16:59:17 <donuts> #startmeeting ux weekly sync
16:59:17 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jan 11 16:59:17 2022 UTC.  The chair is donuts. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:59:17 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:59:23 <championquizzer> hello! o/
16:59:29 <nah> hi there
16:59:36 <Shreya[m]> hii o/
16:59:44 <donuts> hey championquizzer! sorry about the time, I didn't think you'd be able to make it
16:59:49 <donuts> hi shreya!
16:59:58 <donuts> new year, new pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-ux-team-2022-keep
17:00:33 <donuts> let's give it a couple of minutes for anyone else to arrive :)
17:00:35 <championquizzer> donuts: is alright!
17:01:17 <donuts> championquizzer: in future we can add any Qs to the pad about your report, and we can catch up separately at a time that works better for you?
17:01:42 <donuts> or not, whatever you prefer ^^
17:02:24 <championquizzer> donuts: wfm and i will try to attend the meetings as well :)
17:02:44 <donuts> championquizzer <3
17:02:58 <donuts> okay let's get started...
17:03:30 <donuts> In terms of announcements, Tor Browser 11.0.4 for desktop should be released within days, if not hours
17:03:48 <donuts> we're also expecting a new Alpha for TBA 11 soon too
17:04:01 <Shreya[m]> :O
17:04:37 <donuts> Lastly, as you all know (since you turned up at the right time!) we're restarting weekly team meetings \o/
17:05:06 <donuts> and since we have a new team-member starting tomorrow in a new time-zone, we've pushed our regular timeslot back to 1700 UTC too
17:05:22 <nah> \o/
17:05:35 <Shreya[m]> yayy!
17:06:29 <donuts> Also: we're going to try and get into the habit of adding any UX things we may be working on to the pad each week too
17:06:46 <donuts> I've added a new section for that called "Weekly Planning"
17:07:29 <donuts> let's take a few minutes to update our sections (looks like nah's already done it!)
17:07:51 <donuts> if there's anything you'd like to discuss, please bold your item under weekly planning – or add it to the end of the agenda
17:13:00 <donuts> okay, I think I'm done
17:13:02 <donuts> you good nah?
17:13:08 <nah> yep
17:13:11 <nah> thank you
17:13:33 <donuts> looks like championquizzer's adding some things, tyvm for doing that!
17:13:43 <championquizzer> i'm done too!
17:14:07 <donuts> great!
17:14:37 <donuts> I'm going to shuffle things around in the agenda slightly
17:14:54 <donuts> because item 3. "Q4 Roadmap actualizing" only needs nah and I
17:15:21 <nah> alright
17:15:26 <donuts> so let's take a look at championquizzer's monthly status report first :)
17:15:31 <championquizzer> sure
17:15:33 <donuts> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2022-January/003254.html
17:16:15 <championquizzer> december was mostly spent fighting censorship in .ru :)
17:16:31 <nah> 1521 RT Tickets - How to use Tor Bridges in Russia. <--!!!
17:16:36 <donuts> !!!!!
17:16:50 <donuts> great job championquizzer and the community team!
17:17:22 <championquizzer> thanks! this has been a great team effort
17:17:26 <donuts> 100%
17:17:36 <nah> yep, great job!
17:17:51 <nah> i saw you're planning to move .ru support to a telegram channel
17:18:02 <donuts> everything else in the status report looks as expected – a few TB11 tickets that should be resolved now
17:18:24 <championquizzer> nah: yeah! and nina13[m] will be working on it
17:18:35 <donuts> one thing to watch out for is that I don't think there's a fix for the MacOS startup issue yet – but I'll quickly doublecheck
17:19:11 <donuts> oh nvm, not only is there a fix – apparently I tested it before the break
17:19:16 * donuts still has holiday brain
17:19:31 <donuts> I'll find out what the plan is for getting it into a release
17:19:37 <donuts> ticket, for reference: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40679
17:20:15 <championquizzer> right. most of the frontdesk tickets was just about asking the users to update to TB 11.0.3 (which resolved a bunch of issues)
17:20:22 <nah> championquizzer: that's exciting! i'm interested to know (later) if it will change the numbers on RT support. hope it makes easier :)
17:20:59 <donuts> related to telegram, I also created a ticket to do a UX review and suggest improvements for the bridge bot in Dec
17:21:02 <donuts> hopefully we can do that soon
17:21:06 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/issues/46
17:21:08 <championquizzer> nah: totally, i'm excited about this too :)
17:21:17 <donuts> +1!
17:21:32 <championquizzer> thanks, donuts
17:22:46 <donuts> okay, anything else on the subject of user support or are we all good?
17:22:51 <championquizzer> one important feedback for the ux team here i guess is that a lot of users are confused when we share bridge lines and ask them to paste it into their TB config
17:23:07 <donuts> yep, hopefully looking into that as part of the S96 work
17:23:12 <donuts> there's a ticket open in applications for it somewhere
17:23:34 <donuts> let me dig it up, and then if you have any specifics you can add them there?
17:24:14 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40552
17:25:06 <championquizzer> it's really about issues with formatting and such, for example
17:25:25 <championquizzer> sometimes the email client breaks the bridge lines
17:25:42 <donuts> right, gotcha
17:25:57 <championquizzer> but i will add specific cases on the ticket in the future! thanks
17:26:09 <donuts> are these bridge lines that are manually distributed by email, or from bridges@, or both?
