17:00:20 <ahf> #startmeeting Network team meeting, 8th november 2021
17:00:20 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Nov  8 17:00:20 2021 UTC.  The chair is ahf. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:00:20 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:00:23 <ahf> hello hello
17:00:42 <nickm> hi there!
17:00:49 * ahf waits for a matrix pop-up to go away soe he can click on the right tab
17:01:00 <ahf> our pad is at https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-2021.1-keep
17:01:14 <ahf> thanks for all the help last week with turning the updates into the forum post!
17:01:51 <ahf> how are folks' boards doing: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/core/-/boards ?
17:02:00 * ahf waits for a few more to join
17:02:08 <GeKo> o/
17:02:24 <ahf> o/
17:02:26 <nickm> dgoulet, eta: meeting ping :)
17:02:37 <dgoulet> yes?
17:02:48 <nickm> ah! wasn't sure you were here
17:02:49 <mikeperry> o/
17:02:57 <nickm> sorry
17:02:58 <eta> o/
17:03:06 <ahf> how are folks' boards doing: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/core/-/boards ?
17:03:06 <eta> nickm, (cheers)
17:03:12 <nickm> :)
17:03:55 * eta actually has things in hers now!
17:04:30 <dgoulet> my board is legit
17:04:45 <eta> same here
17:04:50 <nickm> Mine is fine; I spent a little time cleaning out my icebox.
17:05:30 <ahf> mine is also OK.. now
17:05:36 <ahf> have one annoying ticket in doing
17:05:38 <ahf> excellent
17:06:08 <ahf> we have our check-in on the release situation. we are still merging some smaller things to main right now, but also holding a few things back
17:06:17 <ahf> we have a discussion item later by nickm about 0.4.7
17:06:43 <ahf> we can sort of take that now as this is technically the last bullet on the must do part of the meeting before the s61 part kicks in
17:06:57 <nickm> ok.
17:07:00 <ahf> 2021-11-08 [nickm] Is it time to revisit the 0.4.7 release plan? i.e., aim to stabilize what we have, then have S69 go in 048, which would release in late Q1 2022?
17:07:06 <ahf> s69 = s61 ?
17:07:10 <nickm> sorry, yes
17:07:28 <ahf> so what is your thoughts here? i thought we had a plan here a week ago :-)
17:07:44 <ahf> david and i talked with mike when he expects to have the next round of things that needs to go in for next alpha release ready
17:08:05 <nickm> what will that include?  And when does it get 047 stable out the door? :)
17:09:16 <ahf> i don't think there is a fixed date yet. it sounded like the CC things were ready quite soon
17:10:07 <nickm> okay.  So, the situation I think we should avoid is delaying 047 to the point where we could have done two releases had we delayed CC.
17:10:10 <ahf> mikeperry: correct me if i am wrong, but it's the negotiation part that needed to land right?
17:10:21 <ahf> right
17:10:37 <mikeperry> ahf: yes, which I am currently testing in chutney
17:11:07 <ahf> nickm: right. i don't think there is a plan for not doing CC in 0.4.7 because parts of the roadmap on that depends on it going out in reality for feedback
17:11:21 <ahf> so i think waiting for the changes here while the simulation work is ongoing is acceptable
17:11:37 <nickm> I think so too, but:
17:12:28 <nickm> our regular schedule has been to put out release approximately every 4-5 montsh
17:12:49 <nickm> *months
17:12:52 <ahf> right
17:13:20 <nickm> If we freeze 047 in November, we get it out in Jan/Feb. That's probably fine.
17:13:39 <ahf> i think even if we freeze a bit into december that will be fine too
17:14:02 <ahf> but the part that i don't get is that we had a meeting 1.5-2m ago where we decided that releases for tor.git can be way more flexible now and we also agreed that the *big* thing in 0.4.7 is CC
17:14:04 <nickm> If we freeze in March, though, we don't get it out till may
17:14:08 <ahf> oh, i agree
17:14:14 <ahf> it should be in before, i agree on that
17:14:24 <ahf> we are not moving to a -current format :-)
17:15:01 <ahf> if we are frozen before we go on holiday i think we'll be good
17:15:11 <ahf> if we are not frozen before we go on holiday, then we have a bit of a problem probably
17:15:46 <nickm> mikeperry, dgoulet:  IYO is "freeze before holidy" more of a "definitely will happen", "will happen with a lot of effort", or something else?
