18:11:10 <richard> #startmeeting Tor Browser Release Meeting 2022-02-22
18:11:10 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Feb 22 18:11:10 2022 UTC.  The chair is richard. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:11:10 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:11:27 <richard> hello this is the tor-browser release meeting and we definitely didn't forget to turn on the bot
18:11:40 <PieroV> https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep
18:12:20 <PieroV> We don't have an agenda, though
18:12:22 <donuts> ty PieroV
18:12:32 <donuts> agenda: releases
18:13:09 <richard> given the open question around content and the delay before sending the http background request (re tor-browser!256)
18:13:25 <richard> perhaps we should let it bake in alpha before merging to 11.0.8
18:13:37 <richard> as 11.0.7 is scheduled for rebasing next week
18:14:30 <PieroV> tor-browser!256 can live with HTTPS-E, but the aim is to accompany it with tor-browser#40458 and remove HTTPS-E then
18:14:37 <donuts> are 11.5a4 and 11.0.7 desktop only, or desktop and android, or what?
18:14:42 <PieroV> I don't know if you want to take them together
18:14:44 <donuts> (I've lost track)
18:14:55 <PieroV> 11.5a4 is already out afaik
18:15:18 <PieroV> yep, released February 18
18:15:20 <donuts> sorry I meant a5
18:15:31 <richard> 11.5a5 desktop will be the week following 11.0.7
18:16:06 <donuts> +1 for letting anything related to https-only bake a while
18:16:11 <donuts> if we break anything that would be bad
18:16:21 <richard> my thoughts exactly
18:16:54 <PieroV> !256 alone is flipping a preference on
18:17:03 <PieroV> and it could be turned off in the preferences
18:17:22 <PieroV> so, having it earlier means more time to test it before a stable
18:17:34 <richard> for stable we may want to remove that pref entirely
18:17:38 <richard> or rather
18:17:46 <richard> the user accessible toggle in about:preferences
18:17:54 <richard> (similar to how we removed the network settings)
18:18:12 <PieroV> it's also in settings, at the moment
18:18:24 <PieroV> not only in about:config
18:18:27 <donuts> why would we remove it, sorry?
18:18:41 <richard> so casual users don't turn it off vOv
18:18:45 <PieroV> as a lesson learned from torbutton I think :)
18:18:49 <donuts> ha I see
18:18:58 <donuts> hrm
18:19:11 <richard> but i would leave that to UX to decide I think
18:19:23 <donuts> yeah
18:19:30 <sysrqb> this seems like a large change for backporting
18:19:35 <donuts> there's a bunch of stuff we don't hide, that we probably could if we started going down that path
18:19:50 <sysrqb> i didn't look at the issue recently, but is there a reason to expidite it?
18:20:05 <sysrqb> 11.5 should become stable within the next few months, anyway
18:20:36 <richard> that is a good point
18:20:52 <richard> i think the sense of urgency was coming from arthuredelstein's direction regarding the feature
18:21:08 <donuts> yep, isa was also keen to see this fixed sooner rather than later
18:21:12 <richard> mmhm
18:21:35 <donuts> but I can chat to her about it in our 1:1 this week
18:22:00 <sysrqb> we usually let a large change like this bake in alpha, and let it ride the train to stable
18:22:08 <donuts> yeah
18:22:29 <richard> makes sense to me
18:22:34 <donuts> the next question will be "when will 11.5 land"
18:22:40 <sysrqb> and, in this casem that is usually in Apriol/May
18:22:44 <sysrqb> yeah
18:22:45 <donuts> atm I've been saying mid-year
18:22:56 <donuts> we also need to do a version of connection assist on android too
18:23:30 <sysrqb> shoudl should talk about that :)
18:23:39 <sysrqb> err. *we should talk about that
18:23:47 <donuts> yep, maybe in the next S96?
