14:59:28 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 20 December 2021
14:59:28 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Dec 20 14:59:28 2021 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:59:28 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:59:36 <sysrqb> Hello!
14:59:38 <boklm> hi!
14:59:39 <PieroV> o/
14:59:52 * sysrqb remembers their clock is ~30 seconds faster than meetbot's
15:00:00 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:00:48 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> Hi!
15:01:03 <GeKo> o/
15:02:02 <richard> o/
15:04:06 <donuts> o/
15:05:09 <sysrqb> GeKo: I'm happy to see your comment on https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/issues/40345#note_2767389
15:05:20 <sysrqb> I was going to ask if that was on boklm's radar
15:05:29 <sysrqb> but it seems we're in a better situation than I expected
15:05:39 <sysrqb> assuming the build is/was successful
15:06:41 <GeKo> it was as i wrote
15:06:42 <sysrqb> oh, tor-browser-build!385 says  it was successful, excellent.
15:07:05 <sysrqb> great
15:07:09 <GeKo> yeah, that one made me nervous so i tried over the weekend
15:07:20 <GeKo> to figure out how urgent/complicated it is
15:07:34 <GeKo> we are lucky it seems
15:08:40 <sysrqb> yeah, i'll take that outcome
15:09:42 <sysrqb> okay. Tor Browser 11.0.3 is syncing onto the webservers now
15:10:01 <donuts> \o/
15:10:09 <sysrqb> it should be ready in ~4 hours
15:10:33 <sysrqb> boklm: are you planning on publishing the blog post today or tomorrow?
15:10:41 <boklm> I can prepare the blog post after the meeting
15:10:51 <boklm> and publish it later today
15:11:04 <sysrqb> okay, sounds good
15:11:17 <GeKo> yes
15:11:25 <GeKo> we should try to get 11.0.3 out today
15:11:32 <GeKo> so we have tomorrow for assessing fallout
15:11:40 <GeKo> before everyone vanished on wed
15:12:14 <donuts> a couple more forum users made promising noises, so fingers crossed
15:13:16 <sysrqb> okay, good
15:15:01 <sysrqb> boklm: i'll take the mozilla95 toolchain updates and look at the geckoview build failure, yes?
15:15:11 <boklm> sysrqb: ok
15:15:14 <sysrqb> i think you are busy working on other things?
15:15:25 <boklm> yes
15:15:31 <sysrqb> okay
15:15:41 <GeKo> what is the plan for a new tba release?
15:15:52 <sysrqb> currently, we should have nightlies based on Fenix94
15:16:37 <sysrqb> I was debating rushing a TBA Alpha release this week
15:16:59 <sysrqb> based on Fenix94, which is better than the current situation
15:17:33 <GeKo> well, i meant stable release
15:18:13 <sysrqb> at this point, we won't have a stable release until next month
15:19:38 <donuts> how many alpha releases do you think are necessary before stable? one for 94 and one for 95, at least?
15:19:56 <sysrqb> donuts: it depends on when we publish the alpha release
15:20:03 <sysrqb> but yes, probably
15:20:06 <boklm> with an alpha Fenix94 this week, we could get a stable Fenix94 early next month while we work on the 95 update?
15:20:06 <donuts> right
15:20:24 <GeKo> maybe skip the 95 update and switch to 96?
15:20:38 <sysrqb> boklm: yes, that would be the goal, if we build a last-minute alpha this week
15:20:40 <GeKo> because we somehow need to catch up
15:20:55 <GeKo> and there are 96 betas available
15:21:35 <sysrqb> GeKo: yes, but getting a working Fenix95 build will make getting Fenix96 builds easier
15:21:56 <GeKo> well, it depends
15:22:19 <GeKo> if mozilla fixed things in the 96 cycle that we hit in the 95 one and solve on our own
15:22:33 <GeKo> than this saves us precious time
15:23:34 <GeKo> like if they revert patches that cause e.g. build issues for us there is no need that we spend time fixing those build issues ourselves
15:23:56 <sysrqb> but we should be quite close with getting Fenix95 building, so I believe spending some time on that is more worth our time right now
15:24:17 <sysrqb> compared with starting the toolchain work again for Fenix96
15:24:38 <sysrqb> this should be a smaller "stepping stone"
15:25:48 <sysrqb> because if there are larger problems in Fenix96, then jumping directly there will block any release
15:26:05 <sysrqb> instead of allowing us to release based on Fenix95 in January
15:26:23 <donuts> so it sounds like the plan is Fenix94 Alpha this week (if possible, given this 'week' is two days) -> Fenix94 Stable in Jan, then figure out what to do with 95/96 separately?
