15:58:58 <meskio> #startmeeting tor anti-censorship meeting
15:58:58 <MeetBot> Meeting started Thu May  5 15:58:58 2022 UTC.  The chair is meskio. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:58:58 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:59:12 <shelikhoo> Hi~
15:59:13 <meskio> hello everybody!
15:59:22 <meskio> here is our meeting pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-keep
15:59:30 <meskio> feel free to add what you've been working on and put items on the agenda
15:59:52 <itchyonion> hello
15:59:54 <cohosh> hi
15:59:59 <ggus> hello
16:00:42 <meskio> first I have an announcement: the bridges telegram bot is already deployed inside rdsys
16:01:11 <meskio> I'm working on an API for dynamic bridges that will come soon, but the main functionality is there
16:02:17 <meskio> I kept in the agenda the poing from last week: Distributed Snowflake Server Support
16:02:34 <meskio> now there is a merge request to review: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/merge_requests/87
16:02:43 <meskio> shelikhoo: anything to say about it?
16:02:50 <shelikhoo> Yes
16:02:53 <ggus> meskio: regarding the integration - are we still sharing the bridges in telegram from that text file?
16:03:13 <shelikhoo> The merge request have already been submitted
16:03:32 <meskio> ggus: yes, the dynamic bridges are in a text file, but I'm working on changing that in rdsys#98
16:03:52 <shelikhoo> although cohosh will be the main reviewer, everyone's comment is more than welcome
16:03:53 <meskio> ggus: there are both dynamic bridges and bridge authority ones
16:04:11 <shelikhoo> since major design change is included
16:04:14 <shelikhoo> over
16:04:35 <meskio> shelikhoo: congrats, is a great feat, I'll try to look into it in the comming days
16:04:41 <ggus> ok! let me know when you stop sharing the bridges from the text file. because some of these bridges have bridgedistribution set to none
16:05:28 <meskio> ggus: I'm not sure I follow you
16:05:34 <meskio> what do we need to change there?
16:06:03 <ggus> we will need to get in touch with the operators and ask them to change their torrc
16:06:21 <meskio> ahh, the ones besides irl, you mean?
16:06:24 <ggus> yep
16:06:30 <ggus> it's only one more person
16:06:33 <ggus> so it's easy
16:06:34 <meskio> true, I forgot about those
16:06:42 <meskio> I'll poke you when I'm ready to do the change
16:06:44 <shelikhoo> meskio: Yes, I will thank myself for convincing others to move away from the a list of approved bridges on client design... it would be significantly more difficult to implement correctly, without proportional security gain
16:06:46 <ggus> ack
16:06:48 <meskio> thank for reminding it
16:06:55 <shelikhoo> hahahah
16:07:03 <meskio> :D
16:08:29 <meskio> anything else on this topic?
16:08:36 <shelikhoo> EOF
16:09:07 <meskio> also from last week, we didn't discuss: RKS hackathon
16:09:13 <meskio> ggus: is that you?
16:09:16 <ggus> yess
16:09:30 <ggus> so
16:09:55 <ggus> RKS is organizing this event: demhack.ru
16:10:04 <ggus> and they invited TPO to be part of it
16:10:19 <ggus> i talked briefly about some projects in an email thread
16:10:30 <ggus> and also asked them more about how it's going to work
16:10:50 <ggus> my proposal is a gettor+bridgesbot in WhatsApp
16:11:21 <ggus> the organizers replied me saying that would be too easy.
16:11:53 <ggus> idk if we continue this plan or if we should increment the tasks
16:12:22 <shelikhoo> I have checked, but is there a unrestricted bot api in WhatsApp?
16:12:36 <ggus> hm, idk
16:12:54 <ggus> and what do you mean by unrestricted?
16:13:30 <irl> oh wait i started writing a bridges bot in whatsapp
16:13:37 <irl> also signal
16:13:46 <meskio> ohh, nice
16:13:46 <shelikhoo> do not require you be be approved by WhatsApp, and have no quota for amount of message/users you can interact with
16:13:50 <irl> maybe i should provide a dump of my thoughts to a person with time to finish it
16:14:08 <irl> i have a "workaround"
16:14:18 <shelikhoo> To say it in another way, easy to be deployed
16:14:26 <ggus> i like "workaround"s :)
16:14:57 <irl> https://gitlab.com/digiresilience/link/metamigo
16:14:58 <meskio> :D
16:15:11 <irl> this is what we use in cdr.link for the whatsapp/signal channels
16:15:16 <ggus> the hackathon will happen on May 20 to 22
16:15:30 <meskio> BTW, there is a signal gettor, but I haven't reviewed it: https://gitlab.com/george/signal-gettor
16:16:04 <meskio> ggus: how many people could be working on this for 3 days?
