15:59:57 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser release meeting 29 July 2021
15:59:57 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jun 29 15:59:57 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:59:57 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:13 <donuts> o/.
16:00:38 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep
16:01:24 <gaba> hi!
16:04:21 <gaba> do we need to update the schedule for future releases
16:04:26 <gaba> now that the 10.5 got moved 1 week?
16:05:30 <sysrqb> no, the other dates should remain the same
16:05:53 <gaba> ok
16:05:54 <sysrqb> except we'll probably move the next Android-only release date
16:06:09 <donuts> great
16:06:09 <sysrqb> that's on this Friday, so we probably won't make that
16:06:17 <donuts> makes sense
16:08:06 <donuts> is there a release post for 10.5a17?
16:08:25 <sysrqb> https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-105a17
16:08:48 <donuts> aha, I didn't scroll down far enough
16:08:49 <donuts> ty
16:09:07 <sysrqb> oh, i should tick that box
16:10:18 <sysrqb> hrm. where is that bookmarks ticket
16:12:15 <gaba> you are including the bookmarks MR in 10.5?
16:12:38 <sysrqb> yes, i'm considering it. it's small enough that we can include it
16:12:45 <gaba> yes
16:13:02 <ggus> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/merge_requests/305
16:13:27 <sysrqb> thanks gus[m]
16:13:30 <sysrqb> ggus
16:13:36 <gaba> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/32228
16:14:26 <donuts> ahhh fantastic
16:14:33 <donuts> that would be great
16:16:25 <sysrqb> duncan[m]: you have tor-browser#40429 on your plate this week?
16:17:00 <sysrqb> i'm only planning on updating the url, and not refreshing the whole onboarding experience, at this point
16:17:45 <sysrqb> and ideally the page will exist before i change the url in the browser :)
16:19:49 <donuts> yess, let's add a due date here
16:20:01 <donuts> remind me how this works again?
16:20:15 <gaba> are you ok if I mark all the tickets in the 10.5 milestone with the label 'TB-10.5-could' AND then we leave in 10.5 milestone ONLY the tickets that are really going to go into the 10.5 stable release?
16:20:24 <gaba> oops, sorry to jump into other thing.
16:20:38 <donuts> oh nvm I get what you mean but "updating the url"
16:21:01 <donuts> okay you need direction in this ticket asap, essentially
16:21:37 <sysrqb> yes, i mean, i'm assuming we'll jsut use https://www.torproject.org/releases/tor-browser-10-5/
16:21:57 <sysrqb> but if you're planning something different, then that'll be good to know
16:22:18 <donuts> yep, let me do a quick review but I'll keep it light
16:23:05 <sysrqb> gaba: hrm. some will move into milestone 11.0, and some are TB-10.5-could
16:23:26 <sysrqb> we probably won't backport many changes from 11.0 to 10.5 over the next couple months
16:24:04 <sysrqb> but i can triage the issues and delete the TB-10.5-could label where it is not likely
16:24:07 <gaba> so you are saying we need in 10.5 the tickets that are going to be moved into 11?
16:24:22 <gaba> how do you know what is going to be included or not?
16:25:22 <sysrqb> it depends
16:26:03 <sysrqb> for example, tor-browser#40429 will be in 10.5, so we don't really need the TB-10.5-could label
16:26:37 <sysrqb> but ux/research#19 will be in 11.0, and we won't backport that to 10.5
16:27:26 <gaba> ok
16:27:38 <donuts> right
16:27:47 <sysrqb> and wnything related to the ESR transition will  be in 11.0, and not 10.5
16:27:50 <sysrqb> *anything
16:27:59 <donuts> so most things will end up going into 11, pretty much?