17:26:19 <donuts> (that the formatting breaks on?)
17:26:37 <donuts> there was a recent formatting update to bridges@ too
17:27:06 <championquizzer> both. actually i think it's sometimes on the user's end
17:27:12 <donuts> one thing the above ticket doesn't capture is that I'd _love_ to have some kind of basic validation after inputting
17:27:20 <donuts> with some kind of error message
17:27:42 <donuts> the new designs have the input fields hidden behind modals so that can be accomplished
17:27:52 <donuts> https://www.figma.com/file/Vsh1aPOZGneDX4Zp27mjsK/torconnect?node-id=531%3A2047
17:28:09 <donuts> but emphasis on basic
17:28:27 <donuts> I'm not sure if we can do much more than formatting + connection errors
17:29:09 <nah> maybe one-line thing explaining how a bridge line should look like
17:29:40 <nah> i mean, if you received a bridge by email see if the lines broke
17:29:40 <championquizzer> nah: right. we did exactly this (and made a RT template out of it)
17:30:03 <nah> adding bridge lines for new tor users can be very tricky
17:30:10 <donuts> I'm thinking about really nice credit card input fields
17:30:24 <donuts> like, the kind that explain exactly what to do
17:30:25 <nah> even ppl that already use tor - but don't need to use bridges - get confused
17:30:36 <nah> donuts, yes!
17:30:55 <donuts> I'll work on some concepts and share it in the ticket, will loop you both in for review too!
17:31:09 <nah> thanks, donuts!
17:31:22 <championquizzer> ty, donuts!
17:31:26 <donuts> thanks both!
17:32:14 <donuts> okay championquizzer, feel free to continue to lurk or quietly slip away – tyvm again for coming when it's so late ^^
17:32:56 <championquizzer> no problem! re. report i don't have any other discussion points but lmk if you have any questions :)
17:32:56 <donuts> next up in the agenda: "Reading morning (the one mentioned on FigJam)"
17:33:10 <nah> ty, championquizzer!
17:33:12 <Shreya[m]> reading!!
17:33:15 <donuts> will do, thanks championquizzer!
17:33:17 <nah> reading morning \o/
17:33:22 <nah> book club
17:33:27 <Shreya[m]> yess
17:33:42 <donuts> 👏 reading 👏 morning
17:34:06 <nah> haha
17:34:13 <donuts> so Nah and I keep a reading list on the UX Planning board of mostly (but not exclusively) Privacy UX focussed papers
17:34:24 <donuts> handy link: https://www.figma.com/file/n4ETd0cUkcfj3KyclJQnt3/UX-Team-Planning?node-id=0%3A1
17:34:39 <donuts> and we (or at least I) never have the time to properly read things
17:35:04 <Shreya[m]> haha
17:35:06 <donuts> so let's think about setting aside some dedicated reading time to do it!
17:35:10 <gaba> great!
17:35:16 <donuts> but the question is... how
17:35:51 <donuts> for frequency, a few hours (i.e. one morning) a month would probably work
17:36:06 <donuts> that we pause other UX work on
17:36:33 <donuts> any suggestions?
17:36:38 <nah> a monthly reading morning sounds good to me
17:37:22 <Shreya[m]> I will love any time I get to spend with the team! :D
17:37:35 <donuts> great, shall we try and pick a day where we have the fewest meetings?
17:37:42 <donuts> +1 Shreya[m]! <3
17:37:48 <donuts> maybe Mondays?
17:38:05 <donuts> like the first monday of each month?
17:38:24 <donuts> and then we can discuss any reading the following day at the team meeting maybe
17:38:52 <Shreya[m]> oooh that sounds cool
17:39:08 * nah having a quick look in her calendar
17:40:36 <nah> it seems that tuesdays are still the most free day in the calendar
17:41:18 <nah> there are some meetings on monday, like community. but i guess i could skip the reading to join them for a bit
17:41:44 <nah> s/in the calendar/in my calendar
17:41:45 <nah> sorry
17:41:48 <donuts> yeah I think it's just sponsor 96 on tues, monday does have community + browser team meetings though
17:42:49 <donuts> okay let's try Tuesday and see how it goes!
17:43:13 <donuts> our first reading morning will be on Feb 1st then 🎉
17:43:21 <nah> \o/
17:43:30 * donuts checks the agenda...
17:43:52 <donuts> okay we've just got the "Q4 Roadmap actualizing" left
17:44:12 <donuts> this might run over, do you have anything else on in 15 mins nah?
17:44:30 <nah> nop, i'm fine
17:44:34 <nah> let's do it
17:44:42 <donuts> I was thinking we could end this meeting and pick it back up in #tor-ux?
17:44:57 <nah> sounds good!
17:45:04 <donuts> awesome!
17:45:12 <donuts> thanks for coming everyone!
17:45:18 <Shreya[m]> byee have a great day!
17:45:22 <nah> thank you all!
17:45:22 <championquizzer> thanks all! o/
17:45:27 <donuts> looking forward to seeing you all again at the same time next week o/
17:45:42 <donuts> #endmeeting