15:04:38 <boklm> #startmeeting Tor Browser Weekly Meeting 2022-04-25
15:04:38 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Apr 25 15:04:38 2022 UTC.  The chair is boklm. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:04:38 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:04:50 <boklm> hi!
15:04:59 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> Hello!
15:05:28 <boklm> pad for the meeting: http://kfahv6wfkbezjyg4r6mlhpmieydbebr5vkok5r34ya464gqz6c44bnyd.onion/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:07:10 <richard> o/
15:07:14 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> A wild Richard appeared!
15:07:39 <boklm> o/
15:08:03 <richard> there appears to be some intermittent issue in the calendar to alarm clock pipeline that i'll be debugging after this meeting >:[
15:08:20 <sysrqb> (boklm already started the bot)
15:10:45 <richard> ok
15:12:03 <richard> alright jeremy, let's start w/ this arm tor browser nonsense
15:12:22 <richard> so over the weekend someone came in asking about an issue in some tor-browser arm fork
15:12:33 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> richard, yeah, sorry I didn't answer you on IRC when you asked, I was AFK until after you signed off
15:12:43 <richard> i pretty much agree wiht your assessment
15:13:03 <richard> oh it's fine, i figured if anyone knew about linux tor-browser on strange processors it'd be you :p
15:13:28 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> richard, indeed; I ran across that repo a while back because the Whonix guys asked me about it
15:13:35 <richard> the build outputs make me think tor-browser-build fork, but as you say no source and no contact infio for author so
15:13:43 <richard> as far as I'm concerned it's a curiosity
15:13:58 <richard> thanks for looking into it :)
15:14:10 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> richard, I wish the authors were more open to collaboration; I'd love to have help with this stuff
15:14:35 <richard> ok, so the next point!
15:14:37 <boklm> what/where is this repo?
15:14:42 <richard> ah it's on source forge
15:14:45 <sysrqb> i'm missing some context, but is this the same as: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tbb-dev/2021-April/001199.html
15:15:18 <richard> https://sourceforge.net/projects/tor-browser-ports/
15:15:40 <sysrqb> okay, yeah
15:15:57 <richard> sysrqb: seems to be!
15:16:06 <sysrqb> i dug into it a bit last year, but I don't remember the details now
15:16:11 <sysrqb> i'll try to remember what i found
15:16:29 <sysrqb> i thought i responded to roger on the mailing list, but apparently I didn't.
15:16:35 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> sysrqb, if you can find their contact info, I'd love to chat with them
15:16:40 <sysrqb> maybe i only followed up on irc
15:16:51 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos_: sure thing!
15:17:31 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> thanks :)
15:18:01 <richard> if nothing else, it may be useful to coordinate with them to migrate their users over if we ever have an official arm build
15:18:13 <richard> but that's a pretty long-term view of it
15:18:15 <richard> anyway
15:19:02 <richard> so the next semi major thing
15:19:54 <richard> I sent a mail out last week which I think most on the team have responded; we're in early planning phases for some somewhat major refactor work/cleanup in Tor Browser
15:20:02 <richard> funded even
15:20:29 <richard> with the end goal of making it possible to build/use Tor Browser w/o tor but with the rest of our fingerprinting/security patches
15:20:42 <sysrqb> (woo!)
15:20:57 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> Funded refactors, you say?  I see the universe is happy with us again.
15:21:11 <richard> doc: https://pad.riseup.net/p/AHE22WDRMzRScldvJXe7
15:21:12 <sysrqb> :)
15:21:24 <donuts> oh hello, the applications team meeting event seems to have disappeared from the calendar
15:21:35 <richard> so that's a high-level roadmap plan of the work that needs to happen gaba and I drafted last wee,
15:21:47 <richard> donuts: well gald I'm not the only one
15:22:06 <donuts> it looks like it's been fully deleted?
15:22:10 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> richard, dumb question: how is this different from just using the transproxy environment variable as works now?
15:22:16 <donuts> I'll add a new one
15:22:38 <richard> but anyway, if you all could take a look, add any tasks that I have missed, and add your estimates where your comfortable, that would be most excellent
15:23:19 <richard> and it seems we have tentative agreement on a meeting this thursday at 1700 UTC to go over this and review any dicussion points that come up in offline-review
15:23:49 <richard> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: so this involves also removing a ton of Tor Browser tor-specific patches
15:24:19 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> richard, do those patches actually do any harm in transproxy mode?
15:24:46 <donuts> richard: ty for pulling that pad together, i gave it a read and added a few notes
15:24:54 <richard> from a UX perspective yes
15:25:05 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> Ah, interesting
15:25:39 <richard> somewhere between half and a quarter of our patches are tor specific (ux, torbutton/torlauncher integratoin, etc)
15:26:01 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> richard, isn't TorButton relevant even without Tor, e.g. the security slider?
15:26:14 <richard> hehe yes it is
15:26:38 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> So the intent  is to just remove the Tor-specific parts of TorButton?
15:27:22 <richard> so a big part of this work is merging everything (tor-launcher, torbutton, tor-browser) into Tor Browser, and rearranging our patches so that privacy/security stuff comes before some cutoff point
15:27:29 <richard> after which there will be tor-specific/dependent features
15:27:34 <richard> so security slider would come before that cutoff
15:27:36 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> Anyway sounds like a cool project, I know there is definitely demand for it
15:27:46 <richard> while things like onoin circuit display would come after
15:28:29 <richard> yeah I think folks are generally cautiously excited about it
15:29:02 <richard> but it's still in planning phase and so it may not happen if it's deemed too much work/will take to long/the whims of the funding gods
15:29:02 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> I guess I'm only cautious about "do we have enough people for this without stretching too thin"
15:29:25 <richard> yeah you and me both
15:31:23 <richard> ok and my final topic: Alpha 11.5a9!
15:32:01 <richard> *if all has gone will should be uploaded/uploading today
15:32:10 <donuts> 🎉
15:32:36 <richard> i'm very much looking forward to using boklm's revamped scripts next time around >:[
15:33:09 <richard> does anyone have anything else to discuss?
15:33:21 <aguestuser> nope
15:33:40 <boklm> nope
15:33:52 <donuts> i'm good i think
15:33:54 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos_> nothing here
15:33:58 <sysrqb> nothing from me
15:34:16 <donuts> i'm working on applications/team#6 but will have more to share next week
15:34:22 <richard> alright whomever is driving please pull over thank you
15:34:26 <donuts> (specifically the campaign part)
15:34:56 <richard> (yay)
15:35:02 <sysrqb> ( boklm: you're in control :) )
15:35:05 <boklm> #endmeeting