17:00:06 <ahf> #startmeeting network team meeting, 7th of june 2021
17:00:06 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Jun  7 17:00:06 2021 UTC.  The chair is ahf. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:00:06 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:00:25 <ahf> our pad is at https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-2021.1-keep
17:00:35 <ahf> hello nickm
17:00:42 <dgoulet> o/
17:00:48 <jnewsome> o.
17:00:48 <gaba> o/
17:00:48 <jnewsome> o/
17:00:52 <ahf> this is our first meeting of the month, meaning we wont do s61 stuff today, but we have the long agenda
17:01:38 <nickm> (hi all!)
17:01:49 <ahf> have everybody had a chance to look at their board since our roadmap thursday? we ended the meeting a bit earlier to do async "homework" on getting our boards up-to-date and prioritized instead of all sitting in a bbb
17:02:19 <ahf> if not, please get that done asap :-) gaba, nickm, and i will try to do some regular triaging before our monday meetings in the future. we started a bit today and will continue over the next weeks
17:02:24 <nickm> There are still "open" assigned items, so probably it's not done
17:02:33 <nickm> I've gone through all the ones that were assigned to volunteers
17:03:28 <ahf> excellent
17:03:45 <asn> o/
17:03:49 <ahf> i am going to crunch through some of our 0.4.7 milestone tickets in the near future and might shuffle things a bit around, if you see i do something wrong, please let me know
17:04:00 <ahf> o/ asn
17:04:18 <dgoulet> sounds good ahf
17:05:05 <ahf> how are we doing with our release work? the milestones looks OK, so i think it's just the TROVE situation that is in need of time, right?
17:05:35 <ahf> there is one ticket with a lot of debug activity going on which is the freebsd leap second one
17:05:42 <nickm> right.  I intend to make personal branches with all the trove stuff merged earlier in this week.  Then I plan to share them on the list.
17:06:02 <nickm> the leap second one is complicated enough that i think it should get tried out in 047 first
17:06:37 <ahf> i can take it out of 0.4.5 post stable milestone and into 0.4.7 then?
17:06:47 <asn> i might need some help with our fuzzing framework. i have a testing corpus ready, and i know which function i need to enter and how to do so. but i dont know how to get the fuzzing data and pass it to a mocked function.
17:06:52 <nickm> it should eventually get backported maybe though?
17:07:03 <asn> i will have more precise questions for you tomorrow nickm
17:07:06 <ahf> nickm: ah, let's keep it there then, you have it on the radar so i don't worry to much about that
17:07:08 <nickm> asn: sounds great!
17:07:09 <asn> (i will add them to the trove ticket)
17:07:49 <ahf> asn: does the fuzzing stuff block you for some of the other urgent stuff you have on the plate right now? like the onionbalance memory issue for v2 deprecation and so on?
17:08:03 <asn> the OBv3 thing is next on my plate yes
17:08:05 <nickm> the fuzzing thing is for a TROVE issue
17:08:11 <ahf> ok
17:08:33 <asn> i suggest i show the fuzzing thing to nick and he can tell me how much time it is. if it's way too much time, we might want to skip it and move on.
17:08:35 <nickm> we want to be sure we're fixing _all_ instances of a bug
17:08:38 <asn> i will do so tomorrow
17:09:03 <nickm> sounds good
17:09:16 <nickm> (sorry for delay, my latency is really high on this connection)
17:09:33 <ahf> ok, cool
17:09:41 <ahf> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/team/-/wikis/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases is our release page looking fine?
