14:59:40 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 22 November 2021
14:59:40 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Nov 22 14:59:40 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:59:40 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:59:55 <sysrqb> Hi everyone!
14:59:56 <donuts> o/
15:00:01 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:00:04 <boklm> hi!
15:01:19 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hi!
15:02:53 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> ...did anyone else just get kicked off the pad?
15:02:58 <sysrqb> I'm traveling this week, so I'll be afk for some parts of this week
15:03:10 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: I didn't, in case that helps
15:03:12 <boklm> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: pad is working for me
15:03:25 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> hmm ok
15:03:33 <donuts> try turning it off and on again
15:03:43 <donuts> :P
15:04:22 <sysrqb> i don't know where is the off switch for the internet
15:05:00 <donuts> i hear they have a killswitch hidden somewhere in CERN
15:05:13 <sysrqb> Oh, good.
15:05:56 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> FWIW only the onion is broken for me.  Cryptoyoloing it and connecting via DNS.
15:06:17 <sysrqb> ah ha
15:07:22 <sysrqb> donuts: your discussion items are the only topics I was planning on discussing today, so I think we can jump directly into them
15:07:45 <donuts> oh perfect
15:08:31 <sysrqb> Regarding the 11.0 update for Android, that's blocked by us updating our patches to a newer version of Fenix
15:08:55 <sysrqb> I'm in the middle of reviewing the updates boklm completed, and finishing rewriting some of our patches
15:09:08 <donuts> yep, I had a quick look at the fenix repo and thought that was the case – makes sense!
15:09:21 <sysrqb> which are needed because Mozilla made some significant changes in recent versions which we need to adapt to
15:09:32 <sysrqb> so, unfortunately, this is taking some time
15:09:49 <GeKo> who is reviewing the fenix changes while richard is afk?
15:10:29 <GeKo> or do you expect them not to be ready anyway until they are back?
15:10:39 <sysrqb> GeKo: I am reviewing the change boklm made, and I haven't worried about who will review my changes because I don't know when I'll be done
15:10:44 <donuts> are we looking at early Dec for an android release, probably?
15:10:46 <donuts> ah ok
15:11:08 <sysrqb> donuts: yes, likely early december
15:11:21 <donuts> ack
15:11:42 <GeKo> i see
15:12:02 <sysrqb> and, because it's taking so long, we'll likely pick up the next version of fenix
15:13:54 <sysrqb> And for 11.0 desktop bugs/fixes, those will likely wait until richard returns
15:14:23 <sysrqb> because I don't have enough time to work on both Android and desktop issues right now
15:14:40 <donuts> yep, totally understand
15:14:56 <donuts> fonts, tab crashes and broken extensions are the top-complained about ones, roughly in that order – if that helps give some sense of prioritization
15:15:31 <donuts> how do you feel about us telling users for whom TB11 isn't usable to rollback to 10.5?
15:16:35 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Gonna guess this means the answer to my bold item is "definitely not till early December"?
15:16:51 <boklm> I thinks fonts issue has an easy fix (removing 2 fonts files), but needs some testing to check that removing those fonts is not causing other issues
15:17:13 <sysrqb> donuts: i want to look at tor-browser#40721 this week
15:17:30 <donuts> boklm: yep, I saw that – that's weird but promising
15:17:39 <sysrqb> but that's the only one I'd prioritize over Android right now
15:17:49 <donuts> sysrqb: gotcha, sounds good
15:18:10 <donuts> we have a workaround for fonts at least
15:18:32 <sysrqb> i hesitate recommending rolling back to 10.5 because that has other trade-offs, which are less obvious
15:19:05 <sysrqb> known security issues/vulnerabilities is the largest
15:19:28 <donuts> yeah, I thought that was the case
15:19:43 <donuts> (didn't want to start spamming that advice without checking with you first)
15:20:03 <donuts> ok, I'll push any workarounds we have with users first
15:20:19 <sysrqb> but that could be an option for some people, if they are aware of the trade-off
15:20:30 <sysrqb> thanks
15:22:37 <sysrqb> but, Jeremy_Rand_Talos, for your question. Yes, I don't have an ETA right now
15:22:58 <sysrqb> let's plan on discussing it before the holidays
15:23:19 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> sysrqb, ok, works for me
15:24:17 <sysrqb> Okay, anything else for this week?
15:24:31 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> one                             thing
15:24:43 <sysrqb> yes? :)
15:25:14 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> sysrqb, fair to assume that the ARM/POWER stuff will happen before any Namecoin stuff, seeing as the ARM/POWER stuff already has an approach ACK?
15:26:00 <sysrqb> Yes
15:26:10 <donuts> one fun update: new torconnect figma prototypes are getting irl user testing this week!
15:26:19 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: I'll ping you about Namecoin, too
15:26:26 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> ok cool, figured as much, just wanted to confirm
15:26:35 <sysrqb> donuts: woo! exciting
15:26:37 <donuts> will hopefully be doing more of this going forward so feedback fixes happen earlier, and put less of a burden on later development
15:27:12 <sysrqb> sounds ideal, that will be great
15:27:49 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> sysrqb, please don't feel any pressure on my end about Namecoin, I know it's a low priority
15:28:01 <sysrqb> understood
15:30:03 <sysrqb> alright, I assume that's everything for this meeting
15:30:13 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> that is all from me :)
15:30:15 <sysrqb> thanks everyone, and have a great week
15:30:22 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Thanks!
15:30:23 <donuts> thanks team!
15:30:24 <sysrqb> I'll talk with all of you during the week
15:30:27 <sysrqb> o/
15:30:29 <sysrqb> #endmeeting