14:59:34 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser weekly meeting 18 January 2022
14:59:34 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jan 18 14:59:34 2022 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:59:34 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:59:41 <sysrqb> Hello everyone, and welcome!
14:59:42 <PieroV> o/
15:00:03 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos__> Hi!
15:00:11 <donuts> o/
15:00:13 <richard> o/
15:00:46 <GeKo> oh, and i thought richard was doing the meeting today and trying beforehandd... :)
15:00:56 <sysrqb> surprise! :)
15:01:00 <richard> I was, but plans change ;)
15:01:03 <boklm> o/
15:01:36 <sysrqb> Pad, as usual: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:03:00 <sysrqb> aguestuser: i hope today is your last day being sick :/
15:03:08 <sysrqb> at least (?) it happened over a holiday weekend (?)
15:03:51 <GeKo> richard: no worries, there will be many more meeting to be run :)
15:05:19 <sysrqb> alright, i think we can get started even though some people are still updating the pad
15:06:02 <sysrqb> as GeKo and richard were foreshadowing, richard will actually be running this meeting - and future meetings
15:06:28 <richard> any last words sysrqb? :D
15:06:36 <GeKo> lol
15:06:39 <sysrqb> i'm happy to say i'm handing tor browser off to them, and i'll be transitioning to concentrating on the new vpn work
15:06:46 <donuts> \o/
15:06:52 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos__> Congrats on your promotion richard!  :)
15:06:52 <GeKo> awesome!
15:06:56 <sysrqb> but there's a lot of transitioning to do over the next few weeks
15:07:04 <sysrqb> so i'll be lurking for a while
15:07:09 <donuts> congrats richard!
15:07:17 <richard> thank you thank you
15:07:19 <PieroV> Congrats!
15:07:20 <GeKo> richard: good luck
15:07:24 <GeKo> you know
15:07:27 <sysrqb> ha.
15:07:37 <GeKo> :D
15:07:38 <sysrqb> GeKo: i think that may be bad luck. careful with the phrase :)
15:07:44 <GeKo> hush
15:07:52 <richard> I'm sure it's fine, so far the list of responsibilities seems finite so i'm not too worried
15:08:10 <donuts> "good hunting"
15:08:12 <sysrqb> it'll be great
15:08:20 <sysrqb> no worries'
15:08:32 <donuts> well there are a finite number of browsers for sure
15:08:40 <richard> hmm
15:08:43 <sysrqb> for sure.
15:08:45 <richard> well regardless
15:08:45 <GeKo> and finite number of bugs
15:09:24 <sysrqb> i hope that's true
15:09:42 <richard> it seems like we don't have any bolded items as of yet for this week
15:09:44 <boklm> and a finite number of hours per day
15:10:23 <richard> boklm: is there anything intractable blocking the 11.5a2 release?
15:11:29 <boklm> yes, I have some issue to do the .mar signing, I'm seeing with sysrqb and GeKo to fix that and then can finish releasing
15:11:48 <richard> okay
15:12:29 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos__> boklm, should I infer that's also blocking the review of the ARM/POWER MR's?
15:12:31 <sysrqb> boklm: did i miss a message from you womehere?
15:12:38 <sysrqb> *somewhere
15:12:45 <sysrqb> ah, i seem
15:12:53 <richard> PieroV: once we're done with the patch reorder and whatever nits re remaining on your open MRs, I'd like you start work on tor-browser#40774
15:13:00 <sysrqb> email. i'll look at it asap
15:13:17 <PieroV> Okay
15:13:22 <boklm> thanks
15:13:59 <richard> (I'll be working on #40773 in tandem)
15:14:17 <boklm> Jeremy_Rand_Talos__: yes, I plan to do the review after finishing publishing the release
15:14:35 <richard> I'm sure there will be at least some changes and back and forth regarding the UX design to the about:preferences
15:14:44 <richard> in terms of the realities of implementation
15:14:48 <donuts> yep
15:15:00 <richard> donuts tends to be pretty easy to work with though
15:15:02 <donuts> also the 3 x modals are still pending complete designs
15:15:03 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos__> boklm, ok, thanks, no worries
15:15:07 <donuts> ha good to know
15:15:40 <donuts> I'm creating new tickets to track design changes as we speak, will cross-link them to the relevant dev tickets
15:16:31 <sysrqb> (richard: i added another discussion item, just fyi)
15:16:40 <richard> PieroV: I've been using tor-browser#40658 as a sort of root
15:16:52 <richard> root dev ticket that most of the other tickets can reached though, if that helps
15:16:57 <richard> sysrqb: ok let's see
15:17:32 <richard> new obfsproxy?