15:27:00 <sysrqb> donuts: yes, that's a fair summary
15:28:13 <boklm> we can also look at how many toolchain updates are needed for 96 before deciding if we skip 95
15:28:32 <sysrqb> ideally, we'll have a Fenix 95 alpha or Fenix96 alpha concurrently with the Fenix94 stable
15:29:41 <sysrqb> boklm: good idea, I'll run the commands after this meeting
15:31:32 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos_: Hrm. Yes. We planned on discussing the ports before next year
15:32:13 <sysrqb> Unfortunately, as you can see, we're still overloaded
15:32:28 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> sysrqb, indeed.  Based on the above discussion it sounds like Fenix chaos is wrecking timelines?
15:33:13 <sysrqb> yeah
15:33:49 <sysrqb> but, boklm is looking at macos-aarch64 due to potential impending doom on mac M1s by Apple
15:34:14 <sysrqb> so I wonder if boklm could begin looking over some of your patches next year
15:34:42 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos_: keeping up with Android is already most of a full-time job for boklm, though
15:35:05 <sysrqb> so reviewing your patches will likely be slow, regardless
15:35:40 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> sysrqb, That would work for me.  I don't know how much of my code will be applicable for macOS, but if doing them together makes review easier, I have no objection.
15:35:54 <sysrqb> I can discuss this with boklm separately, and maybe we can come up with a plan
15:36:08 <boklm> yes, I think I can start reviewing them in january
15:36:39 <donuts> boklm: fyi I added some text to the bottom of the 11.0.2 release post on the forum about why readers couldn't view bugs 40698 and 40721 anymore, feel free to copy parts of it or ignore entirely (assuming nobody cares if the issues are "fixed")
15:37:09 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> ok.  So I guess I'll do a git rebase late December and make sure everything works with current master.
15:37:11 <boklm> donuts: ok
15:38:02 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> I don't expect any merge conflicts, but can't hurt for me to verify that before you start reviewing.
15:38:17 <sysrqb> that sounds good
15:39:07 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> boklm / sysrqb, feel free to ping me on IRC or email or the GitLab threads to coordinate so that we can make sure everyone's time is being used most frugally
15:39:44 <sysrqb> Okay
15:39:58 <boklm> ok
15:40:59 <sysrqb> the only other topic I have for today is making sure we have coverage in case of an emergency release over the holidays
15:41:12 <sysrqb> i can take lead, so I just need a second builder
15:41:31 <richard> I'm free for building
15:41:32 <sysrqb> will anyone be around that I can ping?
15:41:39 <sysrqb> great, thanks richard
15:41:39 <PieroV> I have never released a build, but I can help if needed
15:41:56 <GeKo> i can build, too
15:41:56 <boklm> I should be able to build too
15:42:11 <sysrqb> okay, so the entire team can build, great :)
15:42:34 <GeKo> there is the question as well for prepping desktop releases at the begin of january
15:42:43 <GeKo> i guess i am doing those at least
15:42:51 <donuts> yep, we'll need to take down the campaign too – I'll post a ticket about that
15:43:18 <GeKo> great, richard that's a ticket you could work on
15:43:26 <donuts> on that subject everyone's hard work has 100% paid off, and we're currently sitting at $756,685.65 raised with the match \o/
15:43:29 <donuts> so thank you!
15:43:33 <richard> dope
15:43:37 <GeKo> yeah
15:43:38 <PieroV> Nice!
