16:59:31 <donuts> #startmeeting UX Team Weekly Meeting
16:59:31 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Mar  8 16:59:31 2022 UTC.  The chair is donuts. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:59:31 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:59:37 <championquizzer> hello o/
16:59:40 <donuts> hello everyone 👋
16:59:54 <nicob> hi o/
17:00:04 <donuts> let's get the team meeting started
17:00:06 <donuts> nah is afk this week
17:00:23 <donuts> as always, the pad is here: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-ux-team-2022-keep
17:00:34 <donuts> please add anything extra to the agenda that you'd like to discuss
17:01:08 <donuts> in terms of announcements, there's been one release in the past week:
17:01:13 <donuts> Tor Browser 11.5a5 for Android
17:01:18 <donuts> (https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-115a5/)
17:01:32 <donuts> championquizzer: I think one of the file bugs is potentially fixed in that alpha?
17:01:36 * donuts checks release notes...
17:01:45 <donuts> "Fix problem preventing file downloads on Android Q and above"
17:01:47 <championquizzer> yep, tested the alpha release
17:01:52 <donuts> how's it looking?
17:01:58 <championquizzer> no problems so far :)
17:02:07 <donuts> lovely, that's what we like to hear :)
17:02:11 <championquizzer> \o/
17:02:36 <donuts> we should be getting new releases for desktop this and next week too
17:03:07 <donuts> one thing worth noting is that we're no longer going to be syncing up desktop and android releases together due to the admin involved, and instead the releases will sort of leapfrog each other
17:03:25 <donuts> (applications have been calling it "interleaving releases")
17:03:57 <donuts> I say "no longer", but we haven't had them in sync since late Q3 last year
17:04:31 <donuts> it does raise the question "what do we do about version numbers" though, which is something richard is having a think about
17:04:45 <championquizzer> so this week we are gonna see 11.5a6 and 11.0.7 both desktop, right?
17:05:14 <championquizzer> and i believe we are expecting some critical security updates as well
17:05:17 <donuts> I think that was the plan, there may be slight delays
17:05:23 <championquizzer> ack
17:05:31 <donuts> yep, the security fixes should be present in both releases iirc
17:06:23 <donuts> we may also do an extra release next week due to a bug with the V3 onion auth dialogue that's just been fixed (although missed the build for 11.0.7)
17:06:53 <championquizzer> ah, yes ..saw that bug. nice!
17:07:22 <donuts> okay let's quickly fill out our weekly planning sections of the pad
17:07:44 <donuts> Please remember to highlight anything you'd like to discuss below in **bold**
17:08:15 <donuts> and review whatever's assigned to you in the team kanban to make sure it's in the right column and assigned to the right person
17:08:15 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards?scope=all&label_name[]=UX%20Team
17:08:41 <championquizzer> actually talking about that bug, reminded me of this: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/31672
17:09:43 <donuts> yeah, atm you have to authenticate with orbot on mobile instead
17:09:53 <championquizzer> yep
17:10:20 <donuts> a fun thing to do is to click the "platform parity" label and see the full list lol
17:10:49 <donuts> once we're clear of critical bugs on Android we can start to take a look at this list, a lot of it will probably "happen" on the VPN client instead though
17:11:04 <championquizzer> TIL
17:11:38 <championquizzer> sounds good!
17:11:41 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/issues?label_name%5B%5D=Platform+Parity
17:11:43 <donuts> (for ref)
17:11:59 <donuts> how are you doing nicob? all done?
17:12:06 <nicob> just about yep
17:12:15 <donuts> cool no rush
17:12:58 <nicob> ok yeah I'm good now!
17:13:07 <donuts> lovely
17:13:12 * donuts checks the pad...
