
16:20:41 <sysrqb> (brb)
16:20:47 <antonela> this one has small screens done
16:21:04 <antonela> i'll check the default warning pages in fenix to move with it
16:21:21 <antonela> we dont have an identity doorhanger in tba, so changing the icon will be a thing
16:21:32 <antonela> about:tor can have the warning tho
16:21:38 <sysrqb> .
16:22:05 <sysrqb> yeah
16:22:41 <sysrqb> i think fenix will be a little more complicated than desktop
16:22:51 <sysrqb> but we'll find a way to do it
16:24:50 <sysrqb> okay, great.
16:25:30 <antonela> if i should set up a priority i'd say: 1. about:tor message, 2. warning page, 3. url bar icon
16:25:59 <sysrqb> while we are here, let me know if you have any concerns about the dates I chose for 10.5 and 11.0: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/wikis/Release_Schedule
16:26:23 <sysrqb> we have some felxibility (but not too much) - like a week or so.
16:26:41 <sysrqb> antonela: thanks, understood.
16:27:19 <antonela> got it
16:27:20 <sysrqb> *flexibility
16:27:26 <antonela> right
16:28:18 <antonela> so there is one alpha left to stable
16:28:22 <antonela> on june 1st
16:28:27 <antonela> and we will put all there
16:29:20 <sysrqb> oh, no, sorry, i'll add one more on 18 May
16:29:33 <sysrqb> and all will go in there
16:29:48 <sysrqb> and then any last minute fixes can go into 1 June version
16:29:59 <sysrqb> for final testing before 10.5
16:30:22 * antonela phew
16:30:33 <antonela> that sounds better :)
16:30:48 <sysrqb> sorry, i thought I saw that earlier, but I don't see it now
16:31:04 * sysrqb must've wrote it in their head
16:32:12 <gaba> ok, june 1st is the next deadline after the one on may 11th
16:32:50 <sysrqb> err, *said, not saw.
16:33:07 * sysrqb is having trouble typing today
16:33:19 <antonela> lol
16:33:54 <sysrqb> the may 11 version will be only android , then may 18 will be all platforms, then june 1 will be all platforms
16:35:59 <antonela> all good then
16:36:03 <antonela> what else folks?
16:36:08 * antonela needs chocolate
16:36:46 <sysrqb> Release Schedule is now updated with the 18 May version
16:36:50 <sysrqb> hehehe
16:37:20 <antonela> confirmed haha
16:37:37 * sysrqb is groot
16:37:52 <antonela> me too
16:38:17 <sysrqb> alright. crazy month.
16:39:01 <sysrqb> i think we're done
16:39:10 <sysrqb> thanks!
16:39:15 <antonela> thanks matt!
16:39:17 <sysrqb> #endmeeting