15:59:52 <ggus> #startmeeting Community Team meeting - August 06 2021
15:59:52 <MeetBot> Meeting started Fri Aug  6 15:59:52 2021 UTC.  The chair is ggus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:59:52 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:59:58 <ggus> hey all, community team meeting is starting now
16:00:09 <ggus> here's the meeting pad - https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-community-team-monthly-2021-keep
16:00:14 <kulsoom_z[m]> hey o/
16:00:21 <ggus> feel free to add other topics to the agenda
16:00:25 <emmapeel> o/
16:00:56 <ggus> I have some announcements for today
16:01:08 <championquizzer> hello o/
16:01:32 <ggus> 1. We have a new job open for user support - https://www.torproject.org/about/jobs/user-support-specialist/
16:01:36 <ggus> hi kulsoom_z[m] emmapeel championquizzer o/
16:02:42 <ggus> i'd recomend you championquizzer and kulsoom_z[m] to apply for this position, since it's part of the work you already did during the internship with Outreachy.
16:03:32 <championquizzer> thanks ggus!
16:03:35 <ggus> if something is not clear on the job post or if you want to chat about this, please ping me :)
16:03:36 <kulsoom_z[m]> ggus: thanks
16:05:33 <ggus> 2. at the end of this month we will have tor demo day, a fun event where you can share with the tor people what you have being working on. we already have some proposals (like 3 or 4) and we still have some slots
16:05:47 <ggus> if you want to present something, please check this email: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2021-July/003143.html
16:06:08 <ggus> i think emmapeel has another announcement too
16:06:29 <emmapeel> yes: i just wanted to let you know that we just published the Tor Browser Manual in Hungarian
16:06:42 <championquizzer> woo! awesome!
16:07:01 <emmapeel> thanks to the translators, that have already translated the browser, and will hopefully keep translating the rest of the pages
16:07:20 <emmapeel> (http://tb-manual.torproject.org/hu)
16:07:28 <ggus> thank you hu translators! <3
16:08:27 <kulsoom_z[m]> great news!
16:08:44 <ggus> and we also have the bugsmash campaign happening: https://blog.torproject.org/tors-bug-smash-fund-2021
16:09:15 <ggus> but it's about fundraising the project and not about the community solving the bugs.
16:10:13 <ggus> alright, that's all the announcements i had. i will move to the other topic
16:10:22 <ggus> >    * Documentation Hackathon 2021
16:10:37 <emmapeel> yay!
16:10:39 <ggus> it's happening! 2021 #docshackathon
16:11:10 <championquizzer> looking forward to this, for sure :)
16:11:11 <ggus> last year we did the docshackathon on March - https://blog.torproject.org/docshackathon-2020
16:11:39 <ggus> top 3 contributors got official tor swag
16:12:31 <ggus> we should look at the calendar for this month, and plan when we want to do this.
16:12:47 <ggus> emmapeel: thoughts?
16:12:55 <emmapeel> you mean, in August?
16:13:02 <ggus> yes
16:13:35 <emmapeel> hmm. we need at least some days to prepare, i think... maybe to the end of the month?
16:13:56 <ggus> yes, we need a blog post, some social media noise, and do ticket triage
16:14:43 <ggus> what do you think about August 30 - September 3?
16:15:05 <emmapeel> yes, sounds good, enough time to prepare it
16:15:48 <ggus> okay, i can write a draft for the blog post early next week
16:16:07 <emmapeel> i will help with the ticket triage
16:16:22 <ggus> yeah, i was about to ask you that
16:16:44 <emmapeel> "they used to call me picky, now i work in QA!"
16:16:56 <ggus> hahah!
16:17:31 <ggus> kulsoom_z[m]: championquizzer: feel free to open more issues
16:17:53 <ggus> and think about easy, medium and hard tasks
16:18:27 <kulsoom_z[m]> sure! :)
16:18:56 <emmapeel> maybe we should get a logo
16:19:22 <ggus> yeah
16:19:54 <ggus> i only know how to do clip art
16:20:15 <championquizzer> A few days back I was wondering it would be a good idea to document some of the flags which come with start-tor-browser.desktop, for e.g --register-app, etc. Might be a good fit for the docs hackathon :)
16:20:45 <emmapeel> good idea championquizzer
16:20:58 <ggus> linux people will be happy with you, championquizzer
16:21:15 <championquizzer> ha! linux people = me!
16:21:21 <ggus> haha yep
16:21:28 <ggus> in the last edition we didn't include community.tpo
16:21:36 <emmapeel> maybe some people even installs linux when they find out about the flags!
16:21:50 <ggus> i think this time we can include: support, tb-manual, and community.tpo
16:22:57 <emmapeel> also maybe think more glossary terms
16:23:05 <emmapeel> i mean, while doing the rest
16:23:13 <kulsoom_z[m]> +1
16:23:39 <ggus> i agree with more _tor_ glossary terms.
16:23:41 <kulsoom_z[m]> glossary is such a nice place to be as a newbie
16:23:58 <championquizzer> +1!