15:18:05 <sysrqb> yeah
15:18:35 <sysrqb> we should get that into nightlies this week, and plan on backporting to stable for the next release
15:19:01 <GeKo> oh, re backporting
15:19:09 <sysrqb> i had a chat with cohosh and arma2 about it on...friday (?)
15:19:13 <GeKo> richard: you should think how you want to track the backports
15:19:33 <GeKo> there is a ton on alpha right now that might be or might not be backportable
15:19:58 <GeKo> thinking about some labeling and keeping track would be good
15:20:02 <GeKo> i guess
15:20:04 <richard> hmm ok how are we tracking these things?
15:20:18 <richard> ah ok
15:20:30 <sysrqb> on trac, we used "tbb-backport" and "tbb-backported" labels
15:20:33 <GeKo> we used to have a keyword, tbb-backport
15:20:36 <GeKo> yeah
15:20:48 <sysrqb> when we moved to gitlab, we started using the Backport label
15:21:12 <gaba> network team has a backport label
15:21:14 <gaba> yes
15:21:25 <sysrqb> but i never really liked it because i couldn't easily query which MRs we already backported
15:21:34 <sysrqb> but you may have more luck with it
15:21:42 <richard> argh gitlab
15:21:51 <GeKo> that was one reason for the tbb-backported label back then
15:22:01 <sysrqb> yeah
15:22:06 <GeKo> but, not sure what would be best now
15:22:09 <boklm> it seems the tbb-backport and tbb-backported labels still exist
15:22:11 <richard> ok I'l update my todo for this week to detangle tracking these things
15:22:21 <gaba> you could have the mr related to a ticket and then close the ticket when is done
15:22:29 <gaba> richard: we can talk about it in our next sync
15:23:03 <richard> yeah that was my initial thought, jsut create a ticket when we add something that may need to be backproted
15:23:33 <richard> boklm: do you have time this week to see about getting the new obfs4proxy into nightly?
15:23:38 <boklm> for some of the issue we already know we want to backport, we can also backport them directly to the maint-11.0 branch (without waiting for the release)
15:25:10 <boklm> richard: I have other things on my todo list, but I can move obfs4proxy before them if we need it soon
15:25:56 <sysrqb> it's a simple patch, so I can pick that up, too
15:26:08 <boklm> ok
15:26:12 <sysrqb> or maybe Pier can write a tor-browser-build patch
15:26:25 <sysrqb> could be a good experience
15:26:28 <richard> ah that's a better plan
15:26:29 <boklm> I can review it
15:26:41 <PieroV> I can try if you want
15:26:44 <richard> ok let's plan for PieroV to write the patch and boklm review
15:27:00 <richard> always good to get that tor-browser-build experience in :D
15:27:05 <sysrqb> :)
15:28:20 <richard> ok i don't think I have anything else here
15:28:23 <sysrqb> (is donuts purple on the pad?)
15:28:32 <richard> no i'm purp
15:28:38 <sysrqb> oh, you!
