16:58:25 <ahf> #startmeeting Network team meeting, 30 January 2023
16:58:25 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Jan 30 16:58:25 2023 UTC.  The chair is ahf. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:58:25 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:58:29 <ahf> hello hello, welcome!
16:58:32 <mbeth> hiya
16:58:35 <ahf> our pad is at https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-2023.1-keep
16:58:54 <Diziet> o/
16:58:54 <ahf> giving folks a few minutes to join
16:59:38 <dgoulet> o/
16:59:46 <mikeperry> o/
17:00:07 <ahf> okay
17:00:31 <ahf> we are sort of done with the arti estimations, which is very nice. C tor we should probably look into roadmap stuff next week when i am back from brussels
17:00:43 <ahf> then we can probably get a nicer overview on the board
17:00:47 <ahf> how are folks doing here: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/core/-/boards ?
17:00:54 <GeKo> hi
17:01:02 * nickm is here , and on distracted programmer mode :)
17:01:16 <ahf> the only thing i am unsure about is who should have https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/40661 assigned to them?
17:01:23 <ahf> it's in ~Doing, but with nobody assigned
17:01:58 <ahf> GeKo / dgoulet: ^^
17:02:49 <dgoulet> iirc, this is a patch in C-tor and a dirauth conf change
17:03:14 <dgoulet> so the net team one should be mine and then I suspect GeKo should have a ticket about this in the health team to not lose track?
17:03:14 <ahf> which part of it are we at? :p
17:03:21 <ahf> ah
17:03:25 <ahf> yeah, so it may be split
17:04:02 <GeKo> i thought we'd do a blog post first
17:04:20 <dgoulet> oh yeah that part...
17:04:24 <GeKo> and wondered whether dgoulet would do that one given that he was involved in that proposal
17:04:32 <GeKo> *that#s where we are currently at :)
17:04:50 <ahf> so i can assign it to dgoulet and maybe move it into ~Next forn ow?
17:05:05 <GeKo> then we can do the spliting idea
17:05:08 <dgoulet> I like everyone optimism on this :)
17:05:09 <dgoulet> ok
17:05:14 <GeKo> *splitting
17:05:20 <ahf> it's not something we have to do right now, no?
17:05:26 <GeKo> we'll make it!1!
17:05:30 <ahf> i am fine with whatever here - we can just move it out of ~Doing
17:05:35 <ahf> that is all i care for right now
17:05:39 <ahf> then we can triage it at a later point
17:05:48 <GeKo> i think we could get the blog post out sooner than later
17:06:01 <GeKo> doesn't have to be a long one anyway
17:06:03 <ahf> *could* or *should* ? ;p
17:06:14 <GeKo> should
17:06:19 <GeKo> :)
17:06:26 <ahf> i have it put it in ~Next for now with nobody assigned
17:06:34 <ahf> then we can talk about i t when we look at C tor stuff in the near'ish future
17:06:54 <ahf> i think that was all in the board stuff
17:07:03 <ahf> dgoulet: anything on releases we need to talk about?
17:07:15 <dgoulet> nothing on release side for now. 035 EOL in 15 days ;)
17:07:21 <nickm> (woo)
17:07:25 <ahf> 0.4.5!
17:07:31 <dgoulet> yes sorry!
17:07:34 <ahf> we should almost have aparty just for that
17:07:38 <nickm> (also woo)
17:07:46 <ahf> yeah, 0.3.5 was a long one too /o\
17:07:48 <ahf> awesome dgoulet
17:08:02 <Diziet> 3 is nearly equal to 4
17:08:30 <ahf> yeah! i think 0.3.5 was more painful than 0.4.5 was iirc
17:08:36 <ahf> okay, nothing incoming from other teams
17:09:13 <ahf> we had a relay ops meeting this saturday. i think the only major request other than some stuff that we already have tickets for is a dashboard for grafana, but i saw dgoulet and GeKo talk about that in #tor-dev earlier, so i think that is being talked about
17:09:24 <ahf> we have an announcement from nickm:
17:09:25 <ahf> Nick has dentist appt Thurs 2 Feb, 1400-1500. Might be late for Thursday meeting, if we have it.
17:09:58 <ahf> i think it's very likely we wont have a thursday meeting this week since i am traveling those days, but if y'all need to talk about anything, you can always just take the thursday room and chat
17:10:11 <ahf> okay, on discussion items:
17:10:11 <ahf> qq: when is the FFI/RPC meeting? :) -nickm
17:10:21 <ahf> will come an email later today, just giving folks a few more hours to answer
17:10:30 <ahf> [nickm, 26 jan] Should we propose some ideas for GSoc? Possibilities:
17:10:31 <ahf> build something neat with arti, propose API/doc improvements.