16:16:28 <ggus> meskio: i asked them this morning, but they didn't answer me yet
16:16:33 <meskio> I don't think is that small for a single person 3 days, but if is a bigger team maybe it is
16:17:03 <ggus> i was checking the previous editions and it seems they've worked on teams
16:17:48 <meskio> we can add to the requirements, localization, anti listing mechanisms (like we have in telegram), ...
16:17:58 <meskio> but I'm happy to hear if other people has other ideas
16:18:01 <shelikhoo> Anyway I think iMessage is one of foreign chatapp accessible in china...
16:18:05 <meskio> also I don't want to step on irl's feets
16:18:36 <shelikhoo> If I could make a wish then it is a bridgebot/gettor bot on iMessage
16:18:51 <irl> Please step on my feet
16:19:02 <irl> I am too busy
16:19:08 <meskio> :)
16:19:32 <meskio> shelikhoo: that is an interesting idea, I wonder how big actually is the userbase of iMessage in china
16:19:49 <meskio> I'm expecting iPhone doesn't have that big market there, but I might be wrong
16:19:55 <ggus> meskio: i thought about breaking the project into tasks and add some 'extras' like porting phw's salmon into the bot
16:20:01 <meskio> AFAIK iMessage is iPhone only, isnt it?
16:20:19 <shelikhoo> iPhone/Mac only
16:20:28 <meskio> ggus: there is not much of salmon implemented, but we can get ideas from it, yes
16:20:38 <shelikhoo> I only lived in big city and you can always find someone that got one
16:21:02 <shelikhoo> but is not that accessible to low income areas, I imagine
16:21:29 <itchyonion> according to a CNBC report iphones actually have the largest market share in China at the end of 2021
16:21:59 <shelikhoo> that is probably because android market is fragmented>
16:22:01 <shelikhoo> ?
16:22:28 <itchyonion> oh yea they are ranking by brand I think.
16:22:54 <ggus> meskio: should i open a ticket on community/team to discuss the activities and move the discussion from the thread to there?
16:23:30 <meskio> 23% market share https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnbc.com%2F2022%2F01%2F27%2Fapple-china-iphone-maker-hits-record-market-share-claims-nopoint1-spot.html
16:23:46 <meskio> ggus: yes, please, let's talk it in a ticket
16:23:53 <meskio> when is the deadline for it?
16:24:53 <ggus> meskio: i think we have till monday to put together a plan
16:25:04 <meskio> AFAIK the teams will pick the ideas they like, isn't it? we can mention whatshapp and iMessage to choose and lets see what they pick
16:25:19 <ggus> yes, i think so
16:27:09 <meskio> good
16:27:14 <meskio> anything else here?
16:27:25 <shelikhoo> nothing from me
16:27:25 <meskio> s/here/on this topic/
16:27:29 <ggus> i'm good
16:27:38 <meskio> there is nothing more in the agenda for today
16:27:48 <meskio> if you have something just shout
16:28:04 <meskio> if not maybe we can pick a paper for our reading group?
16:28:31 <meskio> I was looking at BBS readling list to get ideas: https://github.com/net4people/bbs/wiki/Reading-list
16:29:33 <meskio> Understanding the Impact of Encrypted DNS on Internet Censorship, ACM WWW 2021 - sounds interesting and related to the conversations we are having about dnstt as PT
16:29:46 <meskio> https://shhaos.github.io/papers/www21-DoE.pdf
16:30:06 <meskio> any other ideas?
16:30:24 <itchyonion> i like this one
16:31:02 <shelikhoo> no this one is good enough
16:31:16 <meskio> ok, lets do that then
16:31:51 <meskio> in two weeks, May 19
16:32:20 <meskio> anything else for today?
16:33:06 <shelikhoo> EOF
16:33:20 <meskio> great, let's end this meeting
16:33:28 <meskio> #endmeeting