15:43:44 <sysrqb> nice
15:43:49 <boklm> nice
15:43:52 <richard> donuts: I'll see about writing a revert patch tomorrow for the eoy campaign
15:44:32 <sysrqb> GeKo: I can prep 11.0.4 on Jan 05
15:44:46 <GeKo> no worries
15:44:52 <donuts> that sounds great, thanks everyone
15:44:53 <sysrqb> i definitely won't be opposed to you helping, but if you need to work on other things then that's okay, too
15:44:58 <GeKo> i can do it. there is enough in tba land to do i think
15:45:09 <GeKo> no, i am still in tor browser land for the time being
15:45:11 <sysrqb> thanks
15:45:48 <PieroV> Apart from the reordering I don't have anything in my bucket
15:46:13 <GeKo> you could start looking at fixing the test suite
15:46:19 <GeKo> or getting used to it
15:46:31 <GeKo> seems like a useful experience :)
15:46:38 <PieroV> Okay, is there an issue related to it?
15:46:48 <GeKo> that way you could test your re-ordered patches, too
15:46:55 <GeKo> well, the tests are busted
15:47:07 <GeKo> i can file a ticket for the general esr91 work if you want
15:47:19 <GeKo> "make tests for esr91 pass, thx" :)
15:47:19 <PieroV> Okay, thanks
15:47:26 <PieroV> Ahaha
15:47:39 <sysrqb> PieroV: i started poking at the testsuite, but I didn't get very far
15:47:46 <sysrqb> you may want to start with looking at tor-browser-bundle-testsuite#40006
15:48:07 <GeKo> yeah
15:48:12 <sysrqb> but trying the current version and see what breaks is probably the best place
15:48:15 <PieroV> Okay, I will do it
15:48:16 <sysrqb> to start
15:49:09 <GeKo> gacar filed some tickets, too. so, there is plenty to do.
15:49:22 <GeKo> we'll see how important that is compared to upcoming sponsor work etc.
15:49:37 <GeKo> but getting things started would be good
15:51:06 <sysrqb> GeKo: you have your "get 11.0.3 out" item bolded, did we cover the parts of that you wanted?
15:51:30 <GeKo> i think we are good, yes
15:51:48 <sysrqb> okay, great
15:52:05 <sysrqb> i don't see any other discussion topics on the pad
15:52:28 <PieroV> Maybe about the reordering
15:52:43 <PieroV> I'm waiting for feedbacks if the squashes sound good
15:53:18 <PieroV> Then I'll push my branch
15:53:22 <richard> (I'm also awaiting review for the tor-browser#40679 fixes, but no rush until the new year I suspect :) )
15:53:35 <GeKo> yeah
15:53:50 <GeKo> i might not finish them tomorrow :)
15:54:14 <GeKo> but the moat one i will so you can build more s96 stuff on that
15:54:45 <GeKo> PieroV: i gonna look at that tomorrow
15:54:54 <GeKo> but richard should look too
15:55:03 <richard> yeah i'll look as well
15:55:16 <PieroV> Thank you :)
15:55:35 <donuts> fyi richard, we presented some torconnect 2.0 stuff at the DRL Gathering and it went down well :)
15:55:44 <sysrqb> woo!
15:55:49 <richard> PieroV: we looking at tor-browser#40562 then?
15:55:58 <donuts> folks were particularly excited about the tor settings changes actually, so I'll post a separate ticket for those and we can review them properly in the new year
15:56:03 <richard> donuts: ooh you'll have to fill me in
15:56:09 <GeKo> richard: yes
15:56:11 <PieroV> richard: yep
15:56:16 <richard> great and great
15:58:10 <sysrqb> Alright. And with that, I with you all happy holidays and a happy new year. You all did great work this year
15:58:32 <sysrqb> and see you at the next meeting in 2022
15:58:38 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> Seconded :)
15:58:41 <donuts> thanks sysrqb! happy holidays and great work everyone! :D
15:58:43 <sysrqb> thanks everyone
15:58:48 <GeKo> o/
15:58:48 <PieroV> Thanks! Happy holidays and a happy new year to everybody :)
15:58:55 <sysrqb> s/i with/i wish/ :)
15:59:05 <sysrqb> #endmeeting