16:59:19 <ahf> #startmeeting Network team meeting, 14 March 2022
16:59:19 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Mar 14 16:59:19 2022 UTC.  The chair is ahf. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:59:19 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:59:21 <ahf> hello hello
16:59:27 <dgoulet> yello
16:59:33 <nickm> ohai
16:59:42 <jnewsome> o/
16:59:45 <eta> o/
16:59:47 <Diziet> o/
16:59:48 <ahf> our pad is at https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-2022.1-keep
17:00:20 <ahf> remember this week is where UTC changes for north americans, so expect some chaos around meeting times 8) europeans will follow in a bit where the chaos can then repeat itself! :-D
17:00:37 <mikeperry> o/
17:00:54 <ahf> how are folks doing with your boards ? https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/core/-/boards
17:01:48 <dgoulet> under control
17:01:53 <ahf> lol
17:01:57 <nickm> It looks like there is no longer a needs_review column there.  Did we remove it by mistake?
17:02:00 <ahf> that is the best description i have seen
17:02:13 <ahf> nickm: yes! we removed that one as it created some trouble when moving things around
17:02:18 <nickm> ah, ok
17:02:19 <ahf> as it would strip the other labels on the tickets
17:02:29 <ahf> we also removed one more, but my fever mind cannot remember which one it was
17:02:32 <ahf> dgoulet: you remember that?
17:02:33 <dgoulet> Backport
17:02:36 <ahf> yes!
17:02:41 <dgoulet> very bad to be on a board lol...
17:03:04 <Diziet> nickm: Shall we remove it from the arti-specific board too ?
17:03:15 <nickm> sure, let's.
17:03:27 <ahf> this is one of those places where the paid gitlab would solve this issue with its "enum labels" :-/
17:03:41 <Diziet> nickm: Let me see if I can do that
17:03:45 <mikeperry> do we still set Needs Review on both tickets and MRs, or is just MR for review status now?
17:04:00 <ahf> for tor.git you just create the MR
17:04:20 <ahf> then the bot will assign it for review, but the reviewer can mark it specially (or you) if something is holding it back or something like that
17:04:27 <Diziet> nickm: I think I did the right thing...
17:04:39 <mikeperry> ok. so no more Needs Review tag at all on tickets. ok
17:04:46 <ahf> yep
17:04:47 <dgoulet> only one I still use is "needs revision" but even that is a bit dicy because Reporter's can't remove it if they actually fixed the things outlined so one need to be extra careful at monitoring
17:05:20 <dgoulet> as in it will linger around even after the fixes were pushed tot he MR
17:05:39 <ahf> we could make the bot strip labels on closed MR's / tickets if we want
17:06:04 <dgoulet> not when closed
17:06:27 <dgoulet> this "Needs Revision" business works if both parties in the review cycle can add/remove
17:06:35 <ahf> ah, right
17:06:39 <dgoulet> but anyway... not a biggy
17:06:43 <dgoulet> I rarely use it lately
17:06:52 <Diziet> Isn't that roughly the same as "draft" ?
17:07:05 <ahf> it's a post-review thing where draft is pre review i think
17:07:30 <ahf> i can't see anything wonky with the boards
17:07:33 <Diziet> You can put a thing back into draft as a result of review.
17:07:45 <ahf> yeah, but draft is tracked strangely with the WIP stuff in gitlab :-/
17:07:54 <Diziet> Normally only useful if it's going to be there a while; otherwise there's the "request re-review thing"
17:07:58 <Diziet> Oh
17:08:00 <ahf> ya
17:08:15 <ahf> dgoulet: how are we in tor.git release land?