16:28:29 <sysrqb> so i'll need to go through them and re-assign based on priority and where we are doing that work
16:28:52 <sysrqb> donuts: yeah, most, except anything that we're squeezing in this last week
16:29:06 <donuts> gotcha
16:29:15 <sysrqb> and anything that we know we want to backport from 11.0 to 10.5 within the next ~2 months
16:29:34 <sysrqb> so, it's subjective
16:30:59 <gaba> I would guess anything in this list is priority https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&state=opened&milestone_title=Tor%20Browser%3A%2010.5&label_name[]=Next
16:31:18 <gaba> it would be good to have a clear idea of what needs to go into next release so other people can work on that list
16:32:18 <sysrqb> we can make that list more useful
16:32:30 <sysrqb> it has some wishlist-items now, too
16:32:41 <sysrqb> like tor-launcher#34343
16:32:55 <sysrqb> that is not a Next issue
16:33:00 <donuts> question, what's the significance of the _could_ label
16:33:04 <donuts> were these 10.5 nice to haves?
16:33:07 <gaba> ok. there is 1 week until release. it would makes sense not to include anything in the wishlist
16:33:47 <gaba> we can move that #34343 into 11.0 if it goes into next one and backlog
16:33:52 <sysrqb> donuts: yes, they are nice-to-haves. let's call them aspirational issues
16:34:03 <donuts> right right
16:34:53 <gaba> it would be good to have any aspirational issue in the 'could' labels and have the milestone only for the 'must be'
16:34:56 <sysrqb> gaba: yeah, most of those issues will move to 11.0
16:35:35 <sysrqb> i think applications/tor-browser#40429 is the only issue that will go into 10.5
16:36:15 <gaba> ggus: there is some stuff in that list that is on your plate, right? (https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&state=opened&milestone_title=Tor%20Browser%3A%2010.5&label_name[]=Next)
16:36:19 <gaba> documetnation related
16:36:28 <gaba> mm
16:36:28 <gaba> ok
16:36:42 <donuts> yep, so onboarding + bookmarks + misc bug fixes
16:36:44 <sysrqb> yeah, i don't know when those will be completed
16:36:57 <sysrqb> maybe a docs hackathon, or maybe ggus has some time
16:37:01 <sysrqb> (ha)
16:37:11 <sysrqb> donuts: yeah, basically
16:37:22 <gaba> there will be a docs hackaton in august
16:37:28 <gaba> we should prioritize those if needed
16:37:33 <ggus> yes, the documentation is on my plate
16:38:12 <donuts> we probably shouldn't do any more even if we had the time, unless we were planning on another alpha
16:38:18 <donuts> (which we're not)
16:38:23 <sysrqb> yep
16:38:49 <sysrqb> we'll begin building on Thursday
16:38:58 <gaba> ok. sysrqb: can i remove everything and leave that milestone in 10.5? I can go over the tickets and move to 11. We can look at it after during the triage session on friday
16:39:13 <sysrqb> so that gives us ~1.5 days to finish all the finawfinal changes and test it
16:39:57 <gaba> living on the edge :)
16:40:00 <sysrqb> gaba: ah, yes, that's okay
16:40:02 <donuts> ha
16:40:04 <gaba> ok
16:40:16 <donuts> sounds like a plan
16:41:58 <gaba> yep
16:42:07 <sysrqb> okay, anythig else for this meeting?
16:43:02 * sysrqb hears nothing
16:43:05 <gaba> everything from me
16:43:13 <donuts> I'm assuming the /releases/ post is normally an antonela (now a duncan) thing yep?
16:43:19 <donuts> i.e. I can go ahead and set it up?
16:43:20 <sysrqb> yes
16:43:23 <donuts> cool ty
16:43:29 <sysrqb> i'm happy to help you with it
16:43:41 <donuts> ta, will shout if I run into any issues :)
16:43:43 <sysrqb> but that was an antonela-task previously
16:43:50 <donuts> I'm sure it'll be fine though
16:43:54 <donuts> okay otherwise I'm good!
16:43:59 <sysrqb> yeah, not too difficult
16:44:16 <sysrqb> great
16:44:22 <sysrqb> thanks everyone!
16:44:27 <sysrqb> #endmeeting