16:59:39 <ahf> #startmeeting Network team meeting, 25th october 2021
16:59:39 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Oct 25 16:59:39 2021 UTC.  The chair is ahf. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:59:39 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:59:42 <ahf> hello hello o/
16:59:48 <juga> o/
16:59:52 <dgoulet> o/
16:59:58 <nickm> hihi
17:00:07 <ahf> our pad is at https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-2021.1-keep
17:00:14 <mikeperry> o/
17:00:20 <ahf> and i hope people are not scared of the new area for submitting "status updates"
17:00:34 <ahf> it won't be perfect, but we'll try it out for a bit and modify it and maybe even find something entirely different :-)
17:00:41 <GeKo> o/
17:00:57 <nickm> eta: want me to add the stuff you did last week to the status section for arti, or would you like to?
17:00:59 <ahf> jim's out for today
17:01:20 <eta> nickm, go ahead, just so I get an idea of the format, and I'll do it next time, maybe?
17:01:25 <nickm> ack
17:01:57 <ahf> juga + geko: you're also very welcome to add exciting updates on sbws to the pad if you want. we'll try to publish them as monthly updates from the team on our new interactive web-based forum!
17:02:19 <ahf> ok, how are people's dashboards looking: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/core/-/boards ?
17:02:54 <dgoulet> almost empty! , crazy stuff
17:02:59 <GeKo> hrm
17:03:10 <GeKo> ahf: there is no general s61 part anymore?
17:03:22 <ahf> dgoulet: then you win at work and get to retire early
17:03:26 <eta> empty, but that's unsurprising :p
17:03:31 <GeKo> but we pick the topics like "congestion control"?
17:03:39 <eta> although I have MRs now
17:04:00 <ahf> GeKo: yeah, it's just general headlines there. not related to a specific sponsor in this case because our users (the readers of these posts) shouldn't have to care much about the sponsor
17:04:14 <mikeperry> perhaps the s61 objectives should all be their own headline?
17:04:17 <GeKo> okay, and the personal updates sections we had?
17:04:19 <ahf> eta: very nice, this is mostly for ticket assignment, so once you start getting tickets you can dive into those
17:04:31 <ahf> GeKo: no personal updates, only things you think should be broadcasted here
17:04:31 <eta> ack
17:04:38 <ahf> mikeperry: they have a CC headline
17:04:39 <GeKo> k
17:04:54 <ahf> on line 208
17:04:59 <GeKo> let's see then
17:05:14 <ahf> ya, i do not expect this to be without a bit of chaos
17:05:36 <ahf> also feel free to add important headlines that you want to track over some weeks, that is fine
17:05:42 <ahf> i just added the most obvious ones from my own notes
17:05:47 <GeKo> aha, good
17:05:50 <GeKo> no worries
17:06:07 <ahf> the important thing is that people try to write in a way where they know the reader is our users and people who care about the community
17:06:10 <ahf> not the other team members alone
17:06:26 <ahf> ok!
17:06:30 <ahf> boards looks alright from what i can tell
17:06:52 <ahf> david and i are okay on track with the many releases this week. roger is helping a bit with reading over the changelog work david did this morning
17:07:51 <ahf> it looks like we are doing OK with tickets from other teams. there is some updates to already existing tickets over the last week, but nothing new
17:08:11 <ahf> ok, we have one discussion item from what i can tell which is an evergreen discussion item
17:08:47 <ahf> it's soon time to change our clocks for all the stupid reasons in the world, so we need to figure out if we decide to stick to UTC (and have a different meeting time in our own TZ's) or if we want to shift it again
17:09:09 <ahf> i am usually on the team that prefers sticking to the UTC timestamp, but if it causes troubles for others i also think we can move
17:09:11 <dgoulet> UTC++
17:09:18 * eta is also on team UTC, given that her local time will become UTC :p
17:09:19 <ahf> you want to go to UTC + 1, nice
17:09:21 <ahf> ;-p
17:09:34 <ahf> eta: :-D
17:09:50 <mikeperry> all my clocks are on UTC. I have no idea what the sun does anymore, let alone what time my government thinks it is
17:09:51 <nickm> In the past we decided that we'd keep our team meetings relative to US time, but I don't actually mind either way.
