15:00:09 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 19 July 2021
15:00:09 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Jul 19 15:00:09 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:09 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:12 <sysrqb> o/
15:00:19 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:02:15 <richard> o/
15:02:27 <sysrqb> o/
15:03:30 <donuts> o/
15:05:23 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> hello!
15:09:05 <sysrqb> Alright. Please remember to update your Boards, when/if appropriate: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/boards
15:09:37 <sysrqb> I hope you all had a nice week and weekend
15:09:57 <sysrqb> I'm happy I don't work on iMessage right now
15:10:12 <richard> ?
15:10:56 <sysrqb> big story about a vulnerability - we can talk about it after the meeting :)
15:11:42 <donuts> yesss, I saw that
15:11:59 <sysrqb> In Tor Browser news, I'm finishing signing/uploading 10.5.3 and 11.0a2
15:12:10 <sysrqb> both of those should be published tonight
15:12:54 <sysrqb> richard, i think it's time we start concerntrating more on esr91 stuff
15:13:04 <sysrqb> i'll review your torconnect refactor this week
15:13:20 <richard> mk
15:13:32 <sysrqb> but we should probably start priortizing the transition now
15:14:05 <richard> wfm
15:14:41 <sysrqb> boklm gave me a branch for building Fx91 on Linux, so we may be able to start looking at breakage this week
15:14:51 <sysrqb> both functionality and UI/UX
15:14:53 <richard> ooh fun
15:15:16 <sysrqb> it is
15:15:46 <donuts> oh, fantastic
15:16:06 <sysrqb> donuts: one thought I have is that if we have enough time, we may want to look at Fx's new onboarding experience
15:16:28 <sysrqb> we've been carrying their old onboarding for ~2 years now
15:16:28 <richard> if we have a 'working' build I can start going through the areas I'm familiar with and filing UX (and functionality) bugs
15:16:37 <sysrqb> so if we can move onto their new one, that would be nice
15:16:43 <donuts> sysrqb: yes, absolutely
15:16:52 <donuts> antonela and I briefly chatted about this about a month ago
15:16:54 <sysrqb> i don't know that we'll actually have enough time
15:16:55 <donuts> I've very much on board
15:17:01 <sysrqb> great
15:17:04 <donuts> *I'm
15:17:29 <richard> was that a pun
15:17:51 <donuts> i'm ashamed to say no
15:18:02 <richard> :)
15:19:54 <sysrqb> richard: hrm. maybe tor-browser-build!319
15:20:11 <sysrqb> i'll poke at that and see if we can get a working Linux Firefox from it
15:20:37 <richard> ok let me know I guess
15:20:43 <sysrqb> it may take some encouragement
15:20:50 <sysrqb> will do
15:21:05 <richard> you can do it mach! come on, that's it
15:21:09 <richard> anyway
15:21:21 <sysrqb> the little mach that could.
15:21:56 <sysrqb> in other news, i created https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/wikis/Quality-Assurance
15:22:07 <sysrqb> it needs some more updating
15:22:17 <richard> ooh beautiful
15:22:30 <sysrqb> and i have some ideas for tooling that can help us a bit
15:22:33 <sysrqb> but, it's a start
15:22:59 <sysrqb> i kinda hate the idea of manually testing all of that
15:23:10 <sysrqb> it's tedious
15:23:27 <sysrqb> but i'm hoping we can slowly improve it, and that's only a starting point
15:23:51 <sysrqb> but we should update it whenever we add a new feature/functionality that we should make sure we don't break in the future
15:24:28 <sysrqb> i debated adding something about testing Tor Browser in non-PBM
15:24:47 <sysrqb> but i think we should work up to that - we're not really ready for that yet
15:25:54 <sysrqb> with that said, please add/improve anything that should be on that
15:26:01 <sysrqb> *that
15:27:20 <sysrqb> in particular, something like "Remanence checks" needs work
15:27:42 <sysrqb> if we're going to include that, then we should give explicit instructions for it
15:27:56 <sysrqb> but, work-in-progress
15:28:13 <richard> sorry, what is 'Remanence' ?
15:28:43 <sysrqb> described as :"Tor Browser writes to disk as anticipated"
15:28:53 <sysrqb> maybe "rememberance"?
15:29:08 <sysrqb> (is that a word?)
15:29:29 <richard> so ensuring we don't write to disk?
15:29:42 <sysrqb> that was my understanding
15:30:14 <sysrqb> "remembrance"
15:30:24 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> sysrqb, to me the more natural phrasing would be "disk persistence", but feel free to ignore my linguistic opinions :)
15:30:44 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: that is generally what is used in other docs
15:31:06 <sysrqb> so i don't know why this instance is different, assuming i'm not misunderstanding the intention of that check
15:31:31 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos is horrified that his linguistic opinions are mainstream
15:31:53 <sysrqb> i don't know if i'd consider the Tor Browser design doc as "mainstream" :)
15:32:15 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> fair :)
15:32:53 <sysrqb> in any case, feel free to update that QA page
15:34:19 <sysrqb> that seems to be everything for this meeting
15:34:26 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> seems like one thing that might benefit from specific QA testing are the TOR_* env vars.
15:34:48 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: yes, definitely
15:35:05 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> IIRC the Transproxy var broke completely and no one noticed for many releases
15:35:07 <sysrqb> that crossed by mind, too, but obviously i didn't add it
15:35:19 <sysrqb> thanks for thinking of it
15:36:48 <sysrqb> have a good week, everyone o/
15:36:53 <sysrqb> #endmeeting