16:01:05 <GeKo> #startmeeting network-health 09/20
16:01:05 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Sep 20 16:01:05 2021 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:01:05 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:01:10 <GeKo> oookay
16:01:15 <GeKo> hello everyone
16:01:19 <ggus> hello
16:01:28 <GeKo> there is a meeting pad over at http://kfahv6wfkbezjyg4r6mlhpmieydbebr5vkok5r34ya464gqz6c44bnyd.onion/p/tor-nethealthteam-2021.1-keep
16:01:29 <hiro> o/
16:01:45 <GeKo> please add your items you worked on this week and plan to work on next week
16:01:55 <GeKo> and then mark things to discuss bold
16:02:03 <GeKo> or add them into the discussion section
16:03:02 <GeKo> i can start summarizing what i did this week
16:03:18 <GeKo> i mainly worked on the okrs and some planning while i was at it
16:03:51 <GeKo> i got the eol-relays@ alias going for the eol relays removal
16:04:02 <GeKo> and then i needed to switch gears a bit and help tor browser folks with review
16:04:09 <GeKo> which i am still doing
16:04:28 <GeKo> and will occupy me until wed i suspect
16:04:55 <GeKo> i plan to be afk tomorrow as well
16:06:39 <ggus> ack
16:07:02 <GeKo> okay
16:07:20 <GeKo> let's get started for realz
16:07:27 <GeKo> ggus: eol removal?
16:07:35 <GeKo> i guess that's yours?
16:07:58 <ggus> yeah, last week we discussed that we would start taking a look at EOL relays and removal.
16:09:09 <milad-laly1> just double checking it's my first time on this would i document what ive done so far and planning to do in this week?
16:09:40 <GeKo> milad-laly1: welcome!
16:09:51 <GeKo> you can if you want but it's not needed
16:10:06 <GeKo> but, sure, feel free to do so
16:10:53 <GeKo> milad-laly1: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-nethealthteam-2021.1-keep is the non-onion version if you need that
16:11:20 <GeKo> just go to the updates secion on 09/20
16:11:37 <GeKo> and then enter your nick and write some updates if you want to
16:12:40 <GeKo> ggus: right
16:12:52 <milad-laly1> ahh okay thank you, i dont have anything major to update. just want to get involved with more features hopefully in the future after improving unittesting for sbws
16:13:12 <GeKo> did you look over the proposed policy and have something we should change/amend before we start?
16:14:08 <GeKo> nusenu claims there are 830 eol relays in the network
16:14:31 <GeKo> and it seems we only have 362 with some kind of contact info at all
16:15:10 <GeKo> with something like "<none>", counting, too ;)
16:15:27 <ggus> GeKo: yes, i read the policy, but for some pieces of it, i don't have a very informed opinion. for example, which exactly versions we should remove
16:16:01 <GeKo> it's fine
16:16:10 <GeKo> i think we need the network team for that
16:16:29 <GeKo> giving us some input on actually vulnerable tor versions out there
16:16:47 <GeKo> like ones where we know serious bugs exist
16:17:42 <GeKo> so, my plan is to clean the policy up later this week and then start looking at scripts to help us
16:17:58 <ggus> ok!
16:17:58 <GeKo> there is something we can use as a start i think
16:18:11 <GeKo> but then nothing puts out a .csv file yet
16:18:26 <GeKo> so, i might start with adding that functionality
16:18:59 <GeKo> and then i might to add an email template to the policy, too
16:19:25 <GeKo> + get the mailing going based on the .csv
16:19:49 <GeKo> we could split the list by half or something and you pick the upper half and i the lower one
16:20:11 <GeKo> i can ping you once i got that far and we can decide what we actually want to do
16:20:29 <GeKo> sounds good?
16:20:59 <GeKo> s/might to add/might add/
16:21:00 <ggus> yes, and we could set a limit per week, let's say, 100 emails. so if 50% of this list replies to us, we don't get swampped.
16:21:05 <ggus> sounds good
16:21:25 <GeKo> k
16:21:52 <GeKo> works for me
16:22:13 <GeKo> i recall not getting too much replies back last time i did that dance
16:22:25 <GeKo> but maybe this will be different this time :)
16:23:15 <GeKo> hiro: could you put https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/metrics/base/-/merge_requests/1 onto your plate, too?
16:23:25 <GeKo> maybe after the website release is out?
16:23:32 <hiro> yes
16:23:36 <GeKo> thanks
16:23:37 <hiro> I did approve it
16:23:46 <hiro> I wasn't sure about the merging policy
16:23:49 <hiro> I guess I will merge it
16:23:55 <GeKo> aha
16:23:57 <GeKo> yeah
16:24:05 <hiro> and updated the other projects
16:24:10 <hiro> s/updated/update
16:24:28 <GeKo> so, i think folks who have commit bits and are reviewing a merge request should just merge it
16:24:43 <hiro> sounds good
16:24:45 <GeKo> that avoids another round trip
16:24:58 <GeKo> and we are not in a situation like tor browser
16:25:16 <GeKo> where we might need to coorinate that given upstream release to pick up
16:25:19 <GeKo> and whatnot
16:25:33 <GeKo> so, just go ahead if you like things :)
16:26:40 <GeKo> hackerncoder: you coordinated with gus for your item, right?
16:26:54 <hackerncoder> Hmm?
16:26:58 <GeKo> because we started this kind of convo already, i think?
16:27:08 <hackerncoder> I haven't
16:27:08 <GeKo> HackerNCoder:
16:27:09 <GeKo> Week of September 20 (planned):
16:27:10 <GeKo> - Begin having conversations with/knowing relay operators
16:27:17 <GeKo> but maybe that's something else
16:27:22 <GeKo> not sure
16:27:29 <GeKo> ggus: ^
16:27:32 <hackerncoder> Yea, I just want to know every single relay operator
16:28:30 <GeKo> i see. well, i guess chatting a bit with ggus about that before you start might be a good idea then
16:28:42 <GeKo> he is coordinating our relay community efforts
16:28:53 <GeKo> and might have some tips on how to approach this task
16:28:59 <hackerncoder> Ok, will do
16:29:11 <GeKo> great
16:29:29 <GeKo> do we have anything else to talk about this week?
16:29:39 <GeKo> concerns/questions/problems etc.?
16:30:03 <milad-laly1> ive got one question but ill best ask juga instead
16:30:24 <GeKo> okay
16:30:46 <GeKo> milad-laly1: #tor-dev is a good channel for dev related questions
16:30:57 <GeKo> if you are looking for something like that
16:31:08 <GeKo> otherwise asking here could be fine, too
16:31:15 <GeKo> however you wish
16:31:25 <milad-laly1> yeah i'll see if he's on there or i might just ask him in the MR i have opened
16:31:35 <milad-laly1> thank you though
16:32:02 <GeKo> you are welcome. juga is going by they/them fwiw
16:32:12 <milad-laly1> ohh my bad my bad
16:32:22 <GeKo> no worries :)
16:32:25 <milad-laly1> thank you for the heads up
16:32:48 <GeKo> it seems that we are fine today, so let's get back to "real" work :)
16:32:50 <GeKo> thanks!
16:32:53 <GeKo> #endmeeting