17:09:18 <dgoulet> we are finalizing couple tickets to go in 047 before (famous last words) the very last 047 alpha
17:09:26 <dgoulet> and then the road onto rc and stable
17:09:44 <dgoulet> can't give you dates yet but I suspect the next alpha is within 1-2 weeks TOP
17:10:02 <dgoulet> -- end of transmission --
17:10:05 <ahf> really nice
17:10:46 <ahf> don't see anything new incoming from other teams other than Diziet ticket from the arti meeting with the anti-censorship team, so that is all good
17:10:59 <ahf> i have one announcement
17:11:11 <ahf> tor have a demo day on 23 of march 2022 during all hands
17:11:19 <ahf> does anybody from our team have something they want to do a 5 min demo of?
17:11:36 <ahf> it can be both things you do at work or things you want to show off as stuff that helps you do cool stuff (i believe)
17:11:53 <ahf> if you do, please let gaba know since they have slots available for this 8)
17:12:14 <Diziet> What's the submssion deadlne ?
17:12:16 <mikeperry> arti VPN demo? :)
17:12:22 <Diziet> mikeperry: haha :-)
17:12:40 <ahf> mikeperry: oh, the one dgoulet did was only in the s101 room?
17:12:43 <nickm> I could demo by arti-breaking tool, but it's a tiny bit esoteric :/
17:12:54 <ahf> Diziet: i think this week is fine
17:13:04 <Diziet> ahf: Ta.  Will have a think.
17:13:04 <ahf> like submitting before friday or something like that should be cool. ahven't seen a deadline date
17:13:33 <Diziet> A lot of the stuff I have been doing recently is very rustic and not really suitable for a general audience.
17:14:15 <ahf> i think the entire engineering gang in tor is currently in one way or another mentally preparing to have to learn rust in the not so distant future
17:14:29 <ahf> so i think it could apply there, but gaba will be able to give a response to whether things fit in i think
17:15:13 <jnewsome> before going on vacation I was toying with the idea of some kind of shadow/tornettools/tornettools+ci demo
17:15:49 <ahf> !
17:15:54 <ahf> i think that would be *very* interesting
17:16:10 <ahf> and i also think showing some of the work that has been happening with simuolations for s61 would be *very* interesting here
17:16:19 <jnewsome> it's a little tricky to convey what's going on and show something interesting in ~5m but I think I could manage something
17:16:34 <ahf> cool!
17:17:06 <ahf> mikeperry: anything related to s61 we need to talk about today? it is a bit of a different meeting since we moved the s61 to bbb today
17:18:21 <mikeperry> I will make MRs for https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/40568 and review overload-general this week, for the
17:18:38 <mikeperry> and we may have a new TROVE/confidential tor issue from that meeting
17:18:43 <mikeperry> whee
17:19:14 <mikeperry> otherwise no, I think
17:19:20 <dgoulet> mikeperry: speaking of ^ I have a question for you on that in a sekrit channel eheh
17:19:42 <ahf> oh oh, bad relays leakage
17:19:44 <ahf> sounds good
17:19:46 <ahf> let's call it then
17:19:58 <ahf> hope everybody gets a good productive week without too much stuff coming in from the sides  :-s
17:19:59 <jnewsome> quick question
17:20:02 <ahf> oh, go
17:20:06 * dgoulet queues a question as well
17:20:17 <jnewsome> it looks like the march part of the pad is empty
17:20:39 <jnewsome> i wasn't here last week - are we still doing that?
17:20:39 <ahf> yes! i think that is because i didn't do anything on the forum posts since the grantlife stuff arrived
17:20:50 <ahf> yes, we are, i just have felt bad for not getting the post out so i haven't poked people about it
17:20:58 <jnewsome> ah ok :)
17:21:11 <ahf> please add stuff there but i will poke people harder when i actually do my part of the task :-)
17:21:31 * dgoulet removes question from queue ... no reason to hold off the meeting on it
17:21:31 <mikeperry> oh shoot yeah I have not updated the pad recently
17:21:55 <ahf> dgoulet: oh, go ahead ?
17:22:05 <dgoulet> 13:22  * dgoulet removes question from queue ... no reason to hold off the meeting on it
17:22:15 <ahf> ah ok
17:22:21 <ahf> ok! see you all in the other channels o/
17:22:23 <ahf> #endmeeting