15:28:39 <donuts> I'm teal today apparently
15:28:43 <PieroV> I am dark purple
15:29:07 <PieroV> I added a pair of items in the discussion section
15:29:08 <richard> sysrqb: what's the deal with the Linux font tickets under *Discussion*
15:29:08 <sysrqb> ah, PieroV added two more discussion items
15:29:39 <PieroV> One is for fonts.conf, a pair of users (an anonymous and Thorin) asked if we can remove <dir>fonts</dir> from fonts.conf on Linux
15:29:43 <sysrqb> richard: i think those are resolved now
15:30:10 <PieroV> Do you know of any reason for which we should keep it, or can we just remove it?
15:30:18 <sysrqb> richard: so, i think we only have the wayland dependency remaining
15:30:19 <PieroV> It seems to me that everything continues working as expected
15:30:32 <richard> if it's unneeded then i would say get rid of it, but I don't have any exp with how our font bundling works
15:30:57 <PieroV> Fonts in that directory are already picked as bundled by Firefox
15:31:35 <richard> ah so to have it in the fonts.conf is redundant/unneeded?
15:31:35 <boklm> the directory is known by firefox in some other way?
15:31:54 <PieroV> richard: yeah, it is
15:32:11 <PieroV> boklm: yes, it is hardcoded in the fonts code
15:33:01 <richard> do we have a test in the tor-browser-bundle-testsuite verifying the bundled fonts somehow?
15:33:13 <PieroV> IIRC we check for a pref
15:33:23 <PieroV> But only to check that they are enabled
15:33:47 <PieroV> We could copy some font fingerprinting/enumerating code
15:35:21 <richard> ok, can you create a ticket to do just that and then we can see about messing with the font bundling configs?
15:35:36 <richard> and finally what do you mean by cleaning 000-tor-browser.js ?
15:35:38 <PieroV> Sounds great
15:36:17 <PieroV> While I was looking on 000-tor-browser.js, I found a pref that is a workaround for https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1203093
15:36:28 <sysrqb> i think this is the place where Firefox looks for fonts/: https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/gfx/thebes/gfxFT2FontList.cpp#1509
15:36:39 <PieroV> I think that since I am splitting and moving it, I could also remove old stuff
15:36:55 <PieroV> Like that pref, which seems not needed anymore (although the bug is still open in Bugzilla)
15:37:10 <richard> ah I see
15:37:12 <PieroV> Is there any other stuff you know that should be removed?
15:37:53 <PieroV> sysrqb: correct, I meant that
15:38:30 <richard> sysrqb: dope
15:39:00 <richard> PieroV: how about we do a pass on the prefs after we finish the patch shuffle/reorg
15:39:23 <richard> just so that we're not doing too much work in one merge request
15:39:31 <PieroV> okay, that works for me
15:39:52 <richard> so I guess also create an issue to do a pref audit that we can follow up on
15:40:04 <GeKo> sounds good
15:40:15 <aguestuser> o/ hi all. sorry late. in sickness thought 15 UTC was 12pm EST (and meeting was 1 hour and 20 minutes from now)
15:40:33 <richard> no worries
15:41:05 <aguestuser> was popping in to announce i *did* in fact test positive but have been getting better. today likely last sick day. back in full for onboarding tomorrow.
15:41:22 <aguestuser> (reading up now, sorry for interruption!)
15:41:34 <donuts> oh wow, hope you feel better soon aguestuser!
15:41:48 <richard> we were about to wrap up, do you have anything pressing?
15:41:54 <donuts> glad to hear you're on the mend :)
15:42:01 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos__> aguestuser, wishing you a speedy recovery
15:42:03 <richard> hey don't worry about it, if you have to sleep you ahve to sleep
15:45:36 <sysrqb> richard: anything else you want to discuss?
15:46:06 <richard> I do not, aguestuser if anything comes up feel free to ping me offline
15:46:39 <sysrqb> let me know if/when i should end the meeting :)
15:46:46 <richard> alright let's do it
15:46:51 <sysrqb> alright
15:47:21 <sysrqb> thanks everyone! and richard: enjoy! :)
15:47:25 <sysrqb> #endmeeting