19:08:46 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser Release meeting 8 June 2021
19:08:46 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jun  8 19:08:46 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:08:46 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
19:08:48 <sysrqb> o/
19:09:01 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep
19:09:07 <sysrqb> we have some items on the pad
19:09:29 <antonela> alo
19:09:29 <sysrqb> i added a few (the last-minute additions for 10.5)
19:09:40 <sysrqb> but i don't think they need discussion
19:09:48 <sysrqb> antonela: do you want to start with your items?
19:09:58 <antonela> oh yes
19:10:01 <antonela> first
19:10:20 <antonela> could we update the release dates? when is the alpha coming?
19:10:46 <sysrqb> 10.5a16? today, but maybe tomorrow.
19:10:53 <sysrqb> i have slow internet right now
19:10:57 <antonela> oh good to know
19:11:00 <sysrqb> so it is taking longer than expected.
19:11:52 <antonela> okey, just a note that we've been planning a blogpost serie with comms about this release
19:12:00 <antonela> i put some tentative dates in the pad
19:12:16 <antonela> i've been drafting some of it, i hope finishing my stuff this week so comms can review
19:12:44 <antonela> basically we aim to highlight the core features we are going to release: snowflake, connect to tor and well v2 warnings
19:13:01 <sysrqb> sounds great
19:13:32 <cohosh> i started the snowflake draft and i'll send an email with a link to comms and dunquan when i'm done
19:13:43 <antonela> amazing! thanks cohosh
19:14:03 <cohosh> (+ whoever else wants to read it before)
19:14:28 <sysrqb> nice
19:14:56 <sysrqb> antonela: should we plan a https://www.torproject.org/releases/tor-browser-10-5/ page?
19:15:20 <antonela> yes, i was thinking on updating it when the blogpost was ready
19:15:33 <sysrqb> i don't think we should update the in-browser Onboarding now
19:15:39 <sysrqb> but we can change the link to the web page
19:15:45 <sysrqb> okay, that sounds good to me
19:15:46 <antonela> sounds good
19:17:03 <sysrqb> this all sounds good to me
19:17:05 <antonela> this is all on my side, if im missing anything please let me know
19:17:19 <sysrqb> thank you antonela !
19:17:40 <sysrqb> anyone want to discuss this or bring another topic?
19:18:39 <sysrqb> oh, cohosh, i saw you were working on updating snowflake
19:18:47 <cohosh> yup!
19:18:50 <sysrqb> do you think that's the last piece before the release?
19:19:04 <sysrqb> or do you expect some omre changes in the next week?
19:19:08 <sysrqb> *more
19:19:26 <cohosh> hmm, we have more client-side changes we *could* merge into the release
19:19:30 <cohosh> but we don't necessarily have to
19:19:51 <sysrqb> okay, i'd be happy with backporting them in July, if you're okay with delaying some last-minute changes
19:20:22 <cohosh> yup sounds good
19:20:34 <cohosh> can the existing MR be merged or is that too late?
19:20:38 <sysrqb> i'd prefer not cramming too many changes at the last minute
19:20:47 <sysrqb> not too late for this one
19:20:56 <cohosh> okay great :)
19:20:59 <sysrqb> we can still take it this week or early next week
19:21:05 <sysrqb> but after that it gets pretty risky
19:22:15 <sysrqb> (in that it probably won't get any testing before we release 10.5)
19:22:15 <cohosh> cool, i don't have anything urgent after this MR
19:22:38 <sysrqb> okay, sounds good
19:23:10 <sysrqb> alright. anything else for this meeting?
19:23:11 <pospeselr> sysrqb: is there anything blocking the v2 warning patch on your end?
19:23:37 <sysrqb> pospeselr: no, just me reviewing it
19:23:48 <sysrqb> and that should happen today
19:23:53 <pospeselr> ok sounds good
19:24:10 <antonela> will it make it to tba also?
19:24:21 <antonela> what is tba situation in all this?
19:24:43 * ggus reads the backlog
19:24:46 <sysrqb> i need to work on it
19:24:47 <pospeselr> that is a good question i don't know the answer to
19:24:58 <antonela> ok
19:25:18 <sysrqb> i hope i'll have time tomorrow for working on v2 warning on Android
19:25:59 <sysrqb> and I don't think Android won't have quick-start
19:26:15 <sysrqb> *and I don't think Android will have quick-start
19:26:20 <pospeselr> that requires a re-implementation on android right?
19:26:26 <sysrqb> yes
19:26:31 <pospeselr> blech
19:26:54 <sysrqb> and i started implementing it last year, but there are too many edge cases right now
19:26:58 <antonela> by v2 warning we are talking about the about:tor message, right?
19:27:22 <sysrqb> antonela: no, about:tor in done.
19:27:34 <sysrqb> i was talking about the warning page when you visit a v2 page
19:27:41 <antonela> oh
19:27:43 <antonela> great
19:27:45 <sysrqb> should i not do that?
19:28:30 <sysrqb> i don't know how much time it will take, but I wanted to look at it and try
19:28:33 <ggus> sysrqb: where can i see the tor browser without tor launcher? in the next alpha? ref: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/27476
19:28:56 <sysrqb> ggus: yes, i'm finishing that release now
19:29:04 <ggus> oka!
19:29:06 <sysrqb> so, i hope it will be published tonight, or tomorrow morning
19:29:11 <antonela> well we dont have url bar indicators in android but a parity is good
19:29:12 <pospeselr> oh boy
19:29:25 <sysrqb> pos ?
19:29:29 <sysrqb> pospeselr: ?
19:29:42 <sysrqb> oh, ggus playing with it?
19:29:57 <pospeselr> yeha exciting
19:30:00 <sysrqb> heh
19:30:01 <pospeselr> yeah*, no yee-ha
19:30:13 <sysrqb> ha.
19:30:25 <ggus> pospeselr: haha we will need to update tb-manual, support portal and training slides. yay!
19:30:37 <pospeselr> YES
19:31:01 <sysrqb> antonela: hrmmm. okay, i'll ping you after I start looking at the Android v2 warning
19:31:18 <antonela> kk
19:32:17 <sysrqb> anything else we should discuss or questions?
19:33:00 <sysrqb> okay, thanks everyone! 10.5 is exciting.
19:33:05 <cohosh> :D
19:33:05 <sysrqb> #endmeeting