16:00:05 <cohosh> #startmeeting anti-censorship meeting
16:00:05 <MeetBot> Meeting started Thu Jul 15 16:00:05 2021 UTC.  The chair is cohosh. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:05 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:15 <cohosh> welcome!
16:00:31 <cohosh> here is our meeting pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-keep
16:00:48 <cohosh> feel free to add discussion items and update us on what you've been up to!
16:01:01 <maxbee> 👋
16:01:22 <cohosh> maxbee: hey! nice to see you around!
16:02:39 <maxbee> thanks! I fiiiinally made some progress on the nat-testing stuff, which felt good :)
16:02:59 <cohosh> nice \o/ thanks for working on that
16:03:29 <maxbee> np - sorry it's been so slow
16:03:41 <cohosh> okay first item on the agenda is the announcement is, i think from last week
16:03:57 * cohosh struggles with time
16:04:40 <cohosh> yes it was
16:04:49 <cohosh> but now we have some more usage metrics
16:05:36 <cohosh> (maxbee: oh no worries, doesn't seem slow to me at all 8) )
16:05:55 <cohosh> i made a discussion item to talk about the usage metrics a bit
16:06:37 <cohosh> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-transport.html?start=2021-07-01&end=2021-07-15&transport=snowflake
16:07:10 <cohosh> i was very excited when we got more than 1000 users, but then it dropped back down pretty quickly
16:07:37 <cohosh> it's still almost 2x the usage we had before, but i'm wondering why the drop
16:07:46 <meskio> maybe was people testing snowflake because of the release, but they don't really need it
16:07:55 <cohosh> yeah that's a possibility
16:08:08 <dcf1> seems like the bridge is handling the added load fine
16:08:23 <cohosh> we are still keeping in with the "soft start" idea and ggus and the community team aren't pushing for snowflake yet
16:08:34 <meskio> is the spicke gloably distributed or centered on certain contries?
16:09:04 <cohosh> meskio: good question, we don't have an easy metrics interface to see that but we can check the extra info docs
16:10:08 <meskio> we might be able to see there if is just a loose of hipe (and is globaly distributed) or there is some censoring event there (and is localize somewhere)
16:10:43 <dcf1> /var/lib/tor/stats/bridge-stats on the bridge has the day's extra-info information, which includes country codes
16:10:51 <dcf1> bridge-stats-end 2021-07-14 17:36:29 (86400 s)
16:10:54 <dcf1> bridge-ips us=552,ru=456,by=336,cn=216,ir=168,de=144,gb=120,in=88,fr=80,br=72,it=64,ca=48,dz=48,tr=48,nl=40,at=32,...
16:11:14 <dcf1> For older records you can download extra-info documents from Tor Metrics, as cohosh says
16:11:56 <dcf1> ru, by, cn, ir are all well-known censoring countries
16:12:02 <cohosh> nice
16:12:32 <cohosh> i think my biggest concern at this point is the performance in countries that are georgraphically far
16:12:51 <cohosh> but perhaps the smux/kcp parameter tuning will help with that :)
16:13:36 <cohosh> i was glad to see no issues with the broker or bridge
16:14:16 <cohosh> *geographically far from the snowflake bridge
16:17:08 <cohosh> oh i almost forgot to add another important announcement: we just posted another job opening for the anti-censorship team
16:17:13 <cohosh> https://www.torproject.org/about/jobs/software-developer-anticensorship-2/
16:18:00 <maxbee> 🎉 congrats!
16:18:38 <cohosh> \o/
16:18:47 <cohosh> there are quite a few job openings at the moment: https://www.torproject.org/about/jobs/
16:20:03 <agix> hi
16:20:07 <cohosh> that's all that's on the agenda for discussion today
16:20:12 <cohosh> agix: hey!
16:20:44 <cohosh> anyone have more discussion items they'd like to bring up or something they need help with?
16:21:45 <agix> hey cohosh (still didn't fix the irc delay issue ^^)
16:21:58 <cohosh> heh i was wondering about that
16:25:08 * cohosh waits another minute before ending the meeting
16:26:45 <cohosh> #endmeeting