17:16:45 <mikeperry> I am confident exit-side negotiation will be done by then, yes
17:17:12 <nickm> Done, and merged, and nothing else has to go in 047?
17:17:56 <mikeperry> yes negotiation is the last piece
17:17:58 <ahf> by nothing else you mean features right? because we merge bugfixes post stable release
17:18:05 <nickm> right
17:18:11 <ahf> and i am quite sure we'll have bugs to fix
17:19:24 <ahf> was that all the information for this discussion point? :o
17:19:41 <nickm> I think so.  Should I update the wiki accordingly?
17:20:22 <ahf> sure, freeze ~15 december?
17:20:43 <nickm> sure!
17:20:53 <ahf> cool, then we have a week to deal with fire if anything
17:21:20 <nickm> I've given us 3 months for release, per usual.
17:21:28 <ahf> yeah, i think that is fine
17:22:00 <ahf> ok
17:22:05 <nickm> thanks, and sorry for the diversion!
17:22:08 <ahf> i think that was all discussion items and there are no announcements here
17:22:14 <ahf> no worries, good to clear things up
17:22:20 <ahf> mikeperry: the s61 floor is yours
17:23:34 <mikeperry> yeah so the main thing is I have been working on exit-side negotiation. it sometimes works in chutney, but sometimes it hits cases where parts of the code still check/verify the originsl ntor handshake type
17:23:44 <mikeperry> so I have to hunt the rest of those down
17:24:49 <mikeperry> I also altered nicks mockup branch to only send ntorv3 to exits rather than every hop
17:25:03 <mikeperry> and right now I only bump one protover instead of two
17:25:19 <ahf> nice
17:25:48 <mikeperry> we're also fine tuning the shadow gitlab situation. some minor struggles there
17:26:16 <ahf> good. you're getting whatever help is needed there or is it all something you can handle yourself? sounded like we got some more hw for the runners last week?
17:26:19 <mikeperry> hiro is finishing up a graphing piece, and then with that I think we will be ready tun run a lot more sims in parallel
17:26:27 <ahf> nice \o/
17:26:36 * dgoulet is doing the HS part of negotiation also
17:27:00 <hiro> \o/
17:27:03 <nickm> (please put me at some point in the review chain on these negotiation patches before they merge?)
17:27:31 <mikeperry> jnewsome: are there still pain points in gitlab storage, etc? I think we worked around most of the blockers yeah?
17:27:48 <mikeperry> jnewsome: or is it still possible we randomly run out of storage?
17:28:16 <jnewsome> mikeperry: I think we're basically good now. eventually we'll fill up the disk on the runner, but I think we have on the order of 100 GB to go
17:28:31 <jnewsome> i'll start looking into some form of garbage collection, hopefully before we hit that
17:29:22 <jnewsome> 391 GB to go
17:30:01 <mikeperry> are we able to manually prune runs we don't care about?
17:30:51 <ahf> if it's artifacts or CI things in gitlab i think they can be pruned from the API - i don't think docker images can be pruned via the api
17:31:10 <jnewsome> not super easily at the moment. on the host machine the files are owned by root. I'm currently making them read-only from inside the CI; maybe I can +w the directories
17:31:48 <jnewsome> ahf: we're using a docker volume for the bulk storage
17:32:05 <jnewsome> since we kept hitting the limit and crashing and burning with artifacts
17:32:24 <ahf> ah
17:32:28 <ahf> smart
17:34:17 <mikeperry> how is the sbws thing going w/ the exit pinning?
17:34:33 <GeKo> juga is making progress
17:34:50 <GeKo> they can't make this meeting, alas
17:34:54 <mikeperry> I have not checked in on that this past week, but I saw juga and dgoulet on irc talking about it
17:35:09 <GeKo> but as far as i understood chances are good they'll get it working soon
17:35:09 <dgoulet> I recall juga being finally able to make that .exit sitaution work!
17:35:15 <GeKo> yeah
17:35:23 <GeKo> there are some tests that still need to get done
17:35:33 <GeKo> but it looks pretty much promising
17:36:25 <mikeperry> ok nice
17:36:43 <mikeperry> anything else to cover?
17:36:54 * ahf good
17:37:02 <GeKo> i am good
17:37:07 <nickm> okay with me
17:38:29 <mikeperry> aight I think we're good then
17:38:29 <ahf> shall we end the meeting?
17:38:32 <ahf> perfect
17:38:35 <ahf> thanks everybody o/
17:38:37 <ahf> #endmeeting