17:13:36 <donuts> I have one thing in bold
17:13:51 <donuts> "Designed mockup for about:rulesets (HTTPS-E deprecation)"
17:13:56 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40458#note_2784394
17:14:35 <donuts> Pierov has been working on enabling HTTPS-Only mode in TB, as part of that work we needed to figure out a replacement for SecureDrop's tor.onion redirects
17:15:45 <donuts> to do so he's had to create a new (Firefox native, i.e. proton) UI to manage the rulesets that were previously editable via the HTTPS-Everywhere browser extension
17:16:10 <donuts> the current plan is to host this UI on a new hidden config screen
17:16:24 <donuts> (either about:rulesets or about:onionaliases)
17:17:20 <donuts> this should get shipped alongside the switch to HTTPS-Only mode in 11.5, and we'll probably need to update any relevant documentation too
17:17:36 <donuts> that's the end of my update on that subject :)
17:17:50 <championquizzer> awesome
17:19:04 <donuts> everything good with you nicob? anything you want to discuss?
17:19:16 <donuts> or shall I hand the floor over to championquizzer?
17:19:55 <nicob> everything good over here! I do have a round of connection icon variations for review ready - but not sure if that's the best use of time here or if I should just ping you later for that?
17:20:46 <donuts> would you like to post them in the ticket?
17:20:59 <donuts> btw I loved your recap, it was excellent!
17:21:15 <nicob> they are in the ticket in that process piece - but I'll call it out separately!
17:21:23 <donuts> oh gotcha! sorry
17:21:38 <nicob> oh all good, I didn't make a note of it there.
17:21:56 <donuts> I'll take a look first and we can chat through later :)
17:22:05 <donuts> championquizzer: over to you!
17:22:10 <donuts> (thanks nicob)
17:22:12 <nicob> 👍
17:22:12 <championquizzer> thanks
17:22:31 <championquizzer> the user support report for feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2022-March/003310.html
17:23:19 <championquizzer> again, 'how to use Tor bridges in .ru' takes the top spot
17:23:47 <championquizzer> we had a lot of tickets on cdr.link (our telegram support channel) as well
17:24:31 <championquizzer> we also witnessed a rise in number of requests for private bridges (unlisted obfs4)
17:24:57 <championquizzer> which always results in some troubleshooting with the users :)
17:25:36 <donuts> is that due to distributed bridges getting blocked, do you think?
17:25:58 <championquizzer> partly yes
17:27:16 <donuts> interesting
17:27:38 <championquizzer> oh, since gettor is giving out 11.0.4 we were hitting the 'missing features on macos' bug a lot
17:28:04 <championquizzer> i was trying to see whether the issue persists if users update to 11.0.6
17:28:18 <championquizzer> good news: none reported of the issue once updating to .6
17:29:42 <donuts> hrmmm interesting
17:29:54 <championquizzer> i think that's all the major talking points from me. happy to answer questions! :)
17:30:12 <donuts> okay yes the fix was included in 11.0.6 so that makes sense
17:30:27 <championquizzer> yep
17:30:29 <donuts> I don't actually know what the deal is with gettor getting updated
17:30:35 <donuts> do you have any idea championquizzer?
17:30:51 <championquizzer> i am afraid not
17:31:02 <donuts> okay I'll look into it for next time :)
17:31:20 <donuts> I wonder if there's a reason it lags behind, or if it's just something we forget to update
17:32:06 <donuts> my only question was going to be about the sudden spike in MacOS tickets, but you've just answered that
17:32:12 <donuts> so I think we're all good!
17:32:39 <donuts> thanks very much for championquizzer!
17:32:50 <donuts> anything else folks? or shall I close the meeting?
17:32:50 <championquizzer> oh and there's the 'macos <10.12 incompatible with TB 11.0.x' too :)
17:33:02 <nicob> nothing else from me!
17:33:12 <donuts> championquizzer: yeah, nothing we can do there unfortunately :/
17:33:19 <championquizzer> yeah :/
17:33:33 <championquizzer> i'm good too. thanks all o/
17:33:43 <donuts> thanks both! have a good week everyone!
17:33:47 <donuts> o/
17:33:50 <donuts> #endmeeting