15:02:37 <richard> #startmeeting Tor Browser Weekly Meeting 2023-02-13
15:02:37 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Feb 13 15:02:37 2023 UTC.  The chair is richard. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:02:37 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:02:44 <richard> pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-tbb-keep
15:05:12 <richard> busy pad today :D
15:07:15 <richard> ok, so far this week we're on track for 12.0.3 released middle of this week once the android security backports are known, and 12.5a3 sometime after
15:07:51 <richard> the release prep is about ready to be merged so we can start building once that's ready and hopefully we'll have nothign to backport for the 3rd time in a row (one can hope)
15:08:00 <PieroV> I'm building already, maybe we could tag build1 and give them to Tails
15:08:06 <richard> end of this week/early next we should have the next privacy browser alpha built
15:08:08 <PieroV> They should not need the Android backports anyway
15:08:15 <richard> PieroV: good plan (exactly^)
15:08:35 <richard> i updated the changelog in the MR w/ your suggestions
15:08:56 <richard> does anyone have any discussion points?
15:09:09 * Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m] raises hand, points to pad :)
15:09:17 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> Not a critical one though
15:09:46 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> Context is that Robert got SOCKSification working, for both wget and curl
15:09:59 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> So we are now guaranteed that there will be something awesome to demo
15:10:06 * ma1 wonder what a "Tor Demo Day" looks like. Like an all hands, or a whole day?
15:10:10 <PieroV> \o/ great job Robert :)
15:10:13 <richard> neat!
15:10:23 <richard> ma1: is that his weeks all hands or something?
15:10:24 <PieroV> ma1: it's a public BBB meeting
15:10:38 <PieroV> Not very long, about 1hr or less
15:10:49 <PieroV> It depends on how many demos we have
15:10:55 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> Ah yeah, it's been a while since the last Tor Demo Day, I guess ma1 wasn't around yet when the last one happened?
15:10:59 <PieroV> Last year I presented the about:torconnect changes :)
15:11:01 <ma1> no I wasn0t
15:11:04 <boklm> more a Tor Demo Hour
15:11:30 <ma1> :) nice
15:11:33 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> Yeah, sorry about that ma1 , didn't realize I was phrasing it confusingly
15:11:50 <dan_b> nor was i
15:11:50 <ma1> np, and congrats on the win :)
15:11:59 <richard> :D
15:12:03 <PieroV> dan_b: you and ma1 started the same day :D
15:12:09 <dan_b> yup
15:13:02 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> Anyway I assume Gaba is the right person to coordinate a Demo Day? Just wanted to raise it here too in case anyone here has thoughts on the topic.
15:13:22 <richard> when is the Tor Demo Day?
15:13:25 <richard> gaba is afk for the next month or so
15:13:34 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> (Maybe Browser Team people here would have other demos to submit?)
15:13:46 <richard> so you can try to coordinate but i hope you wouldn't get much movement until March
15:13:58 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> richard: Rough plan was to wait until Gaba is back
15:14:25 <richard> ok makes sense
15:14:38 <richard> and congrats on your seemingly successful outreachy intern :)
15:14:45 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> But we didn't have any exact timeline figured out before she went AFK, since Robert only got it working on Saturday, and we wanted to wait until we were certain something was demoable before committing to anything
15:15:14 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> richard: thanks, I will relay your congrats to Robert :)
15:15:32 <PieroV> Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]: last year Gaba started calling for demos some weeks before the presentation day
15:15:42 <PieroV> And we haven't heard anything so far
15:16:29 <PieroV> Last year it was March 23 and she started asking for demos one month earlier
15:16:49 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> PieroV: yeah, so if she calls for demos when she returns, and the Demo Day is scheduled for a few weeks after that, it should be OK from our end I think. But if anyone else prefers a different timeline that's probably OK here.
15:17:24 <richard> sounds reasonable :D
15:17:46 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> PieroV: a 1-month lag time from when she returns is OK for us I think, not sure if other presenters prefer a different timeline
15:17:53 <PieroV> Maybe someone else will organize it this year, I'm not sure
15:18:19 <PieroV> Maybe comms team has more information. I think their meeting was before ours
15:18:38 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> We definitely would like Gaba to at least be back before the Demo Day happens, even if she's not organizing
15:19:45 <richard> ok does anyone else have anything to discuss, needs help with etc?
15:20:16 <PieroV> I don't
15:21:08 <ma1> If it's not too much, I wanted a brief explainer about the workflow when user-visible messages are involved.
15:21:19 <ma1> re: UX team, l10n
15:21:57 <richard> so in terms of UX team, one can tag donuts in the issue and add the UX Team label
15:22:30 <PieroV> (UX Team is for when a UX Team person is the assignee, according to the description, the UX label is the more generic one to use)
15:23:02 <richard> re localization, iirc simply adding the strings to the relevant file in the tor-browser repo should be sufficient, as there is some automatic pipeline which pulls out our strings and adds them to the translations repo and pushed into weblate
15:23:14 <donuts> If it's anything other than a quick ask, please assign an issue to us too (otherwise I'll lose it in the ticket storm)
15:23:15 <donuts> :)
15:23:28 <PieroV> richard: there isn't a pipeline anymore :/
15:23:45 <PieroV> Maybe in the future, for now you need to contact emmapeel, or open a MR in translation.git
15:23:49 <richard> turns out the automatic pipeline is actually emmapeel
15:24:11 <richard> she should be back in a few days and you can ping her then
15:24:16 <PieroV> Also, if the change is big enough, I usually create Linux+macOS testbuilds
15:24:30 <PieroV> And link them to donuts
15:25:01 <ma1> macOS because it's donut's primary driver, right?
15:25:03 <donuts> also also, please keep in mind anything that's not part of an existing contract/objective/roadmap will be bottom of the pile – so apologies in advance for the slowness on our end
15:25:15 <donuts> ma1: yep!
15:25:57 <richard> ok
15:26:03 <richard> anything else?
15:26:15 * Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m] has nothing else here
15:27:04 <richard> alright have a good week everyone
15:27:05 <richard> o/
15:27:10 <Jeremy_Rand_36C3[m]> Thanks!
15:27:11 <ma1> o/
15:27:13 <PieroV> Thanks! Good week o/
15:27:15 <richard> #endmeeting