15:00:14 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 14 June 2021
15:00:14 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Jun 14 15:00:14 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:14 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:16 <boklm> o/
15:00:23 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:00:24 <antonela> o/
15:00:34 <dunqan> o/
15:02:13 <GeKo> hi
15:04:43 <sysrqb> alright. we have another round of releases this week
15:05:09 <sysrqb> tor security releases are the driver
15:06:14 <sysrqb> I'm planning on tagging desktop stable tonight
15:06:24 <sysrqb> and android tomorrow
15:07:14 <sysrqb> alpha will come on wednesday, after we land a few more changes
15:07:29 <sysrqb> that need testing before we release 10.5 in two weeks
15:07:44 <sysrqb> *alpha tag will come on wednesday
15:11:32 <pospeselr> o/
15:12:01 <sysrqb> pospeselr: hi. good timing
15:12:15 <pospeselr> heyo
15:12:33 <sysrqb> can I put this on your plate? torbutton#40027 ?
15:12:48 <pospeselr> gonna go ahead and say yes w/o evne looking at it
15:12:51 <sysrqb> i've had it on my TODO list for some weeks, but it keeps slipping
15:13:00 <sysrqb> great :)
15:13:26 <pospeselr> i'll prioritize this and continue fixing the various torconnect bugs/corner cases
15:13:48 <pospeselr> what's the tldr regarding tor security release?
15:14:16 <sysrqb> it's not too complicated, but it mostly needs testing and a closer code review
15:14:25 <sysrqb> i already looked at it, and it looks "fine"
15:14:41 <pospeselr> ominous scare quotes
15:14:43 <sysrqb> but without acat around, I don't want to land a change like this without someone on the team really understanding it
15:14:54 <sysrqb> heh. no, not that ominous...i hope
15:15:09 <pospeselr> alright i'll see what I can do
15:15:17 <sysrqb> thanks
15:15:39 <sysrqb> it's not a must-do-this-week review
15:15:47 <sysrqb> but we need it this month
15:16:03 <pospeselr> end-of-month or within 30 days this mornth
15:16:13 <sysrqb> so please just find some time for it over the next couple weeks
15:16:24 <pospeselr> oke got it
15:16:30 <sysrqb> let's say end-of-month-ish
15:16:51 <sysrqb> but anything going into 10.5 has higher priority
15:16:59 <sysrqb> until that's released
15:19:21 <sysrqb> pospeselr: just fyi, you don't need to add "Needs Review" labels on issues when you open a MR
15:20:29 <pospeselr> ah ok, thought it would help the kanban boards
15:20:35 <sysrqb> and we decided we don't need torbutton#40028 anymore, right?
15:21:07 <pospeselr> so if i recall correctly that issue got rolled into torconnect
15:21:14 <pospeselr> into the torbutton torconnect patch
15:21:20 <sysrqb> that's what i remember, too
15:21:24 <sysrqb> okay, i'll close it
15:21:24 <GeKo> pospeselr: i am scared by moving this to async in the sense that we should be sure there are no proxy bypass issues
15:21:25 <pospeselr> so no it's fixed/done/gone
15:21:28 <GeKo> we introduce
15:21:50 <GeKo> (re #40027)
15:22:17 <GeKo> and possible race conditions we introduce for new identity
15:22:55 <GeKo> so, we should some testing of the final code to rule that out :)
15:23:15 <pospeselr> hm ok, good to know
15:23:47 <GeKo> i had some nits when starting to review the code iirc
15:23:57 <GeKo> but i won't bother you with those :)
15:24:12 <pospeselr> if they're important I'm sure i'll see them as well  ;)
15:24:24 <GeKo> that's what i thought :p
15:24:48 <GeKo> s/should some/should do some/
15:27:54 <sysrqb> okay, the last few issues are Android tickets that I should triage
15:28:27 <sysrqb> pospeselr: regarding using the Needs Review labels for organizing the boards
15:28:38 <sysrqb> i do see some benefit in that
15:28:52 <sysrqb> the reason we aren't using that right now
15:29:15 <sysrqb> is because we thought it was an additional burden to keep the issue's labels in sync with the MR
15:29:39 <sysrqb> and we didn't want to make using MRs more dificult/complicated than necessary
15:30:01 <pospeselr> sounds good to me
15:30:07 <sysrqb> but i'm open to discussing that and changing our processes here
15:30:28 <pospeselr> i'm honestly mostly flailing when it comes to gitlab
15:30:45 <sysrqb> "Needs Review" is more descriptive than "Doing + open MR"
15:30:56 <pospeselr> ideally i'd like to minimize the bookkeeping on my end enough to make PMs happy
15:31:04 <pospeselr> but you know
15:31:12 <sysrqb> yeah
15:31:38 <sysrqb> it should make our lives earlier too, such that we know what we are working on and what we should work on next
15:32:03 <sysrqb> so we should find a balance that makes sense
15:34:07 <sysrqb> oh, and the tl;dr on the tor security releases is that they are coming out later today (most likely)
15:34:16 <sysrqb> and the details will become public around that time :)
15:34:34 <pospeselr> ah ok
15:36:12 <sysrqb> okay, i think that's everythign for this meeting.
15:36:26 <sysrqb> thanks everyone
15:36:32 <sysrqb> #endmeeting