18:24:26 <sysrqb> i thought the general plan was implementing S96-things on Android as part of S101
18:24:40 <richard> (what is the usual heuristic for when the N.5 release goes out? just 6 months out/from the previous major ESR?)
18:24:41 <sysrqb> and not duplicating the implementation/effort on two apps
18:24:49 <sysrqb> richard: yeah
18:25:09 <richard> ok
18:25:13 <donuts> sysrqb: oh you may have better info than me on that front, that would be fantastic if so
18:25:20 <donuts> I'm just going by the original contract
18:25:47 <sysrqb> donuts: ah, i see. :) yeah, that was my plan
18:25:55 <sysrqb> aguestuser may want to add some functionality
18:26:09 <donuts> yeah, I figured we could do a review at some point in the year anyway (of missing features)
18:26:15 <sysrqb> but i don't believe we should spend too much time on Android Tor Browser right now
18:26:25 <donuts> yep, makes sense
18:26:37 <donuts> I'll stick to throwing bugs aguestuser's way for now :)
18:26:39 <richard> yeah aguestuser wsa chomping at the bit for some non rebase dev work :3
18:26:47 <sysrqb> yeah
18:27:12 <PieroV> Anything else for release?
18:27:18 <donuts> tor browser
18:27:28 <PieroV> are we integrating S30/S96 work?
18:27:37 <PieroV> in next alpha
18:28:02 <donuts> I'd like to do a round or two of testing/feedback on the nightly first if possible
18:28:18 <donuts> there are likely some obvious design amends needing ironed out first
18:28:35 <donuts> and it's a big feature
18:28:43 <richard> i've planning/hoping to get the censorhip circumvention flow into nightly late this week/early next
18:29:18 <donuts> I also need to install and run the build I got on Friday
18:29:29 <richard> so if there's any problems we can revert before the next alpha goes out
18:29:43 <PieroV> sounds good to me
18:29:52 <PieroV> I'll need to fix the bridges for sure
18:30:05 <PieroV> because at the moment it's still displaying the first line
18:30:08 <donuts> so donuts tests build -> design feedback -> nightlies -> more feedback -> alpha when it feels more stable
18:30:41 <PieroV> okay, let me know if you need also a Windows build
18:30:57 <donuts> this house has no windows D:
18:31:17 <donuts> (thank you, mac is fine)
18:31:22 <richard> donuts: sounds right, kind of a shame there's not a clean way to have something in Nightly but not in a subsequent Alpha w/o reverting
18:31:32 <donuts> ah I didn't realize that
18:31:34 <richard> but that's a problem fo ranother time
18:31:37 <PieroV> yeah, that's why I was asking
18:31:45 <donuts> in that case best hold off on doing anything until I've ran the current build for a few days
18:32:50 <richard> no worries there, I suspect I need to do another round of reviews before we merge into alpha/nightly
18:35:31 <sysrqb> richard: if you only want it in Nightly, then you *could* create patch files and only include/apply them in Nightly builds
18:35:54 <sysrqb> but it is not very clean
18:35:59 <richard> sysrqb: ugh yeah that would work
18:36:26 <PieroV> but then you'd have to revert from tor-browser-build
18:36:30 <donuts> I've taken some very terse notes in the pad
18:36:42 <sysrqb> PieroV: yep
18:36:48 <richard> or we could just create a nightly FF branch and point nightly to that one
18:36:59 <richard> which feels more fun than maintaining patch files
18:37:54 <sysrqb> richard: yeah, just more overhead in remembering how they two branches should be in-sync/out-of-sync
18:38:23 <sysrqb> but definitely easier for landing patches for testing
18:38:58 <richard> ok is there anything else outstanding
18:39:02 <richard> (apart from this team ;) )
18:39:04 <richard> lolol
18:39:09 <PieroV> lol
18:39:17 <PieroV> nothing from me
18:39:19 <donuts> nothing from me, thank you
18:40:06 <richard> alright then i'll call it
18:40:10 <richard> #endmeeting