17:10:37 <Diziet> Maybe I should mention there is some risk I randomly decide to cycle to Wentworth (next on my alphabetical villages) if I get too stir crazy, which would mean I would vanish very early some day.  But I doubt that will affect anyone's planning.
17:10:52 <ahf> Diziet: ah, nice
17:11:09 <ahf> do we have anything else we want to consider for gsoc? i don't think we have capacity for doing anything gsoc's on C tor
17:11:20 <Diziet> I thought about it but didn't come up with anything, sorry.
17:11:37 <nickm> So, I'd be happy to be one of two co-mentors on that proposed project if anybody wants to be the other.  But I ought not be sole mentor.
17:11:50 <ahf> would the arti team be interested in moving on with the API examples project?
17:11:55 <ahf> ah, nice nickm
17:12:05 <Diziet> I am very happy to co-mentor
17:12:13 <ahf> very nice
17:12:24 <ahf> do you two want to follow up with gaba than on the thread about this yourself?
17:12:28 <Diziet> nickm: We should chat outside the meeting about proposal doc etc
17:12:35 <ahf> 👍
17:13:00 <nickm> Diziet: works for me
17:13:04 <ahf> awesome
17:13:29 <ahf> i don't think we have anything else for today, so we can move to the last s61 irc meeting for january - next week is the BBB s61 meeting since it'll be first monday of the month
17:13:33 <ahf> thanks all non-s61 folks for joining!
17:13:37 <ahf> mikeperry: wanna take over?
17:13:43 <mbeth> o/
17:13:45 <Diziet> o/
17:13:51 <mikeperry> ok sure
17:13:58 <ahf> thanks nickm <3
17:14:01 <ahf> lol
17:14:06 <ahf> epic pad confusion
17:14:16 <mikeperry> so first up I have been doing the sims for https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/40585
17:14:30 <mikeperry> I have a set of param values to use when exits upgrade
17:14:46 <mikeperry> noted on the ticket
17:15:25 <mikeperry> I also did a couple sims for jim. turns out rob fixed an issue with tgen that was causing higher than normal error rates in the sim. but that did not get rid of all of the errors seen in onion services
17:15:48 <mikeperry> err sorry, the parmam ticket is https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/analysis/-/issues/49
17:16:22 <mikeperry> mispaste. the first ticket I used to record dgoulet's idea about some kind of persistence counter for overload-general
17:16:32 <mikeperry> which I think we table for S112
17:17:23 <mikeperry> juga: you successfully unblocked on the PT load balancing after fixing that parsing issue?
17:17:43 <juga> mikeperry: yes, more or less
17:18:05 <juga> hopefully the other errors go away running the scanner from a faster machine with more bandwidth
17:18:56 <mikeperry> ok
17:19:54 <mikeperry> so then for the conflux update: I implemented stream blocking and unblocking, takeing multiple circuits into consideration. I added helper functions for that and layer_hint checking for streams to conflux_pool.c
17:20:27 <mikeperry> I also implemented some rate limiting for circuit switching, so we don't switch too often (since that will be expensive until prop#340)
17:21:36 <mikeperry> in the process of doing this I added some TODO-329-STREAM markers for where we will have to share pointers of the stream list and half-closed streams, during linking conflux circuits
17:22:02 <ahf> exciting with the conflux work
17:22:28 <mikeperry> dgoulet: so far the git-absorb workflow is working for m; the commit structure is pretty decent, though at some point we'll want to change commit order for ease of reviewing
17:22:39 <dgoulet> excellent
17:22:55 <mikeperry> I need to squash my conflux_next branch for those changes I mentioned
17:23:35 <mikeperry> after that I want to stare at the algs again, with this new rate limiting and stream blocking support
17:23:47 <mikeperry> and update the proposal
17:24:10 <mikeperry> but otherwise I am pretty close to done with the core algs and operation
17:24:19 <dgoulet> nice
17:26:12 <ahf> big time nice
17:26:51 <mikeperry> I could possibly do the circuit purpose stuff next, since I've done that before. it will be a little involved..
17:27:29 <mikeperry> I still generally think that a new purpose will be safer wrt making sure these things are not used elsewhere, but maybe there is another way
17:27:43 <mikeperry> like only using a special purpose until they are linked or sth
17:29:11 <mikeperry> anyway, dgoulet I will let you know when I am about to squash that branch. can update your branch as well then, and perhaps we can sync in bbb
17:29:21 <mikeperry> the next s61 monthly sync is next monday at 18utc
17:29:35 <dgoulet> yup
17:29:38 <ahf> nice
17:30:18 <mikeperry> I think that is all unless there are questions
17:30:45 <GeKo> not from my side
17:31:09 * juga is good
17:31:13 * ahf good too
17:31:45 <mikeperry> ok all good then
17:31:58 <ahf> thanks all o/
17:32:00 <ahf> #endmeeting