15:00:39 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 10 Jan 2022
15:00:39 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Jan 10 15:00:39 2022 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:39 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:51 <sysrqb> Hello!
15:00:59 <gaba> o/
15:01:31 <donuts> o/
15:01:31 <sysrqb> Pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:01:33 <GeKo> hi!
15:02:34 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hi!
15:02:38 <sysrqb> Happy New Year, everyone, and welcome back
15:02:46 <boklm> hi
15:02:59 <PieroV> Thanks! Happy new year
15:03:41 <donuts> happy new year! ^^
15:03:57 * Jeremy_Rand_Talos concurs
15:08:48 <sysrqb> Okay
15:10:39 <sysrqb> donuts: i'm going to work on prepping an Android Alpha this week based on Fenix 94
15:10:51 <donuts> oh fantastic
15:10:56 <sysrqb> I've been using the Nightly for a few weeks and I don't see any issues
15:11:11 <donuts> great, assuming that remains the case are you thinking of just doing one alpha?
15:11:15 <sysrqb> meanwhile we're working on jumping to Fenix 96
15:11:25 <sysrqb> PieroV began some of that work today
15:11:32 <PieroV> Yep, I'm doing a build right now
15:11:38 <PieroV> I've already ended with cherry-picking
15:12:04 <PieroV> I just need to know if I should squash the only squash commit (to avoid rebasing then and force pushing)
15:12:17 <sysrqb> donuts: difficult to say, but yes, possibly. I'll let you know
15:12:23 <donuts> sure thing, ty!
15:13:09 <sysrqb> PieroV: i'll provide feedback after this meeting
15:13:13 <sysrqb> thanks for working on it today
15:13:23 <PieroV> Thanks :)
15:13:30 <PieroV> Np, I don't have much on my plate right now
15:13:49 <sysrqb> I expect that will change soon :)
15:14:01 <donuts> ha
15:14:03 <richard> lol
15:14:11 <aguestuser> o/
15:14:19 <sysrqb> hello!
15:14:21 <GeKo> hi!
15:14:21 <donuts> welcome aguestuser!
15:14:24 <PieroV> Hi!
15:14:27 <richard> hallo
15:15:12 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hi aguestuser!
15:15:51 <aguestuser> :)
15:16:53 <sysrqb> aguestuser is our newest addition on the applications/browser team
15:17:07 <sysrqb> i'm not the only Android person, anymore
15:17:20 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> cool!
15:17:28 <aguestuser> :))
15:17:55 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Always good to see the team expand
15:18:01 <sysrqb> indeed!
15:18:06 <donuts> +1
15:18:11 <richard> quite
15:18:42 <sysrqb> boklm: re: helping with signing the alpha release
15:18:49 <sysrqb> yes, I think that's a good idea
15:19:13 <boklm> ok, thanks
15:19:46 <sysrqb> let's discuss after this meeting
15:20:42 <sysrqb> on that topic, 11.0.4 is signed and I'll put it on the webservers tonight
15:21:11 <GeKo> great
15:21:19 <donuts> awesome, ty!
15:21:26 <GeKo> it still looks good. i've been using it for a while now
15:21:30 <PieroV> fantastic!
15:21:33 <GeKo> linux-only, though
15:21:56 * donuts is installing now
15:21:58 <sysrqb> great
15:23:04 <sysrqb> PieroV: do you want to discuss any of the "help" items you listed?
15:23:09 <PieroV> Sure
15:23:52 <PieroV> My fist build of the year failed on Python, and it took me quite a while to understand that now for some reason on Debian testing lsb_release -r is outputting testing/unstable
15:24:37 <PieroV> The output is assigned to lsb_release and in turn used as a file name for the output of the Python package
15:25:14 <PieroV> The workaround is quite simple: manually setting the distribution to something without a slash in the rbm.local.conf, however I wanted to ask if there's a better solution
15:25:51 <boklm> hmm, I think we can remove the lsb_release parts from the python filename
15:26:31 <PieroV> Okay, I'll add a MR for this, thanks
15:26:58 <PieroV> The second point is about tests: they work, but do you have some plans for them?
