15:01:30 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 12 July 2021
15:01:30 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Jul 12 15:01:30 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:01:30 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:01:37 <sysrqb> Alright
15:01:47 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:03:00 * donuts is here but on a call simultaneously :)
15:03:15 <sysrqb> uh oh. double-booked.
15:03:55 <richard> :)
15:07:35 <sysrqb> Okay. Let's get started
15:07:55 <sysrqb> Please update Boards, if needed
15:08:40 <sysrqb> 11.0a1 (Android only) will be published after this meeting
15:09:15 <sysrqb> 10.5.2 (windows, macOS, Linux) is partially signed already, and it will be published tomorrow
15:09:46 <sysrqb> I'll start preparing 11.0a2 today
15:11:23 <sysrqb> I would like to publish 10.5.3 on Friday for Android, updating to Fenix 90
15:11:39 <sysrqb> so I'm planning on preparing that on Thursday
15:12:48 <donuts> that's a lot of releases!
15:12:59 <sysrqb> #TorBrowserLife
15:13:17 <richard> F
15:13:51 <sysrqb> We're doing okay
15:14:20 <sysrqb> It is a balancing act.
15:15:04 <sysrqb> richard: i was going to give you some closed Fx90 tickets to review, but at this point I only have ~100 left
15:15:18 <sysrqb> so i'll just finish them
15:15:24 <richard> i'd be happy to take them off your hands if you're eyes are bleeding
15:15:39 <sysrqb> i let my eyes rest over the weekemd
15:15:43 <sysrqb> *weekend
15:16:25 <sysrqb> oh, I forgot to say, congrats everyone on Tor Browser 10.5!
15:16:35 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos concurs
15:16:39 <donuts> \o/
15:16:43 <donuts> well done team!
15:16:45 <sysrqb> The release was not the smoothest, but it wasn't the worst either
15:17:07 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos is impressed by the new UX improvements for initial bootstrap
15:17:10 <sysrqb> all things considered, we're doingpretty good
15:17:22 <ggus> hey, i'm just passing by to say that kulsoom_z[m] and i have updated tor browser manual content (text and screenshots). we still need to remove tor launcher from support.tpo, but we will do this week.
15:17:51 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> I mean, it took me a while to notice them since I mostly use Whonix, but still awesome work
15:18:11 <donuts> tyvm ggus!
15:18:19 <sysrqb> thanks ggus !
15:18:46 <donuts> sysrqb: will 10.5.3 for Android include Snowflake?
15:18:54 <sysrqb> yes :) :(
15:19:12 <sysrqb> i'm disappointed we missed that during QA
15:19:27 <richard> feels like the future ^^;
15:20:18 <donuts> great :)
15:21:43 <emmapeel> what about translations? do we still need to translate https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-launcher.git/plain/src/chrome/locale/en-US/network-settings.dtd and https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-launcher.git/plain/src/chrome/locale/en-US/torlauncher.properties ?
15:21:58 <sysrqb> emmapeel: hi!
15:22:26 <emmapeel> hi there! congrats on the new interface, is neat!
15:22:49 <sysrqb> I want to say yes, because Tor Launcher is still used by other projects (like Tails)
15:23:20 <sysrqb> but that means we need to continue releasing new versions of Tor launcher
15:23:38 <emmapeel> oh, duh! yeah i remember something about disabling the new thingy on Tails, now that you mention it
15:23:44 <sysrqb> and I probably will forgot about that, unless someone asks me for a new version with updated localization
15:24:11 <emmapeel> i see.
15:24:44 <sysrqb> i don't expect new strings will be added in those files
15:25:18 <sysrqb> so maybe locking those files is safe
15:27:01 <sysrqb> emmapeel: does that seem okay to you?
15:27:35 <emmapeel> hmmmpf
15:27:52 <emmapeel> not sure. maybe some new language wants to translate them then. i will lower their priority
15:28:26 <sysrqb> oh, maybe that's not true.
15:28:36 <sysrqb> we are using the tor launcher strings in the new UI, too
15:28:36 <emmapeel> i wonder how can i confirm when they are not needed anymore apart from in Tails. are there any other projects using Tor Launcher?
15:29:05 <sysrqb> i don't know of other projects using Tor Launcher
15:29:30 <emmapeel> but are they on those files, or they moved to other file in the tor Browser repo? because those are on the tor-launcher repo
15:29:45 <sysrqb> yeah, we are using those same files
15:29:57 <richard> maybe we should put out an ask in the next release blog post (hey is anyone using this?)
15:29:59 <sysrqb> so we shouldn't remove them :)
15:30:21 <richard> if a mysterious project isn't updating then changing/removing wouldn't hurt them
15:30:23 <sysrqb> richard: i remembered we put the new torconnect string in the torlauncher files
15:30:53 <richard> yes
15:31:11 <sysrqb> so we still want those localized
15:31:36 <richard> ah yes
15:32:12 <sysrqb> emmapeel: so, taking two steps backward, we do want to continue receiving translations for those files
15:32:25 <emmapeel> nothing to do then, perfect!
15:32:29 <sysrqb> yep :)
15:32:43 <sysrqb> thanks
15:33:14 <emmapeel> thanks to you
15:35:35 <sysrqb> the topic I wanted to mention is that we're starting on Fx91 this week
15:36:22 <sysrqb> boklm: i would prioritise the android toolchain updates over the Linux build
15:36:42 <sysrqb> but I hope the android updates will be simple, and they won't take too much time
15:36:46 <boklm> ok, I will do that this week
15:36:53 <sysrqb> thanks!
15:37:27 <sysrqb> i hope getting android builds back on schedule will reduce some stress and pressure
15:37:37 <sysrqb> and that'll allow us to concentrate on the 91esr transition
15:38:46 <sysrqb> boklm: i'll ping you at the end of the week
15:39:02 <sysrqb> and we can discuss if I can pick up any toolchain work next week
15:39:11 <boklm> ok
15:39:16 <sysrqb> or if we wait until you come back
15:39:55 <boklm> maybe I'll be able to finish it this week (if there is no important issue)
15:40:19 <sysrqb> yeah
15:40:45 <sysrqb> i'm including the Linux toolchain, too
15:41:48 <boklm> ah yes
15:43:21 <sysrqb> Okay, that's everything I have for this meeting, and I don't see any other discussion topics
15:43:25 <donuts> one last thing – I've opened tor-browser#40523 to review the V2 deprecation warning copy, if we could sneak that in somewhere once I've had the chance to do so :)
15:43:30 <sysrqb> thanks everyone, and have a good wee.......
15:43:46 <donuts> woops :)
15:43:50 <sysrqb> donuts: okay, i'll look at that today
15:43:56 <sysrqb> thanks!
15:43:59 <donuts> no prob, I need to review the copy first anyway
15:44:00 <donuts> thanks!
15:44:29 <sysrqb> sounds good :)
15:44:42 <sysrqb> have a good week, everyone
15:44:45 <sysrqb> #endmeeting