16:59:14 <donuts> #startmeeting UX Team Weekly Meeting
16:59:14 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Mar 15 16:59:14 2022 UTC.  The chair is donuts. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:59:14 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:59:20 <donuts> hello everyone!
16:59:25 <nicob> hellooo o/
16:59:27 <donuts> and welcome to this week's UX team meeting
16:59:28 <championquizzer> hello o/
16:59:42 <donuts> nah is on her way and will be joining shortly :)
16:59:53 <donuts> the pad (as always) is here: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-ux-team-2022-keep
17:00:02 <donuts> please add any items you'd like to discuss to the agenda
17:01:17 <donuts> Otherwise, there has been a sudden flurry of releases the past week – mostly due to Mozilla's security advisory
17:01:43 <donuts> we'll be following those up with further releases for desktop (and possibly android?) to patch a couple of bugs in the previous two versions
17:01:54 <donuts> likely by the end of the week
17:02:10 <donuts> and that's it for announcements
17:02:13 <championquizzer> yep, 4 updates in the last week
17:02:16 <championquizzer> nice!
17:02:30 <donuts> so many updates!
17:02:43 <donuts> let's take the next few minutes to fill out the weekly planning section of the pad
17:03:11 <donuts> reminder to please highlight anything you'd like to discuss in bold, and check and update the team kanban if necessary too
17:03:23 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards?scope=all&label_name[]=UX%20Team
17:06:20 <donuts> btw hi sweet-curator!
17:06:26 <donuts> just noticed you in the pad :)
17:06:27 <sweet-curator> Hi!
17:06:53 <donuts> I got your email, sorry I haven't had the chance to reply yet!
17:06:59 <donuts> (I was afk yesterday and am still catching up)
17:07:19 <sweet-curator> No worries!
17:07:24 <nah> o/
17:08:02 <nah> i'm still catching up with emails as well
17:08:15 <nicob> hi nah o/
17:08:32 <donuts> Nah: Imauri would like to run a user research session for Tor (is that right Imauri?)
17:08:42 <donuts> Imauri = sweet-curator :)
17:09:03 <sweet-curator> Yes!
17:09:16 <sweet-curator> Assist in helping plan research and conduct
17:09:24 <donuts> that sounds great!
17:09:30 <nah> that's great!
17:09:36 <donuts> I think we sent you all the onboarding materials before, yep?
17:09:37 <nah> we have some research on going
17:09:44 <sweet-curator> Yes
17:09:47 <donuts> https://community.torproject.org/user-research/how-to-volunteer/
17:09:49 <donuts> right
17:10:21 <sweet-curator> There's a few project in the Kanban I felt like I could be helpful in. The tactical research (e.g. usability testing)
17:10:21 <donuts> I can CC nah into our email thread and we can figure out the particulars there (or on a quick call) :)
17:10:29 <sweet-curator> Sounds good
17:10:33 <sweet-curator> Thank you
17:10:37 <donuts> which one's that, sorry sweet-curator?
17:11:02 <sweet-curator> Dropped them in the pad
17:11:19 <sweet-curator> :)
17:11:19 * donuts is checking
17:12:24 <donuts> great, nah can help us pick a research subject (she's got a few topics up her sleeve atm)
17:13:09 <sweet-curator> 👍
17:13:54 <nah> great, i'll follow up with you sweet-curator
17:13:57 <nah> thanks, donuts
17:14:05 <donuts> it looks like we don't have anything in bold in the pad, so are we good to continue with the agenda?
17:14:39 <nah> yess
17:14:54 <nicob> yep
17:15:09 <donuts> okay championquizzer, how are you doing this week? ^^
17:15:26 <championquizzer> posted some updates on the pad, but here goes:
17:15:44 <championquizzer> lot of user reports for fenix#40212
17:15:53 <donuts> yep, that's a shame
17:16:11 <championquizzer> application's team is aware of the issue and i can see a lot of progress on the ticket
17:16:20 <donuts> a consequence of firing out the stable too soon to patch the security advisory I think :/
17:16:35 <championquizzer> updates for users: https://forum.torproject.net/t/new-release-tor-browser-11-0-8-android/2527/3
17:16:39 <donuts> how many is "a lot", out of interest?
17:17:11 <championquizzer> about 5-6 on RT, several on #tor
17:17:16 <donuts> got it
17:17:28 <championquizzer> someone pointed me the reddit thread - a few there
17:17:42 <championquizzer> oh and the forum
17:18:14 <donuts> so many support channels lol
17:18:31 <championquizzer> (i haven't looked at play store reviews) ;)
17:19:00 <donuts> next stable release should be around the 24th
17:19:03 <donuts> which isn't long
17:19:16 <donuts> (android's going to be getting more frequent updates going forward)
17:19:41 <championquizzer> sounds good!
17:19:53 <donuts> I'm not treating this as an emergency since restarting the app seems to work as a workaround – do you think that's okay?
17:20:03 <donuts> emergency = special release asap
17:20:37 <championquizzer> sure, the workaround seems to work (multiple relaunches in some cases)
17:20:47 <donuts> got it
17:21:11 <championquizzer> ok, next topic, following up about the issue with a number of user .ru stuck with 11.0.4 because they can't update easily
17:21:34 <championquizzer> we published this: https://forum.torproject.net/t/tor-browser-11-0-7/2484
17:21:57 <donuts> <3
17:21:59 <championquizzer> in russian (basically 'how to check what version of TB?' and 'old TB, what to do?')
17:22:20 <championquizzer> gettor download links will be updated soon i believe
17:22:30 <donuts> so essentially autoupdates are totally blocked?
17:22:40 <donuts> and they'll need to update manually going forward?
17:22:57 <nah> oh no
17:23:05 <championquizzer> if they cannot connect to Tor, TB will not auto-update (i believe)
17:23:19 <donuts> oh it's due to being unable to connect, got it
17:23:37 <championquizzer> yes
17:23:48 <championquizzer> TB pings https://aus1.torproject.org/torbrowser/update_3/release/downloads.json
17:23:55 <championquizzer> to check for updates i think
17:25:19 <championquizzer> that's all the updates from last week :)
17:25:23 <championquizzer> thanks
17:25:36 <donuts> great, thanks championquizzer!
17:25:38 <nah> thank you, championquizzer
17:25:43 * donuts checks the agenda...
17:27:13 <donuts> One quick update from me:
17:27:37 <donuts> I've been focussing on Tor Browser 11.5 & sponsor 96 over the last two weeks
17:27:53 <donuts> I expect it'll still demand most of my attention this and next week too
17:28:30 <donuts> so, other projects will just have to wait a little – I need to keep things moving for Tor Browser and prevent myself blocking the devs so we can get the most recent dev work into the next Alpha (in April)
17:29:01 <donuts> okay I think that's everything
17:29:12 <donuts> any last comments or Qs before I close the meeting?
17:29:38 <nah> i'm ok, thank you :)
17:29:43 <nicob> I'm good!
17:29:58 <donuts> thanks everyone for coming, and I hope you all have a good week!
17:29:58 * championquizzer too. thanks all o/
17:30:02 <donuts> #endmeeting