15:27:24 <PieroV> If we want to keep these ones I could update the setup scripts
15:28:01 <PieroV> Or should I port them to the new testing framework?
15:28:16 <boklm> I think we have a meeting to talk about tests/QA on january 18
15:28:28 <richard> yeah we do
15:28:29 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> boklm, btw your pad has a typo (s/November/January/)
15:28:44 <PieroV> Oh, right, I'll wait until then
15:28:51 <boklm> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: fixed, thanks!
15:29:03 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> :)
15:29:20 <sysrqb> the meeting isn't directly related to the testsuite
15:29:28 <sysrqb> but we can discss it there, as well
15:30:05 <sysrqb> PieroV: do you have a MR already? i did not look
15:30:29 <PieroV> Yeah, it's tor-browser-bundle-testsuite!17
15:30:52 <PieroV> However it still misses the fix for the vanilla bridge
15:31:34 <sysrqb> okay. If we can "easily" fix the current Desktop/Linux tests and have some confidence that our nightly builds are working, then merging your fixes seems like the reasonable next step
15:32:19 <aguestuser> (question for later/onboarding: what is the "new testing suite" and how is it different from the current one?)
15:32:49 <sysrqb> PieroV: if you can add the vanilla bridge fix this week, then I'll add the code review on my plate
15:33:03 <sysrqb> aguestuser: there is not a new testsuite :)
15:33:11 <sysrqb> or, we do not have a new testsuite
15:33:16 <aguestuser> /s/suite/framework
15:33:28 <PieroV> Okay, did someone get the IP address from the anticensorship team last Friday?
15:33:43 <PieroV> I went AFK and so I missed it, if any
15:33:53 <aguestuser> there is a plan to make one? (re: PieroV: "Or should I port them to the new testing framework?")
15:33:54 <sysrqb> Mozilla changes how they test firefox whereby you must compile firefox and run the tests from within the firefox repo
15:34:02 <GeKo> sysrqb: i think richard reviewing PieroV's work is a good thing
15:34:06 <GeKo> so you can focus on mobile
15:34:28 <GeKo> or vpn :)
15:34:33 <sysrqb> aguestuser: previously you could using their testing framework separately from the compiled firefox environment
15:34:48 <richard> yeah I am reviewing the test sutie changes after the patch reordering :)
15:34:50 <PieroV> aguestuser: the current testsuite is based on a tool that Mozilla deprecated, I asked for this reason :)
15:35:01 <sysrqb> PieroV: ah, they agreed with the IP address I found for the built-in bridge
15:35:01 <aguestuser> +1 thx :)
15:35:12 <sysrqb> PieroV: so, if you still have that, then let's use it
15:35:23 <PieroV> Okay, thanks
15:36:07 <GeKo> richard: thanks
15:36:15 <sysrqb> GeKo: if richard has the cycles for that, then that'd be great
15:36:32 <sysrqb> ah, i see. perfect
15:37:53 <PieroV> About the microtasks bug: I received a needinfo from Olli Pettay. They ask if I can investigate a little bit
15:38:22 <sysrqb> this is the optimization that we backed out?
15:38:35 <PieroV> Yep
15:38:47 <richard> hmm, you provided a test case in the ticket didn't you?
15:39:06 <richard> can they not repro it?
15:39:11 <PieroV> Yep, we somebody provided it in our ticket when it was still open
15:39:54 <GeKo> they can repro
15:40:10 <PieroV> Yeah, they could repro, but the assignee also asked how they can build Firefox with Mingw
15:40:48 <sysrqb> that sounds like a question for tom
15:40:59 <richard> yeah that was my thought as well
15:41:32 <boklm> I think it's possible to build with Mingw in taskcluster/try
15:41:37 <sysrqb> i need to ping him this week about getting try access for PieroV and aguestuser, anyway
15:41:46 <sysrqb> so I'll ask him to help with this bug, too
15:42:20 <sysrqb> boklm: yeah, it is
15:43:25 <PieroV> Should I needinfo him on the ticket?
