15:00:56 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 2 Aug 2021
15:00:56 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Aug  2 15:00:56 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:56 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:01:17 <boklm> hi!
15:01:24 <sysrqb> o/
15:01:53 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:02:51 <donuts> yo!
15:04:33 <richard> o/
15:05:30 <sysrqb> brb.
15:09:52 <sysrqb> alright
15:09:57 <sysrqb> Please update your Boards, if needed
15:10:49 <sysrqb> tor-browser#29590
15:10:54 <sysrqb> ah.
15:11:38 <sysrqb> okay, i'll review tor-browser-build!325 today
15:12:17 <sysrqb> and hopefully we get a Nightly build with that tonight, and then we build 11.0a3 tomorrow
15:12:49 * sysrqb waits for donuts to finish writing their discussion item
15:12:58 <donuts> oops sorry
15:13:00 <sysrqb> ah. yes.
15:13:18 <donuts> done :)
15:13:19 <boklm> this also depends on android-components!69 and fenix!134
15:13:43 <sysrqb> boklm: ack. i'll review those, too
15:13:47 <sysrqb> thanks
15:14:33 <sysrqb> donuts: yes, my plan is that we'll drop the banner on Android in 11.0a3 (this week)
15:14:53 <sysrqb> and then we'll drop it everywhere else next week
15:15:11 <donuts> ayarqb: ah tyvm! sounds good
15:15:24 <sysrqb> great
15:16:18 <donuts> related to this is the android banner bug
15:16:36 <donuts> which isn't as urgent, but will become a problem when we redeploy the banner to support the VPN research
15:16:49 <donuts> which very roughly will probably kick off towards the end of this month
15:16:57 <sysrqb> yeah, that's somewhere on our list
15:17:00 <sysrqb> ah, i see.
15:17:15 <sysrqb> hrm.
15:17:19 <donuts> we can obviously just not deploy the banner on android if it's still an issue by the time the research launches
15:17:22 <donuts> but it's missing a big audience
15:18:10 <donuts> even if we have a fix, it may be best to do an extended deployment on TBA alpha only just to make sure
15:18:14 <sysrqb> missing Android users seems a biut counter-productive :/
15:18:33 <donuts> yep, we have other ways to reach them but none quite so effectively
15:18:39 <sysrqb> yeah.
15:18:52 <sysrqb> okay, i have a patch that i think may fix it, but I haven't tested it yet
15:19:09 <donuts> okay sounds good, thanks sysrqb!
15:19:09 <sysrqb> so i'll work on it next week
15:19:14 <donuts> I wonder if we do a test banner on alpha
15:19:22 <donuts> like a "if this bug happens, here's a link to report it"
15:19:30 <sysrqb> and that should be ready by the end of the month
15:19:38 <sysrqb> we could
15:19:49 <donuts> but that could also be a firehose for any random feedback
15:19:50 <sysrqb> but not sure it's worth our time (?)
15:19:52 <donuts> yeah
15:20:00 <donuts> let's park that idea for now then
15:20:05 <sysrqb> okay
15:22:20 <sysrqb> richard: i'll put an MR on your plate for reviewing tor-browser#40545 this week
15:22:25 <sysrqb> it should be a clean revert
15:22:31 <richard> okey
15:22:59 <richard> out of curiosity, how are you doing the esr91 rebase?
15:23:07 <richard> like, is each patch in its own MR?
15:23:44 <sysrqb> no, all-in-one
15:24:05 <richard> oof ok, that's going to be fun to review
15:24:35 <sysrqb> for the two i asked you to do, if you can just create a MR with the patches on top of my branch: tor-browser!186
15:24:53 <sysrqb> i can review them and then cherry-pick them onto my branch
15:25:05 <sysrqb> the review should be easier than it seems
15:25:15 <richard> ah alright
15:25:24 <sysrqb> because we already rebased most of them for android
15:25:54 <sysrqb> but, i wanted to rebase the whole desktop branch, because we didn't carry all patches on the android branch when we rebased
15:26:04 <sysrqb> and we added new patches, like torconnect
15:26:49 <sysrqb> but when the rebasing is complete, we can range-diff the two branches and compare the relevant patches
15:27:12 <sysrqb> between the incremental android branch and the full desktop branch
15:27:55 <sysrqb> so the only difficulty will be reviewing the patches we didn't incrementally rebase over the last 10 months
15:28:12 <sysrqb> (in theory)
15:29:55 <sysrqb> okay, i think that's everything for this meeting, i'll wiat another minute in case anyone wants to add another discussion item
15:30:37 <donuts> very very roughly, when do you think we'll have something we can review the visual breakage?
15:30:47 <sysrqb> ideally, next week
15:30:53 <donuts> oh great, ty
15:31:19 <donuts> I've created a ticket for the design file update here, fyi: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/design/-/issues/26
15:32:13 <donuts> anything we can get in advance would be great (even if it's just an email address I can reach out to)
15:33:32 <sysrqb> ah, yeah, i'll get that
15:34:02 <donuts> thanks! :)
15:35:34 <sysrqb> i think that's a wrap.
15:35:42 <sysrqb> thanks everyone, have a good week
15:35:48 <sysrqb> #endmeeting