15:00:07 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meting 25 October 2021
15:00:07 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Oct 25 15:00:07 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:07 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:11 <sysrqb> Hello everyone!
15:00:16 <GeKo> o/
15:00:29 <sysrqb> welcome to a new week
15:00:43 <donuts> o/
15:00:49 <emmapeel> o/
15:00:58 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos__> Hi!
15:01:00 <boklm> o/
15:02:32 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos__ is happy to be back; I missed these meetings
15:03:01 <sysrqb> pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:05:48 <sysrqb> donuts: i see the YEC is live on the donation web page
15:05:57 <sysrqb> will there be a banner on torproject.org?
15:06:13 <donuts> yep, I think it was missed from the launch yesterday
15:06:18 <donuts> I'm going to chase that up today
15:06:22 <sysrqb> ah, okay
15:06:33 <donuts> but it shouldn't hold up the browser release (donate dot was the important bit)
15:06:40 <sysrqb> so we should publish the Tor Browser update whenever we're ready?
15:07:56 <donuts> will it start updating more or less as soon as it's published?
15:08:04 <donuts> (sorry, I'm not very clued into the release process)
15:08:39 <sysrqb> yes, somewhat. each browser will update individually
15:09:02 <sysrqb> usually within ~12 hours, but it'll depend on how long that browser was running
15:09:52 <donuts> gotcha, so I can tell al that the process will begin very shortly and will take most of the day
15:10:11 <donuts> I will quickly run and get you final permission to publish too
15:10:23 <sysrqb> yes, that's a fine description :)
15:10:34 <sysrqb> okay. it's not 100% ready now
15:10:38 <sysrqb> but it should be within the next 2 hours
15:10:44 <donuts> gotcha, ty
15:12:26 <sysrqb> will there be a blog post about the YEC that I should link to on our release blog post?
15:13:06 <sysrqb> (you can tell me later, if you don't know right now)
15:13:42 <donuts> yep! it's all set up in drupal and ready to go
15:14:03 <donuts> I think the url will be /privacy-is-a-human-right
15:14:12 <sysrqb> okay, i'll check that
15:14:15 <donuts> thanks :)
15:14:45 <sysrqb> and then I should probably publish the Tor Browser blog post after the YEC post is published
15:15:04 <sysrqb> unless that won't until later
15:15:52 <donuts> al says feel free to push the button and release whenever you're ready
15:16:01 <donuts> also roger that re: the blog post, I'll let al know
15:16:09 <sysrqb> thanks
15:16:39 <donuts> np, thank you!
15:17:28 <sysrqb> boklm: thanks for all of your work rebasing
15:17:49 <sysrqb> i will prioritise reviewing those MRs this week
15:18:18 <sysrqb> and I can pick up any rebasing you didn't complete, if that's helpful
15:18:45 <sysrqb> because I think we should move directly to Moz94
15:20:08 <boklm> ah, yes. I'm still trying to get Moz93 to build (but it should be close).
15:20:21 <sysrqb> that's in late beta now, and I don't think we gain much by releasing Fenix93 this week and unless Moz94 will require some more weeks
15:20:34 <boklm> I can then look at Moz94
15:21:07 <boklm> (hopefully it will be easier than the move to Moz93 which required many changes)
15:21:24 <sysrqb> Thanks, we can discuss later this week about whether we should release an alpha based on 93
15:21:38 <boklm> ok
15:21:54 <sysrqb> yeah
15:22:16 <richard> sysrqb: should I be plan on prepping the next alpha release tomororow'ish?
15:22:29 <richard> w/ all the YEC goodness
15:22:59 <sysrqb> that's a good transition question, thanks
15:23:09 <richard> *bam*
15:23:38 <sysrqb> launching the YEC on Alpha is not as time-critical
15:23:57 <sysrqb> but I'd like to publish another alpha release before we stablize 11.0
15:24:30 <sysrqb> and the current release date of 11.0 is next tuesday
15:25:12 <sysrqb> i think we should publish another alpha this week, and delay 11.0 until 5 Nov
15:25:21 <richard> wfm
15:25:33 <sysrqb> and if comms wants to do anything special because of Nov 5, then they can do that, too
15:25:47 <boklm> wfm
15:26:12 <sysrqb> this delay will give us one or two days for fixing any last-minute bugs before we need to begin building 11.0
15:27:29 <GeKo> is it worth having such a major upgrade not on friday with the weekend ahead?
