16:01:20 <donuts> #startmeeting UX Team Weekly Meeting, 28 March 2023
16:01:20 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Mar 28 16:01:20 2023 UTC.  The chair is donuts. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:01:20 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:01:28 <donuts> pad is here as always: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-ux-team-keep
16:01:49 <donuts> please add anything you'd like to discuss today to the agenda, otherwise feel free to head straight to filling out the weekly planning section
16:06:38 <donuts> okay I'm ready, ya'll ready?
16:07:10 <nicob> 👍
16:07:22 * championquizzer is ready
16:07:43 <nah> ready
16:07:51 <donuts> awesome
16:08:04 <donuts> would you like to go first nah?
16:08:09 <nah> sure :)
16:08:30 <nah> last week i shared a bit of the activities and research we did in ecuador in the previous week
16:08:46 <nah> today i want to share the results of the usability testings:
16:08:49 <nah> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/107#note_2890386
16:09:36 <nah> the points the caught my attention, particularly, is how users choose a bridge when given the option
16:09:52 <nah> "participants are more likely to chose the first bridge option listed, followed by "request a bridge". They understand that these two options are more likely to work than the others."
16:10:42 <donuts> it's a weird case of "users are doing the right thing because of the order we've presented the options, but may not necessarily know why"
16:10:56 <nah> yes, exactly
16:11:02 <donuts> which we can probably improve upon in future, but it's not super high priority
16:11:23 <nah> they assume that Tor gave this order because it works better.
16:11:29 <championquizzer> good points. i can confirm i have seen this user behavior from a support pov
16:11:41 <nah> actually, one person chose meek-azure, but the connection failed
16:12:35 <donuts> hopefully the new descriptions will help with things like selecting meek
16:12:44 <donuts> let me refresh my memory of what we've proposed...
16:13:07 <nah> the other point that i want to highlight is that 4 out of 5 research participants didn't understand the purpose of bridge-moji. they tried to interpret the emoji as something that would benefit their browsing: pencil as "this bridge would work better for academic search"
16:13:35 <nicob> oooooh interesting
16:13:45 <donuts> that's a big oof on our part
16:13:56 <nah> donuts: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/100
16:14:37 <donuts> a couple of earlier versions of the bridge card design preceded the emoji with "This bridge's ID:" and "Bridge-moji", but these were cut based on feedback from the wider group
16:15:20 <donuts> the build you tested included the new link, yep nah?
16:15:32 <donuts> e.g. https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/41093#note_2872633
16:16:08 <nah> i wonder if we increase the visibility of "what is this?" on the list of the bridges (instead of individual bridge card) would work better
16:16:40 <donuts> wdym nah?
16:17:07 <nah> so, the new link is not in the list of the bridges
16:17:33 <donuts> where would it be instead, sorry?
16:17:45 <nah> instead it is located on the individual bridge listing
16:17:46 <nah> right?
16:19:07 <nah> the other point is to localize "what is this?" to spanish for the next testing
16:19:15 <donuts> it should be just to the right of the bridge-moji on each individual bridge atm
16:19:48 <donuts> shouldn't be too hard to localize that string
16:19:54 <donuts> did anyone try and click it?
16:20:10 <donuts> oh wait, I think I understand your feedback now – sorry
16:20:18 <donuts> it's not visible in the collapsed state?
16:20:25 <nah> yes, that's it
16:20:29 <donuts> right gotcha
16:20:40 <nah> only one person noticed the link and clicked on it
16:20:49 <donuts> okay we can fix that, and fix the l10n, and retest – but we can also consider more heavy-handed design amends too
16:21:03 <donuts> like resurrecting the "bridge ID" string
16:21:41 <nah> most of them actually tried to click on the emojis to see what happened
16:21:54 <nah> one of the participants tried to erase the bridge line to see if the emojis would change
16:22:13 <donuts> maybe we should wrap the whole block in a link to the manual too
16:22:41 <donuts> regarding the first bit of feedback about bridge lines...
16:22:55 <nah> yep, i think that would be nice too
16:23:03 <donuts> do you think you'd be able to prioritize this issue after the downloads warning please dan_b?
16:23:04 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/41617
16:23:25 <donuts> we'd love to test that one in Mx
16:23:36 <nah> that's the new one!
16:23:54 <nah> it would be great to do it in MX
16:24:18 <nah> i got a room with an organization to do the testings on the 20th and 21st/april
16:24:21 <donuts> oh i see it's already in dan's doing col, so I think they're on it already
16:24:28 <donuts> nah: awesome!
16:25:04 <dan_b> donuts: yep! was looking at that already
16:25:17 <dan_b> hopefully can start late today or tomorrow
16:25:55 <donuts> dan_b: fantastic, thanks!
16:26:06 <nah> that's great, thanks dan_b :)
16:26:15 <dan_b> np
16:26:35 <donuts> okay, anything else you'd like to share nah?
16:26:37 <nah> this is all from me, if you don't have any other questions
16:26:55 <donuts> perfect, tyvm for all your hard work and travel for this!
16:27:30 <championquizzer> i am wondering can we do something where if the bridge line is not complete no emojis will be generated at all?
16:28:13 <championquizzer> (might be easier said than done actually. just thinking out loud :)
16:28:16 <donuts> iirc it depends on us doing some level of validation for bridge lines in general, which is a bigger issue
16:28:24 <championquizzer> right
16:28:29 <donuts> we have a ticket about it, but it didn't make its way into this phase of work
16:28:35 <donuts> however i totally agree
16:29:05 <championquizzer> cool
16:29:07 <donuts> anyway champion of quizzes, i believe you're up next!
16:29:18 <championquizzer> thanks for the updates, nah! very nice work!
