14:59:55 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 1 November 2021
14:59:55 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Nov  1 14:59:55 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:59:55 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:08 <sysrqb> Hello! I'm not sure who is actually online today
15:00:15 <sysrqb> so this may be a very short meeting
15:00:44 <sysrqb> welcome to November!
15:00:48 <sysrqb> Pad, as usual: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:01:15 <boklm> hi!
15:01:52 <richard> o/
15:03:14 <hiro> o/
15:03:49 <hiro> it's a bank holiday here but I was using some time to catchup on things... also not sure where else today it's a bank holiday
15:04:51 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> Hello!
15:05:00 <sysrqb> yeah, I don't know who is observing that bank holiday
15:05:24 <richard> banks mostly i would presume
15:05:25 <sysrqb> but i am assuming "many countries in europe"
15:05:29 <sysrqb> thaks richard
15:05:39 <sysrqb> super helpful clarification :)
15:05:46 <richard> as opposed to real people I mean :p
15:06:12 <donuts> o/
15:06:18 <richard> o/
15:06:34 <sysrqb> but bank holidays usually result in real-person holidays, too
15:06:47 <sysrqb> because if you can't go to the bank, then what do you do during the day?
15:07:09 <emmapeel> hehehe
15:07:10 <richard> how am i going to count my money noooooow *pops monocle)
15:07:31 <sysrqb> play monopoly, i guess
15:07:45 <hiro> xD also sorry I thought this was the s61 meeting lol
15:07:45 <sysrqb> in any case :)
15:07:51 <richard> :3
15:08:00 <hiro> this summertime / wintertime change is confusing
15:08:05 <boklm> this will be a nice meeting log :)
15:08:21 <sysrqb> hiro: no worries, i was wondering what topic you wanted to discuss :)
15:08:28 <sysrqb> boklm: very productive
15:09:15 <richard> donuts: do we have any more languages for the YEC banner I need to integrate?
15:09:43 <donuts> the only new placard translation is DE so far
15:09:56 <donuts> is this for the Nov 8th release?
15:10:11 <donuts> (disclaimer: I haven't checked today yet, may more have become available this weekend)
15:10:33 <richard> i didn't have anything in mind, just know it's a sort of on-going thing and some time had passed so there may have been updates
15:11:02 <donuts> oh gotcha, yeah I was going to pass you new assets at the end of the week for that release – and I'll just include whatever new stuff we have by then
15:11:12 <richard> kk wfm
15:11:21 <donuts> I do have some updates to the line breaks on the existing translations too (I got more guidance from translators on that front)
15:11:33 <sysrqb> donuts: when you say "at the end of the week", i hope you mean "no later than wednesday"
15:12:03 <donuts> haha, sure
15:12:07 <emmapeel> i added a new string with the linebreaks, and when i updated the file all the reviewes were lost :S
15:12:17 <donuts> aha I wondered what happened!
15:12:50 <donuts> okay I will have new files on wednesday with whatever new stuff we have by then :)
15:12:56 <emmapeel> that does ot happen when you change .pot files, but i guess the support for text files is more basic
15:13:40 <donuts> unrelated to applications but I'm going to update web today emmapeel, and will probably stick to doing that on Mondays if I spot anything new
15:15:12 <emmapeel> oh, is good to have a rythm
15:15:24 <sysrqb> richard: speaking of (kinda), do you have some time after this meeting to prep 11.0a10?
15:15:52 <richard> yeah, we can squeeze that in before the interviews this evening
15:16:01 <sysrqb> great
15:16:41 <sysrqb> we missed that boat last week, but i still want one more alpha before we release 11.0
15:17:25 <sysrqb> i'd rather re-build 11.0 over the weekend, if we find a release blocker
15:17:40 <sysrqb> instead of being surprised next week after the release
15:18:24 <richard> hmm, have we merged anything substantial since 11.0a9?
15:18:34 <sysrqb> boklm: thanks again for rebsaing all of the android branches
15:18:52 <sysrqb> i'm going to concentrate on reviewing those this week
15:19:28 <boklm> the only rebase missing is the fenix one, which I think is more complicate
15:19:45 <sysrqb> richard: no, but i'd like to make sure any of our fixes, like the new identity button, are working as intended now
15:19:52 <GeKo> i think there is one proxy issue arthur filed we should fix before 11.0
15:20:21 <GeKo> it's supposed to be a pref flip only, though
15:20:24 <boklm> tor-browser#40676
15:20:31 <GeKo> but i wonder why we did not catch that
15:21:48 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos_ notes that I'm the one who clued in Arthur about that issue
15:22:01 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> But it turns out Tom noticed it before either of us did
15:22:16 * richard reading
15:22:44 <sysrqb> hrm. i see. i knew about that, but I missed that it was included in FF91.
15:23:19 <sysrqb> GeKo: I still haven't fully audited 91 (or 92/93/94)
15:23:28 <richard> according to the article the firefox fix was added to 91.1, so maybe we missed the minor release batch of tickets
15:23:46 <sysrqb> there are some other pref flips that i want to include in 11.0a10, as well
15:23:58 <richard> wfm
15:24:20 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> Honestly I think the new  Firefox behavior wrt that proxy thing is insane, but maybe Mozilla has different priorities than we do
15:24:50 <sysrqb> richard: i'll write a quick patch for tor-browser#40177 (thorin already did most of the work for us)
15:25:19 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos_: they do, unfortunately
15:25:56 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> :(
15:25:57 <sysrqb> keeping firefox up-to-date is a top priority
15:26:56 <sysrqb> richard: but you can start prepping the other pieces of the release while i work on the tor-browser fixup! patch
15:27:12 <richard> seems kind of strange that web-extensions can even access the browser's proxy settings vOv
15:27:28 <richard> sysrqb: sounds good
15:27:54 <donuts> do we have a ticket somewhere for the disappearing buttons/tor settings on MacOS? I can't find it if so
15:28:15 <donuts> it's still an issue as of a9, but I'm not sure if there's a fix for it in waiting
15:28:18 <sysrqb> is that the first-start bug?
15:28:21 <donuts> yep
15:29:34 <sysrqb> i don't see one
15:30:22 <sysrqb> i remember richard looked at it a little bit, but i don't remember if there was a ticket associated with that
15:31:12 <richard> what is this issue?
15:31:27 <donuts> the mac issue you requested logs for
15:31:40 <sysrqb> invisible connect/configure buttons on first-start after upgrading to 11.0a9
15:31:54 <richard> i thought in the end that happened because you were launching from the dmg or something
15:31:57 <donuts> oh, maybe we decided it wasn't a real issue if the application was installed in the /applications directory
15:31:59 <donuts> yeah
15:32:01 <donuts> let me retest
15:35:04 <donuts> I'll create a ticket, I'm seeing the issue in /applications now too
15:35:23 <sysrqb> i don't see any discussion items, i'll wait a minute in case anyone adds one
15:35:27 <sysrqb> donuts: thanks
15:35:27 <donuts> I have no idea why it wasn't occurring there before, maybe it was still reading some old tor-data folder or something
15:35:54 <richard> well great
15:35:59 <donuts> sorry :/
15:39:58 <sysrqb> richard: please poke at that this week, it's kinda a nasty UX bug :/
15:40:11 <richard> yeah can do
15:40:18 <sysrqb> okay, the discussion section is still empty, so i think we're done here
15:40:21 <sysrqb> richard: thanks
15:40:22 <richard> donuts: if you could file a ticket w/ repro steps that'd be lvoely
15:40:38 <donuts> yep, on it
15:40:40 <sysrqb> thanks everyone, have a good week!
15:40:53 <sysrqb> #endmeeting