17:10:07 <gaba> it would be much easier to coordinate everything if we keep utc
17:10:17 <ahf> but it's a bit further in the past right? i think we have been at 17 UTC for these meetings at least since april 2020
17:10:22 <nickm> I am okay with changing to UTC if we promise not to argue about it again when the clocks change again :)
17:10:30 <gaba> :)
17:10:31 <ahf> LOL. not gonna promise that
17:10:46 <dgoulet> UTC forever
17:10:56 <ahf> ok, it sounds like people want to stick to UTC. we need to hear a bit what other teams do too of course since we sometimes overlap with each other
17:11:13 <ahf> ok!
17:11:19 * hiro likes sticking to utc
17:11:35 <ahf> we are at the end of the agenda-driven meeting and now need to move to the mikeperry-driven s61 part \o/
17:12:26 <mikeperry> oh boy. yeah so we are struggling with sim results in s61 land, mostly from trying to reduce the need for artifacts
17:12:38 <gaba> yeah! for s61 people please remember to review/add/edit the pad for the report https://pad.riseup.net/p/sponsor61-next-report
17:12:41 <mikeperry> I have been working on log scraping tools for sims, jim is trying to play with gitlab storage in shadow
17:13:23 <mikeperry> oh yeah, and I went over that report with gaba. I added some things for geko's objectives but should be looked ovewr
17:13:42 <ahf> ya, it's nice to see how many different teams involved in building this setup also for future use \o/
17:14:45 <mikeperry> hiro: I am trying to go over the artifacts for the runs we have data for. we should talk after about trying to run your tornettools patch(es) on them
17:15:08 <hiro> sounds good mikeperry
17:16:40 <mikeperry> dgoulet: do you have a new ticket for the DNS issue? I never got the fwd'd mails you mentioned
17:17:10 <dgoulet> mikeperry: not yet figured out
17:17:16 <dgoulet> mikeperry: still talking to toralf about it
17:17:21 <mikeperry> ok
17:18:33 <mikeperry> GeKo,juga: have anything for sbws/network-health?
17:19:15 <juga> mikeperry: not that i can think of, GeKo ?
17:19:28 <GeKo> for sbws not really
17:19:44 <GeKo> we still try to get gabelmoo onto sbws
17:19:53 <GeKo> not exactly sure where we are here
17:20:03 <GeKo> for the health part
17:20:09 <juga> (waiting for gabelmoo to see how it progress)
17:20:20 <GeKo> i am done with my overload scripts
17:20:34 <GeKo> and juga is reviewing them
17:20:45 <GeKo> i continued to poke relay operators with fd related overload
17:20:54 <GeKo> we shuld see some drop in the graphs soon
17:21:10 <ahf> nice
17:21:15 <GeKo> as almost everyone i conacted said they fixed their stuff
17:21:26 <GeKo> and they were happy that i did :)
17:21:43 <GeKo> i started some analysis in https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/team/-/issues/66
17:22:06 <GeKo> i think that's the main thing i worked on last week
17:22:13 <GeKo> i thnk we are good here
17:22:29 <GeKo> there are still rough edges
17:22:40 <GeKo> but we'll monitoring how this goes
17:22:44 <GeKo> in the coming weeks
17:22:52 <GeKo> and then address remaining issues
17:22:54 <mikeperry> ok
17:23:45 <ahf> we good?
17:24:27 <mikeperry> yeah I think so
17:24:28 <ahf> ... we silent at least
17:24:31 <ahf> awesome
17:24:32 <eta> >_<
17:24:33 <ahf> let's call it then
17:24:38 <nickm> :)
17:24:57 <ahf> thanks all for joining the meeting. please give feedback to the new status reporting idea in the next few weeks and we can evaluate if it makes sense over time
17:24:59 <ahf> thanks o/
17:25:01 <ahf> #endmeeting