15:00:29 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 11 October 2021
15:00:29 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Oct 11 15:00:29 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:29 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:46 <richard> o/
15:00:48 <boklm> hi!
15:00:55 <GeKo> hello!
15:01:43 <sysrqb> hello and welcome to another week in browserland
15:01:50 <sysrqb> pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:08:04 <sysrqb> alright
15:08:15 <richard> alright
15:08:58 <GeKo> alright
15:09:04 <boklm> alright
15:09:05 <sysrqb> I see Linux Nightly is successfully on 91esr
15:09:33 <sysrqb> Windows has a bit of a delay, but hopefully that is resolved now and we'll get an update tomorrow
15:10:07 <sysrqb> I'll test macOS today, and confirm that is looking good too
15:10:30 <richard> do you still want me to rebase your 40461 branch onto 91.2.0 (or some different combo of branch and version?)
15:10:45 <sysrqb> tor-browser#40461
15:11:18 <sysrqb> ah, right. i think no, not at this point
15:11:34 <sysrqb> we can walk through the 92.3.0esr rebasing in a couple weeks
15:11:55 <sysrqb> but i want you to prep 11.0a9 this week
15:12:10 <sysrqb> and i was planning on working with you on that tomorrow
15:12:31 <richard> ok wfm
15:13:10 <sysrqb> it should be a relatively simple release prep, except the changelog will include all of the issues/bugfixes that we landed for the 91esr transition
15:13:21 <sysrqb> so it'll be longer and more involved than the last couple
15:13:28 <richard> ooh this is a big one then
15:13:34 <richard> (desktop or android again?)
15:13:46 <sysrqb> desktop
15:13:54 <richard> ok exciting
15:14:39 <sysrqb> Android is on my plate for this week. i've neglected it for too long
15:15:07 <sysrqb> last week was a little exciting in Android-land
15:15:32 <sysrqb> because we received some reports that the security levels weren't functioning in the newest releases
15:15:37 <richard> can you prioritize reviewing+merging https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/torbutton/-/merge_requests/60 (or at least the strings) so we have plenty of time to get the localizations and format the ehader image?
15:15:52 <richard> (YEC stuffs)
15:16:12 <sysrqb> richard: yes, i'm going to do that immediately after this meeting
15:16:26 <GeKo> sysrqb: what's been the reason for that?
15:17:06 <sysrqb> yeah. it was a fun bug that distracted me at the end of last week
15:17:16 <sysrqb> and prompted the unscheduled builds
15:18:26 <sysrqb> when we did the Moz93 rebase for geckoview, there was a merge conflict
15:18:49 <sysrqb> we modify the L10nRegistry so it picks up our TorStrings
15:19:17 <sysrqb> but Mozilla re-wrote that registry in rust. i opened tor-browser#40612
15:20:15 <sysrqb> but during the rebase, i made the assumption that this change won't impact Android because we don't use any of our localized torbutton strings on that platform
15:21:00 <sysrqb> while this is true, we unconditionally try initializing TorStrings regardless of the platform in torbutton
15:21:57 <sysrqb> and, because the registry was moved, torbutton failed at startup with an error
15:22:22 <sysrqb> it didn't ocmpletely fail, only the startup-observer component failed
15:22:47 <sysrqb> but that is where we initialize tthe noscript controller and security prefs observers
15:25:24 <sysrqb> i published 10.5.9 this past weekend, and i'll finish publishing 11.0a8 today
15:27:49 <sysrqb> richard: boklm: thanks for building over the weekend
15:28:39 <sysrqb> that's all from me today. assuming nightlies look good tomorrow, we'll prep 11.0a9 for desktop based on 91.20esr
15:28:59 <GeKo> might be worth waiting for one update cycle
15:29:26 <GeKo> we've had updater issues in the past that were only visible when updating from new ESR -> new ESR
15:29:41 <sysrqb> okay, that's reasonable
15:30:14 <GeKo> i guess it's fine prepping and building in parallel to save some time, though
15:30:19 <sysrqb> richard and i can create the branch
15:30:22 <sysrqb> yeah
15:32:06 <sysrqb> I think that's everything for this meeting
15:32:09 <sysrqb> thanks everyone!
15:32:12 <richard> o/
15:32:14 <sysrqb> #endmeeting