16:24:19 <ggus> adding generic terms like "search engine" is like recreating the wikipedia
16:24:41 <emmapeel> yeah, no recreation. more about the terms generated in the tor landscape
16:24:56 <ggus> but onion routing, tor browser, tor launcher, securedrop, onion names... this is our vocabulary.
16:25:08 <emmapeel> the tor project, after all, is a terms producer, not only a consumer
16:25:12 <kulsoom_z[m]> ggus: i agree, we should focus only on Tor ecosystem words
16:27:16 <ggus> okay, other thoughts about the docshackathon? emmapeel i saw your ticket about using the forum
16:27:33 <ggus> we can go #yolo or skip this idea.
16:28:22 <emmapeel> i think the forum is nice but i want people to lose fear of the bugtracker
16:28:30 <emmapeel> and help maintain it :D:D
16:29:05 <emmapeel> but maybe we can add stuff to the forum anyway
16:29:14 <ggus> right, let's do the classic docshackathon.
16:29:39 <emmapeel> i was thinking on maybe do a little workshop 'how to use git like a pro' with some tricks etc
16:29:56 <emmapeel> to prevent frustration of participants
16:30:08 <ggus> i have some email templates ready for the event. i just need to change the date, and remove the trac reference.
16:30:47 <ggus> do we want to use anonticket for this?
16:31:21 <emmapeel> we should be able to provide accounts quickly  to participants
16:31:35 <emmapeel> if we want them to use the bugtracker
16:31:45 <championquizzer> emmapeel: re workshop. this will be part of the hackathon or some day before the actual hackathon?
16:32:07 <emmapeel> championquizzer: it could be before
16:32:49 <ggus> we could do an official opening using BBB
16:32:57 <emmapeel> yeah!
16:33:09 <championquizzer> i see. nice idea! maybe a quick look into: how to use irc, how to work with lektor as well. just the basics that can get one started with contributing to the docs :)
16:33:40 <emmapeel> championquizzer: yeah, that sounds more pertinent actually
16:33:52 <ggus> that sounds a great idea!
16:35:11 <ggus> okay
16:35:25 <ggus> i added to the pad an agenda for the opening
16:36:37 <championquizzer> what is the limesurvey about? (i see it in the docs hackathon agenda)
16:37:03 <ggus> last time we did a registration form, so we could contact participants
16:37:17 <ggus> i think we should keep it
16:37:21 <championquizzer> ah, ok. right!
16:37:39 <championquizzer> same was with the l10n hackathon if i remember correctly
16:37:44 <ggus> yep!
16:38:44 <ggus> and are we going to use #tor-www for the hackathon?
16:39:12 <emmapeel> well, most of the documentation we are going to work on, is web, right?
16:39:35 <ggus> i think so, yes
16:40:47 <emmapeel> i think it is a nice place to have it. also the other www people will be aware of what is going on and maybe engage on the hackathon
16:42:48 <championquizzer> +1 since it's also bridged with matrix
16:43:33 <ggus> okay, so let's see: DocsHackathon: August 30 - September 3, we will use #tor-www and we will have a registration form. The an official opening will be on August 30 (using BBB). Anything else?
16:44:00 <emmapeel> nope
16:44:20 <emmapeel> well, there is the blogpost etc but is there on the notes
16:45:18 <ggus> cool!
16:45:28 <ggus> anything else regarding docshackathon?
16:46:42 <emmapeel> yes: we should have a look at the lektor docs and see if we can update them
16:47:05 <emmapeel> or if they need updates, for the new contributors
16:47:16 <ggus> hum! probably
16:48:05 <ggus> i think kez mentioned something regarding the lektor docs, but i don't remember right now what
16:48:31 <championquizzer> yes! one thing that kinda bothers me is how we tell the contributor to install lektor i.e curl | sh
16:48:43 <ggus> hah yeah!
16:48:50 <ggus> trust and run
16:49:27 <emmapeel> i opened this ticket a while ago as well, https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/team/-/issues/9
16:49:39 <ggus> but it's 2021, why aren't you using tails or qubes to install random web apps?
16:49:47 <emmapeel> it feels weird to update something and then you see it uotdated again!
16:52:45 <ggus> emmapeel: i don't know if the wiki replication thing is working
16:53:31 <ggus> one idea would be to disable all the web wikis, and have just one wiki repository
16:53:47 <emmapeel> i know that is not working, but i dont know why, or how to fix it
16:54:17 <emmapeel> i like that idea
16:54:41 <championquizzer> re. wiki replication thing. is it supposed to work how it works with the sysadmin team i.e. a mirror repo called 'wiki replica'?
16:55:14 <ggus> i don't think so, but i'm not very familiar with tpa wiki.
16:56:34 <championquizzer> i see (for context: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/wiki-replica)
16:57:54 <emmapeel> we need to find out. maybe when hiro is back we can ask her
16:58:02 <emmapeel> them
16:58:02 <ggus> i think it's different because they have one wiki and wiki-replica is to manage MRs
16:58:08 <ggus> hiro is back :)
16:58:14 <emmapeel> oh nice!
16:58:48 <ggus> we're almost at the hour. anything else for today?
16:58:57 <ggus> last wishes?
16:59:23 <emmapeel> have a nice weekend!
16:59:48 <ggus> #endmeeting