17:10:01 <nickm> seems plausible to me
17:10:03 <ahf> 0.4.6 next week
17:10:48 <nickm> editing the upcoming release dates
17:10:57 <ahf> excellent
17:11:43 <nickm> done
17:11:56 <nickm> also 0.4.4 is EOL next week
17:12:01 <ahf> so to me it looks like our backport list hasn't had anything that makes us have to look at it now. we have some things that we hope to let brew for a bit before doing further backporting and some of the issues in the list are tickets we want to backport but that haven't landed in main yet
17:12:03 <ahf> nice
17:12:17 <nickm> ahf: sounds good to me
17:13:02 <ahf> we have a task with applying release specific backport labels to our list of backports from may, but since nothing have changed to that since may i don't think we have to do that right now
17:13:23 <ahf> we have one less ticket in https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/team/-/issues since we renamed tor's primary branch
17:13:37 <ahf> hope that was as painless as it could get. haven't heard anything go wrong because of it
17:13:49 <ahf> i don't think we have any updates to any of the remaining two tickets right now
17:15:02 <ahf> are we moving too fast? :-P
17:15:14 <nickm> tpo/core/team#10 is kind of like the ongoing triage thing we're doing
17:15:35 <ahf> ya
17:16:19 <ahf> it's maybe the ticket where we should flesh out a bit what you, gaba and i talked about today and what it is we want to do
17:16:26 <ahf> if we want to have it a bit streamlined over the next mondays
17:16:38 <nickm> sounds good
17:17:37 <ahf> okay, so regarding tickets from other teams. we have a new ticket from the anti-censorship team in tor#40406 and i will join the s30 sync meetings coming up to figure out how we should prioritize these tickets. that is something gaba and i talked about last week
17:17:56 <ahf> we also have a label for network health team tickets that are coming in, and it looks to me like dgoulet have a good eye to those already
17:18:28 <dgoulet> yes that should be fine on my side
17:18:48 <ahf> excellent
17:19:11 <ahf> we have no new announcements, but sort of two discussion points:
17:19:12 <dgoulet> I will have an announcement about health team for this meeting once it is a good time
17:19:20 <dgoulet> -will
17:19:26 <ahf> oh
17:19:28 <ahf> now is a good time
17:20:21 <dgoulet> so quickly to say that health team tooling is officially moving to use arti as part of the roadmap session we had last week. In particular most of our internal tooling we use for bad relays but we also planned (less prio) most detection tools as well.
17:20:40 <nickm> arti is the future :)
17:20:41 <dgoulet> here is a list for the curious but also motivated people to help out! https://pad.riseup.net/p/-yNaEDpbAVbAEhznvlnH
17:20:54 <dgoulet> even sbws is on that list (go juga !)
17:20:55 <ahf> dgoulet: \o/ super nice
17:21:02 <ahf> and very exciting
17:21:18 <dgoulet> and so health team will hopefully start opening tickets in arti and you know, helping moving things :)
17:21:20 <dgoulet> that is all
17:21:48 <ahf> sweet
17:21:57 <ahf> ok, item from nickm
17:21:59 <ahf> 2021-06-07 [nickm] Release planning:
17:21:59 <ahf> I need finished TROVE patches ASAP. Please reach out if anything is pending.
17:22:00 <ahf> Anything we should backport? Let's have a look!
17:22:20 <ahf> i thiiiiiink this have a bit been handled in the meeting unless we missed something here?
17:22:31 <nickm> i think we talked about backporting above, but everybody should have another look if you didn't already
17:22:45 <nickm> for the trove stuff please make sure that any comments on the ticket or MR you have , have been addressed
17:23:20 <nickm> (end)
17:23:24 <ahf> cool
17:23:39 <ahf> and my next item has already been said: please make sure to go over your board and do some roadmap like spring cleaning to it ;-)
17:23:49 <ahf> okay, we are out of discussion items
17:23:59 <nickm> pfew!
17:24:00 <ahf> don't think we have ever had a first of the month meeting that only took 25 min
17:24:07 <ahf> do we have anything else we need to discuss?
17:24:13 <nickm> either we're efficient or distracted :)
17:24:24 <ahf> yeah :-P
17:24:52 * dgoulet is good
17:25:03 <gaba> :)
17:25:05 <ahf> let's get back to doing fun stuff folks!
17:25:07 <ahf> #endmeeting