15:43:56 <sysrqb> possibly, i'll read the last comment on the bug
15:44:34 <GeKo> PieroV: please do
15:44:44 <GeKo> tjr is our best bet here
15:45:11 <PieroV> Okay
15:45:28 <GeKo> as he did a lot of the mingw integration into mozilla's taskcluster/build system
15:46:14 <sysrqb> PieroV: what's the buzilla bug number?
15:46:21 <PieroV> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1744719
15:46:24 <sysrqb> thanks
15:47:20 <sysrqb> okay, yes, please needinfo tom@mozilla.com
15:47:31 <sysrqb> it seems they did not reproduce it
15:47:51 <sysrqb> but getting a mingw build is good first step
15:47:52 <PieroV> On comment 9
15:48:01 <PieroV> «oh, nm, happens with FF too.»
15:48:01 <GeKo> sysrqb: they did
15:49:00 <PieroV> I also reproduced it with Mozilla nightly builds
15:49:06 <GeKo> yeah
15:49:09 <sysrqb> i'm not sure, i interpretted comment#9 as meaning he re-read the bug's description where Pier said it happens with only Firefox, too
15:49:33 <sysrqb> but that could be wrong
15:49:51 <sysrqb> i'm just surprised he'd reproduce but then ask how to get a mingw build
15:50:10 <richard> perhaps he downloaded a mingw build to test
15:50:11 <GeKo> because he took the tasklcuster binaries
15:50:20 <richard> from their build infra
15:50:24 <GeKo> but does not know how to build?
15:50:25 <GeKo> yes
15:50:40 <sysrqb> okay, that could be, doesn't really matter
15:50:53 <sysrqb> tom can help him there
15:51:11 <GeKo> yes
15:52:31 <sysrqb> okay, i believe that covers everything for today
15:52:39 <donuts> one quick housekeeping thing
15:52:42 <sysrqb> any final comments/questions?
15:52:46 <sysrqb> yes, please
15:52:54 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> One quick question on my end too
15:52:58 <donuts> we now have a team account for figma and I've transferred all the product design files across
15:53:11 <donuts> previous links may or may not work, depending on how clever figma is
15:53:39 <donuts> but I've sent invites to the emails previously used by richard + sysrqb
15:53:54 <donuts> benefit being if you accept those invites, you should be able to see _all_ ux team design files
15:53:55 * sysrqb got it, thanks
15:54:01 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> boklm, are you planning to review the ARM patch only, or also the POWER patch?  Wasn't sure what the plans were.
15:54:05 <donuts> rather than have to save links to the individual ones :P
15:54:14 <sysrqb> donuts: thank you!
15:54:19 <donuts> np, thanks!
15:54:30 <boklm> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: if both are ready, I can look at both
15:54:53 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> boklm, yes, both are ready from my point of view
15:54:54 <boklm> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: is there one you suggest looking at first?
15:55:12 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> POWER depends on ARM, so look at ARM first
15:55:25 <boklm> ok, I will do that, thanks
15:55:41 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> great, thank you :)
15:56:38 <aguestuser> sysqrb re: "any final comments/questions" -- curious how i should go about onboarding. current plan -- build android stuff, look at test and things other people are doing, wait to hear more. sound right?
15:57:00 <sysrqb> aguestuser: yes, great question, let's chat after this meeting in #tor-dev
15:57:09 <aguestuser> +1
15:58:22 <sysrqb> For future reference, please add discussion items in the Discussions section, or *bold* items in your personal status
15:58:42 <PieroV> Okay, will do
15:59:02 <sysrqb> thanks everyone! have a great week
15:59:07 <sysrqb> #endmeeting