15:58:34 <shelikhoo> #startmeeting tor anti-censorship meeting
15:58:34 <shelikhoo> here is our meeting pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/r.9574e996bb9c0266213d38b91b56c469
15:58:34 <shelikhoo> feel free to add what you've been working on and put items on the agenda
15:58:34 <MeetBot> Meeting started Thu Nov 23 15:58:34 2023 UTC.  The chair is shelikhoo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:58:34 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:59:10 <meskio> hello
15:59:23 <shelikhoo> hi! i looked at the pad, and it didn't say it should be me
15:59:30 <shelikhoo> although I think it is my turn
16:00:59 <shelikhoo> the read write meeting pad link can be requested in private message
16:02:20 <meskio> mmm, maybe I didn't update it last week, sorry
16:03:13 <onyinyang[m]> hello! o/
16:03:26 <shelikhoo> don't worry, it is not an issue...
16:03:29 <shelikhoo> hi~
16:05:37 <shelikhoo> okay, I think we can start the meeting
16:06:00 <shelikhoo> Let's start with the first topic
16:06:00 <shelikhoo> manifest v3 deprecation in browsers and snowflake webextension
16:06:00 <shelikhoo> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/issues/29
16:06:00 <shelikhoo> https://developer.chrome.com/blog/resuming-the-transition-to-mv3/
16:06:00 <shelikhoo> google chrome will stop supporting mv2 June 2024
16:06:01 <shelikhoo> will the snowflake webextension stop working? do we want to do something? or just reommend firefox?
16:06:09 <shelikhoo> I think this is from meskio?
16:06:12 <meskio> I did add this point to the agenda, yes
16:06:40 <meskio> google chrome is going to stop supporting manifest v3 extensions by June 2024, they keep postponing that date
16:06:47 <meskio> but maybe now is the real one, we'll see
16:06:56 <onyinyang[m]> oh yeah, I recall this :(
16:06:57 <meskio> anyway, AFAIK that will break snowflake's extension
16:07:17 <meskio> I know cohosh is being working  on it, so maybe we should delay that conversation to a meeting where she is around
16:07:35 <onyinyang[m]> that probably makes sense
16:07:55 <shelikhoo> Yes, we can discuss this again next time
16:08:16 <meskio> stop supporting manifest *v2*
16:08:21 <meskio> only v3 will be supported
16:08:27 <meskio> (a mistake on the version on my writting)
16:08:42 <meskio> but let's talk about it in the next meeting
16:08:46 <shelikhoo> anyway we wants to discuss this week about this topic?
16:09:00 <shelikhoo> the next topic is
16:09:01 <shelikhoo> BridgeStatus format change
16:09:01 <shelikhoo> Introduced in https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/connectivity-measurement/probeobserver/-/merge_requests/5
16:09:01 <shelikhoo> Example: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/connectivity-measurement/bridgestatus/-/blob/main/recentResult_cnnext?ref_type=heads
16:09:35 <shelikhoo> logcollector was updated to support custom bridge line for snowflake
16:09:49 <shelikhoo> and for this reason both snowflake bridges are tested now
16:09:58 <meskio> nice
16:10:15 <shelikhoo> there is a observable change in the name of bridge as shown in bridge status
16:10:59 <shelikhoo> if there is anything looking into it, the change of bridge name may need attention
16:11:13 <meskio> why is there 10 snowflake1 bridges?
16:12:06 <shelikhoo> each snowflake bridge line was tested 10 times
16:12:16 <shelikhoo> so it looks like there is 10 bridges
16:12:17 <meskio> I see
16:12:20 <shelikhoo> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/connectivity-measurement/bridgestatus/-/commit/7b81de216f4a6af1afe4a8c1ffc41d9ba8d725f7
16:12:36 <meskio> do we test only domain front? or also ampcache?
16:13:04 <shelikhoo> we are testing domain fronting now. I can add ampcache in maybe 30 minutes
16:13:10 <shelikhoo> so I will do that soon
16:13:16 <meskio> :)
16:13:17 <meskio> that is fast
16:13:55 <shelikhoo> we may need to look at some test results that show snowflake was worrying unreliable
16:14:04 <shelikhoo> like this one https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/connectivity-measurement/bridgestatus/-/commit/7b81de216f4a6af1afe4a8c1ffc41d9ba8d725f7
16:14:32 <shelikhoo> this is about about mid night at Ireland and or 8 AM at China
16:15:06 <shelikhoo> and there was almost no successful bootstrap
16:15:19 <shelikhoo> at other times. the test show more successful result
16:15:36 <shelikhoo> about 50% of times, snowflake will bootstrap
16:15:53 <shelikhoo> this was not a great sign and we should look into it when possible
16:16:15 <meskio> ufff, I wonder how much the packet loss fixes might help there
16:17:01 <shelikhoo> 2023/11/23 01:11:07 Received Answer.
16:17:01 <shelikhoo> 2023/11/23 01:11:17 WebRTC: closing DataChannel
16:17:01 <shelikhoo> 2023/11/23 01:11:17 WebRTC: closing PeerConnection
16:17:01 <shelikhoo> 2023/11/23 01:11:17 WebRTC: Closing
16:17:01 <shelikhoo> 2023/11/23 01:11:17 WebRTC: timeout waiting for DataChannel.OnOpen  Retrying...
16:17:01 <shelikhoo> 2023/11/23 01:11:17 WebRTC: Collecting a new Snowflake. Currently at [0/1]
16:17:44 <shelikhoo> This is was the common error message, and it seems not to be a packet loss issue, but instead the remote was unreachable according to the packet capture
16:18:28 <shelikhoo> this not an issue for snowflake as it can try again, but if it takes to many try for it to be successful, then the process will fail
16:18:33 <shelikhoo> with timeout
16:19:05 <shelikhoo> we should keep a eye on this
16:19:17 <meskio> I agree
16:19:17 <shelikhoo> over
16:19:56 <shelikhoo> Finally there is a interesting link
16:19:57 <shelikhoo> https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9505 A Survey of Worldwide Censorship Techniques
16:20:47 <shelikhoo> someone send me this link with a summary of RFC (proposal?) of survey of censorship methods
16:20:58 <meskio> interesting
16:21:44 <shelikhoo> It was *said* to be a little old, but could be a good point to start for someone trying to get into anticensorship
16:21:50 <shelikhoo> over
16:22:28 <meskio> I added it to my wallabag, I'll check it out :)
16:22:50 <shelikhoo> yes, it was a little long...
16:23:21 <shelikhoo> but anyway, I didn't see any any new points... anything more we would like to discuss in this meeting?
16:23:31 <meskio> not from my side
16:23:36 <onyinyang[m]> not from me either
16:24:28 <shelikhoo> #endmeeting