16:29:40 <championquizzer> yep, so a follow up from last week's windows bug
16:29:56 <championquizzer> thanks to pier for getting to the root of this and finding the solution
16:30:08 <championquizzer> https://forum.torproject.net/t/tor-setup-application-not-launching/7069
16:31:08 <donuts> nah/championquizzer/nicob: need to step away to deal with an emergency for 2 mins
16:31:12 <donuts> please continue without me
16:31:20 <championquizzer> ack
16:31:35 <nah> ack
16:31:57 <championquizzer> i am a bit stuck with this issue: https://forum.torproject.net/t/page-appears-blank/7066
16:32:09 <nah> championquizzer: is this a common error?
16:32:14 <championquizzer> my question is have we seen anything like this in testing?
16:32:36 <championquizzer> nah: not common, but I have another report of something very similar one month ago
16:32:55 <nah> i haven't seen this before
16:33:14 <championquizzer> basically, my first guess is antivirus messing up with the install but both of the tickets i have reported of not using any AV
16:33:14 <nah> during the testing, i'm using a spare computer to test nightlies with the users
16:33:25 <nah> but on previous remote testings i didn't see this
16:33:36 <championquizzer> i see
16:33:49 <donuts> back
16:34:03 <donuts> I saw the progress on the windows issue! that's great
16:34:07 <championquizzer> apparently nothing happens when clicking on the hamburger menu, so getting the Tor logs is also not an option
16:34:35 <donuts> championquizzer: looks like they're not connected
16:34:49 <donuts> i wonder if they have new tab set to blank
16:35:03 <donuts> weird that the hamburger menu wouldn't work though :/
16:35:12 <donuts> in any case, they should be getting redirected to torconnect
16:35:16 <donuts> so maybe that's broken
16:36:02 <donuts> huh the URL bar should still work too
16:36:07 <championquizzer> yeah
16:36:10 <donuts> I see why you thought it might be AV or a faulty install
16:37:00 <donuts> okay I'm afraid I have no idea either, haven't came across this one
16:38:13 <championquizzer> i will try to reproduce this if i can and follow up with them. let me know if you see this and/or find something about this
16:38:25 <championquizzer> thanks :)
16:38:28 <nah> will do
16:38:32 <donuts> thanks championquizzer! will do
16:39:03 <donuts> we good to move on with the agenda?
16:39:15 <championquizzer> yep, i'm good with the updates
16:39:20 <nah> same
16:40:03 <donuts> so following today's fun announcement, we'll need to find a new time for our friday 1:1s 😂
16:40:38 * nah opening the calendar
16:40:50 <donuts> how about thursday afternoon instead? hopefully we can dodge S9/30 and comms meetings
16:41:07 <donuts> please let me know what times work for you around then
16:41:47 <donuts> maybe we could do 1800 for nah (is that too late though?) and 1900 for nicob?
16:41:56 <donuts> lmk if it's outside your working hours nah
16:41:57 <nah> donuts: the hour after s30 meeting works for me
16:42:17 <nah> it's not :)
16:42:24 <nicob> oh yeah 1900 should wfm since comms is at 2000 now
16:42:24 <donuts> awesome, ty :)
16:42:32 <donuts> also awesome
16:42:46 <donuts> okay I'll just perma-move the recurring events for now
16:43:05 <donuts> if the grand experiment fails we can always move 'em back if we want, or leave fridays as a meeting-free zone in the longer term
16:43:17 <donuts> that might be nice anyway
16:43:39 <nah> yep!
16:43:50 <nicob> cool, thanks donuts!
16:43:54 <donuts> thank you both!
16:44:13 <donuts> okay I was humming about giving a couple of team/project updates before the meeting closes
16:44:15 <donuts> but you
16:44:20 <donuts> lol woops
16:44:25 <donuts> but you're all mostly up to speed anyway
16:44:49 <nah> :D
16:45:05 <donuts> the team roadmap has had an initial pass done for Q2: https://www.figma.com/file/n4ETd0cUkcfj3KyclJQnt3/UX-Team-Planning?node-id=0%3A1&t=TAfV4MJoGjj9oB29-1
16:45:10 <donuts> please let me know if anything needs moved
16:45:23 <donuts> otherwise we can chat about it in person in CR
16:45:55 <donuts> secondly, there's a whole lotta stuff going on for S9/30/131 this and next month – so I just wanted to say ty for all your hard work on those projects
16:46:32 <donuts> miraculously everything appears to be going pretty much to plan, and we're on track to close these projects by next quarter
16:47:01 <donuts> after which we'll refocus back to S9, S96 and S101 for the remainder of the year
16:47:44 <nicob> only thing I see on the road map that will prob need to be extended past the CR meeting is the annual report :)
16:48:59 <donuts> right, lemme take a look...
16:49:03 <championquizzer> thanks for all the hard work, ux team! \o/
16:49:43 <donuts> nicob: is that better?
16:49:52 <donuts> championquizzer: thank YOU for all your hard work too! <3
16:49:52 <nicob> yeah looks good! ty
16:49:55 <nah> donuts: thanks for adapting the roadmap and sharing the good news! the first 3 months of the year were very intense :)
16:49:56 <donuts> awesome
16:50:08 <nah> also thank you championquizzer \o/
16:50:11 <donuts> 😬
16:50:18 <nicob> thank you all!! :3
16:50:24 <championquizzer> :D
16:50:45 <donuts> okay let's end it on positive vibes :D
16:50:55 <championquizzer> have a good week! o/
16:50:56 <nah> hehe
16:50:59 <nicob> \o/
16:51:13 <donuts> thanks everyone! catch you online!
16:51:14 <donuts> #endmeeting