15:27:49 <GeKo> in case one needs to fix up a busted release quickly?
15:28:20 <sysrqb> richard: we can chat tomorrow, but i think prepping 11.0a10 will depend on a couple dependencies (like whether we include an Android build based on Moz93)
15:28:38 <richard> alright
15:28:52 <GeKo> i am not sure whether it would be smarter to move away from a friday for the news cycles
15:29:04 <GeKo> but that's probably something for the pr folks :)
15:30:10 <sysrqb> GeKo: that's a fair question, wrt not releasing right before the weekend
15:31:22 <sysrqb> moving to 8 Nov may be smarter
15:31:40 <boklm> maybe we can post it on tor-qa on friday, and release on monday?
15:32:28 <sysrqb> yeah, that may be safer
15:33:17 <sysrqb> donuts: ^ did you follow that?
15:34:01 <donuts> sorry, wasn't paying attention
15:34:03 * donuts reads up
15:34:24 <sysrqb> that's okay, we can wait :)
15:34:33 <sysrqb> *glare*
15:34:47 <donuts> hahaha
15:35:00 <donuts> okay so Nov 2nd -> Nov 8th?
15:35:12 <sysrqb> yes, that is correct
15:35:20 <donuts> sounds good, I'll update comms :)
15:35:42 <donuts> we were thinking just one or two special release posts, I'll write the big UX one
15:36:10 <donuts> and I was thinking of reaching out to the network team to write a little ode to onions for V2s 🥲
15:36:40 <sysrqb> sounds good to me
15:37:53 <sysrqb> donuts: i see you added a discussion item on the pad...is that recent?
15:38:10 <sysrqb> (I assume it's from you :) )
15:38:14 <donuts> yep but we've already covered it (the yec release question) so all good
15:38:30 <sysrqb> okay, great. i wasn't sure if that was further clarification
15:38:37 <donuts> nope, thank you
15:38:52 <sysrqb> *thumbsup*
15:39:34 <sysrqb> and is "updates about delay on translations, emmapeel" yours, as well?
15:39:40 <emmapeel> yes
15:39:43 <sysrqb> or is that emmapeel ?
15:39:44 <emmapeel> transifex people 'will look onto the problem' of why the tor browser files were not updated. i haven't talked with them directly. in the meantime, please ping me if there is an update that should make it quick to transifex. sorry for the stress last week!
15:39:47 <sysrqb> ah ha, hi!
15:40:04 <emmapeel> is TheRealEmmapeel
15:40:06 <sysrqb> great, thank you emmapeel !
15:40:26 <sysrqb> no worries, we are okay
15:40:31 <emmapeel> i still havent found out what is going on, i will update when i know more.
15:40:39 <sysrqb> thanks
15:42:11 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos__: it's great you're here - you didn't miss much over the last couple weeks
15:42:54 <sysrqb> realistically, I don't see us having capacity for reviewing your port until at least mid-november
15:43:22 <sysrqb> we have our hands full with stablizing 91esr and Android updates (and YEC)
15:43:43 <sysrqb> I'm sorry we haven't been able to give you and your work much attention
15:43:51 <sysrqb> i hope that will change in the not-too-distant future
15:43:54 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos__> Thanks.  Yeah, sick leave is no fun.
15:44:27 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos__> Mid November works for me.  :)
15:45:49 <sysrqb> Tthanks for understanding
15:45:52 <sysrqb> *Thanks
15:47:13 <sysrqb> Okay, that's the end of the items on the pad. i'll wait another minute in case anyone wants to add another item
15:47:31 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos__> Yeah, I know you guys are overworked, I don't want to contribute to that situation
15:48:35 <sysrqb> :)
15:49:09 <sysrqb> We reached the end of the meeting, thanks everyone, and have a good week!
15:49:15 <sysrqb> #endmeeting